Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 1,842

YummyHappyPills

@KALofKRYPTON People objected to people on the internet cracking light hearted jokes about the quality of something they enjoy?

Should have been a Wii U player bro Thats all ya had for 5 years, because there sure werent games XD

YummyHappyPills

YummyHappyPills

Either way, the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 and 2 both land in Japan on July 26th. Various unique boss challenges and movies available.

Collection 1 is X/X2/X3/X4, and Collection 2 is X5/X6/X7/X8.

In Japan you can get it physically and digitally on PS4. Digital only on Xbox One and PC. Digital on Switch with a physical release that requires one of the collections to be downloaded.

I imagine this will ring true for the West, with some modifications. That will be physical releases in the US on PS4 and Xbox One, with the same cheap physical release for Switch. The EU wont get any physical releases, as usual.

YummyHappyPills

JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy wrote:

The point I was making though was that @JohnnyShoulder was miss-informed if he thought that the PS3 was significantly more powerful and struggled to run the multi-platform games as well.

Check what i said, it wasn't that.

I always assumed the PS3 was the slightly more powerful console. This was from articles and reviews i read when choosing between the two consoles. One of the reasons i chose the 360 was cos some of the games i was interested in performed better on the 360.

JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills It's nice that I'll be able to buy all of the actually good MMX games in one cheaper collection.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

YummyHappyPills

Switch isn't getting that Mega Drive compilation other systems are getting, it's getting something better...but worse.

Better in that M2, the guys behind the 3DS 3D Classics from SEGA, are porting titles to Switch under the SEGA AGES banner, which means they will likely be bespoke ports rather than emulators with potential issues, if their 3DS work is anything to go by.

The downside is, individually sold it seems, so more expensive.

YummyHappyPills

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills Hopefully we get most or all of the same games over time.

I don't mind them being sold individually, as it just means I can buy what I want and ignore the rest.

YummyHappyPills

Valkyria Chronicles 1 is releasing on Switch in Japan.

I mean thats hardly relevant unless it gets localised (doubtful atm) but its a thing thats happening.

This has been pointed out on NL but is worth repeating here:

Seeing DQ Heroes 1/2 still not localized, seeing Nobanuga's Ambition Taishi, which already released on Switch in Japan, get announced for PS4 and PC in the west but not Switch, continues to paint the picture we see where publishers only believe western sales come from non-Nintendo platforms.

And then you can live in Europe where it feels more and more like we are only getting third party games when someone else foots the bill.

A lot of Nicalis games are only released here later because yes, someone else paid up. Dark Souls is published by Nintendo of Europe here at retail. Same for DOOM and Skyrim.

And lets not even talk about Capcom...they straight up said theres no money in it.

It loops back to a discussion in the chit chat thread, for the UK at least, stores only stock the usual sellers because those are the only ones that move, so why release physical gamss on the worst performing system here when no one will give even notable Switch games shelf space, or niche games on the market leader PS4 any room?

Seems the only reason we are seeing third party on Switch is because other people foot the bill.

Edited on by YummyHappyPills

YummyHappyPills

KALofKRYPTON

Thunder Force IV by the AGES team... I'd take that on PS4 over God of War!

@YummyHappyPills the Mega Drive collection looks like a port of the Steam collection that's been about for a while.
It's really badly optimised, so Switch is better off without it.

KALofKRYPTON

johncalmc

@YummyHappyPills It's a really tough situation because, on the one hand, conventional wisdom says that Nintendo needs third party if they want a hugely successful console, but at the same time I'd wager that most people buying one are only using it for first party games and still use their Xbox or PlayStation as their primary gaming system because that's where all the big games are. It's nice that people are trying, but when the PSVR version of Skyrim outsells the Switch one, it raises questions.

I know, anecdotally, so the proverbial pinch of salt is required, that all my local shops paint a grim picture for the Switch despite the sales. It's like you go online and read the news and see insane sales numbers and it's like, wow, and then you go out to a shop and it has less shelf space than novelty Pokemon mugs. Even if the third party market completely collapses - which I think it probably will, as many predicted long ago - I still think the console will be fine.

johncalmc

Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@johncalmc I think - despite Ninty's best efforts, Switch will continue (and eveually surpass) sharing the indie space with Vita.
So long as that continues and larger third parties see that the install base remains large, accepting of indies and as impassioned as Vita lovers - the 3rd party space will be fine.

KALofKRYPTON

Rudy_Manchego

@johncalmc I agree. Also anecdotally, in my work there are five of us with a Switch and all of us game on other machines primarily (a couple on PS4 but the rest PC). All of us have BOTW, Mario Kart and Odyssey and a few indies (I have the most titles with Doom and Skyrim). I think this might be why we keep seeing these games break the top twenty in the UK as people like the Switch, buy the software they can't get elsewhere and play that. People are buying it for the form factor and great first party games as a refresher from other hardware.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc The Switch is performing far worse in the U.K. than in other regions, though. ESPECIALLY at retail. I don't think your local game shop's Switch section is any more indicative of a grim future for it than, say, the low-ish sales figures of the PS4 in Japan week after week when compared to Switch.

johncalmc

@Ralizah I have no idea, which I guess is why I said to take it with a pinch of salt. I certainly haven't done any hard hitting analysis of the situation. I'm just always surprised when I see the Switch section in a game shop because it always looks pretty sad.

When you say Switch is doing worse in the UK compared to other regions, do you mean some other regions, or most other regions? I naturally assumed it was doing nowhere near as strong in Europe as it was in the US because that makes sense.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc

The Switch has apparently become "the highest-selling console of all time in the French market"
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/01/12/nintendo-switch...

Fastest selling Nintendo console in Germany.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/01/18/the-nintendo-sw...

It's apparently selling pretty well in Italy.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/01/11/nintendo-switch...

The Switch was the fastest selling console in its first year in the U.S.
And we all know how it's doing in Japan.

I mean, we don't have explicit, constant sales data for a lot of markets, but it seems to be selling incredibly well almost everywhere... except for the U.K.

Edited on by Ralizah

YummyHappyPills

@johncalmc The Switch is probably the worst performing in the UK out of anywhere globally.

In the US, Japan, France, Italy, Spain...its either outpacing the PS4 (Japan) or Wii (Europe) and becoming the fastest selling system in the respective country ever, just like in the US.

When we say its worst in the UK we MEAN its worst in the UK. Its almost an exception!

But if you looknat tge Switch eShop in the UK, third party stuff is routinely leaps and bounds above first party. In fact yesterday the highest first party thing was MK8D, with I believe 10 or so third party titles like Football Manager, Stardew, Skyrim etc. Above it.

The retail scene paints a grim image yes...but almost every other country its available in paints the exact opposite image.

YummyHappyPills

KALofKRYPTON

Guys - seriously - 700,000 units sold in the UK up to February, that's not a failing market or even poor sales!

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

@johncalmc

Diverse install base and multiple ecosystem users.

I wouldn't buy an XB1, but would consider a Switch had I not got the Vita. I know several people with some combination of PS4, XB1 and Switch hardware.

KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic