Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 7,479

Octane

@YummyHappyPills If that's the case then I don't expect Pikmin 4, or Retro's project.

So... Yoshi, Smash, Fire Emblem... and maybe Pokemon? I couldn't care less about Yoshi at this point, it's probably a fine platformer, but I don't really need to see more. Fire Emblem is not my thing. And Smash is Smash. I'll get it eventually, but it will look like the Wii U game, and it will play like Smash. Not really exciting IMO. Pokemon could be... if it's there. Maybe another small project for late 2018, maybe another Wii U port I guess? Labo?

Expectations lowered.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane That is Nintendo's official line I'm afraid.

GoNintendo wrote:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is returning to the E3 video game trade show in June with fan-favorite activities and new features to keep watchers around the world and attendees in Los Angeles engaged and having fun. As in recent years, Nintendo will focus its E3 activities on games coming soon, with a special spotlight given to a key headlining title: the recently announced Super Smash Bros. game coming to the Nintendo Switch system this year. Games launching beyond 2018 will be featured at a later date.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/307905-nintendo-outlines-plans...

So yeah. We already know everything they are going to show first party wise. Maybe include some news on late June/July releases as reminders like the last Octopath Characters, Captain Toad exists, give WOlf2 another final push same for Tennis. Usual fare.

In terms of their first party holiday lineup, like last year we know it all. Yoshi will be fine but they showed a lot of it last year and it looked very rudimentary. It can get a date and one or two showings of new content in Treehouse and Ill be fine.

Fire Emblem will get its reveal FINALLY after what will be 18 months of waiting. Itll be Fire Emblem. Neat.

Smash honestly cant look better than the Wii U game as that was already 1080p 60fps (By some miracle) so the focus is all on mechanics and roster which is probably why they want to hold the tournament.

Pokemon maybe, but it could also NOT happen.

And third parties lol what are they? If we go off of last year all they gave us on that front was Skyrim, Rocket League, a snippet of FIFA18, Mario + Rabbids got a mention, and they put some DLC filler in the middle.

And I still dont think we are getting FIFA19 but that is the serious pessimist in me predicting that. I wouldn't expect it.

And yeah, lower those expectations. I'm prepared for an E3 2016, solid but unremarkable. We wont get another 2014.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

@JohnnyShoulder Honestly yeah that's an important point but from Nintendo's stand point system bricking due to third part docks won't be a good enough reason for cloud saves. If anything it plays into their favor and forces people to buy an official Nintendo dock.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@Octane I would expect Pikmin before Pokemon. They've been teasing it for god-knows-how-long.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@YummyHappyPills Yeah, I was looking on NintendoLife, but I couldn't find that statement, I had to go to GoNintendo too. But thanks anyway!

The thing with Yoshi is that the Wii U game wasn't bad, but it wasn't great like Tropical Freeze, nor did it do something unique like the Wii U Kirby game. We've had yarn games before in Kirby, and we were also getting Unravel. Another 2D yarn platformer, but that one actually made some clever use of the yarn. In Yoshi it was just aesthetics. I wish they did a little more with that concept. This one looks like a sequel, but with more cardboard. Flipping the level was something that was present in Woolly World too, so I don't know why they're suddenly making a big deal out of it lol. Like Woolly World, it's probably a fine game, one of those 7/10 games, but with a strong competition, and a €60 price tag (let's be honest, that's a given at this point), it'll make me thing twice!

My hopes for Smash are a ton of new characters. If you cannot distinguish the games by looks, make them distinguishable by characters, modes, moves and other features. I've said before that I wouldn't mind if they trimmed the roster down to 25-30, and added around 20 new characters to fill it back up to around 50. That would make it worthwhile IMO. Whoever they're going to cut, people will be disappointed I guess!

Pokemon is a bit of a wild card I think. We shall see (provided it's even present at E3 of course).

As for third parties, I don't know. If there's anything exclusive, it's maybe another Ubisoft game, maybe some Square Enix RPG. I honestly don't know. But I find it difficult to come up with big projects they could reveal in June and release later that year. But they did the same for that Rabbids game, so what do I know?

Octane

mookysam

@Octane How is a game "almost complete" three years ago and not released? Madness. Let's just hope it's not been repurposed into a mobile game.

Yoshi is by no means a system seller, although Woolly World is my favourite Wii U game alongside Pikmin 3. I found it very therapeutic. Sounds silly perhaps, but parts of it really soothed me. It was also nice playing something that was still tough in places if I wanted to get all the collectibles, but not masochistic like Tropical Freeze.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@Octane I did think Wooly World was a legitimately fantastic game, though. It's the closest Nintendo has come to recreating the magic of the original Yoshi's Island since... well, ports of Yoshi's Island. Probably the best platformer I've played on the system.

@mookysam Nintendo doesn't repurpose games for mobile like Square Enix. I'm sure they've been holding it back to bolster either the late 2018 or early 2019 lineup, like they held back the basically complete Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild until early and late 2017, respectively.

TheTetrisGuy

Backups, free virtual console with online and voice chat with more on the way... not bad for $20!

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Ralizah

Cloud saves is all I really wanted. Sold!

Tasuki

So is the voice chat going to be like they originally planned through some sort of app on your phone or is it going to be handled through the system like PS and Xbox?

My Backlog

Fight_Teza_Fight

I'm considering signing up just for the virtual console. I don't play online and cloud saves I guess is nice.
Is there another way to back up your saves? Did Nintendo just put that behind a paywall?

So I'm not sure how the whole virtual console works. Do you download the games or stream them?

It's a bit bare bones, but the price is nice. Would've loved some additional EShop discounts. The family bundle in particular is fantastic value if you share it between friends and family.
If Nintendo allow us to stack subscriptions I can see myself picking up a few years worth. I can see there being a price hike this time next year, once enough people have bought in.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Tasuki

@Fight_Teza_Fight I am kinda mixed on the family bundle to be honest. I think they should have done it like PSN where the you only have to buy + for the main account and then everyone has online access. Then again they could have don't like XBL Gold where every single user has to by a Gold membership at full price.

Still I probably will pass on it. I already pay for PS+ and the only Switch game I play online would be MK8 Deluxe and if I want to play that online I can just fire up the Wii U and play it on that online for free.

While the VC games are tempting I can probably guarantee that I already have the games I want in other formats whether it be in original cartridge, collection packs, rereleases, Wii/Wii U/3DS VC etc. I don't need them again even though they have online leaderboards and other online extras.

Cloud saves could be nice I guess but honestly that's something they should offer for free.

My Backlog

Octane

@Fight_Teza_Fight Streaming NES games is pointless. I don't see why you wouldn't download them?

I'm not a big fan of the cloud saves behind a paywall either. At least add in the option to make manual saves, because as of now, saves are still locked on the system itself. You can't even move them to an SD card.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

Hmm have read through the offerings and to be honest, I'm only really interested in cloud saves. I still have a NES and might pick up a NES classic this summer when they re-release. I'd be up for N64 onward games but I'll never get back to the old NES classics other than an occasional dip. I rarely play MP, and when I do it will more likely be local as opposed to online.

I do feel a little like its a $20 tax to ensure save files can't get lost. I know Sony and MS do it as well but at least I can slap the saves on a pen drive or something.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

johncalmc

Honestly, that online thing is actually better than I was expecting. It's obviously not as robust as what PlayStation or Xbox offers but then a) how could it be? and b) the price reflects that. I feel like I'd play my Switch more/ever if I could play some old classics here and there between other games.

While I'm on it, how is Tropical Freeze? My Wii U had been sent to bed without supper by the time that came out and so I never played it the first time around. I might slap it on my birthday list along with Xenoblade 2, Ni No Kuni II, Detroit, whatever else.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Octane

@johncalmc Tropical Freeze was very good on the Wii U so... If you don't mind paying more than the original price on the Wii U, then go for it.

Octane

Gamer83

@johncalmc
DKCTF is really good. Up there among the best 2D platformers ever made. Rare's original series on SNES was awesome but Retro's take on the series destroys it.

Gamer83

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic