Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 7,480

Tasuki

@KratosMD I agree with you mate, what you posted is how I feel about the series as well. I remember growing up during that era and all my friends were all about DKC. Don't get me wrong it was a technical achievement at the time and it's nice to look at, but game play wise I always thought the Super Mario World games were far better. I also think that Rare doing them blinded some people as at that time Rare could do no wrong.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki "Rare could do no wrong"

Last I checked DKC was the first they did RIGHT, because bloody BATTLETOADS exists!

I dont even think SMW is that good of a game. The level aesthetic, power up variety and such is all hilariously lacklustre. Controls nice though.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

So Nintendo did mention that digital sales are fast overtaking physical sales for them, at least for third parties. This is in line with statements from Microsoft and PlayStation too.

Thing is, it's not hard for those digital third party sales to be record third party sales PERIOD, on all platforms of theirs, but it also helps that metric that most third party games don't release physically in a lot of regions, usually Europe, or have caveats that make them more desirable digitally.

Ralizah

I don't care for Super Mario World. The music is weird, the power-ups were underwhelming in comparison to SMB3, and I didn't find any of the level designs to be particularly striking. Also, it introduced Ghost Houses, which I still detest to this day.

Yoshi's Island is pretty great, though.

I only played both within the last few years, for context. Same with all of the DKC games. They're... OK. I liked DKC2 and DKCR, but I never understood why people seem to love them so much.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

Ghost houses! <3

Those are my personal favorite levels in SMW. That game is pure perfection to me.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@YummyHappyPills Honestly when Battletoads came out it was never looked on as a bad game, hard as **** sure but it wasn't a considered a bad game back then. Plus before DKC you had Killer Instinct as well which was considered a success.

@KratosMD Yep that's how I felt about DKC

@Ralizah Agree when I compare SMW to SMB3 I prefer SMB3 for the reasons you mentioned. But when I compare SMW to DKC.... Although In will agree with @Kidfried on the Ghost Houses as those will some of my favorite levels as well.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

mookysam

Super Mario World is the best 2D Mario and probably one of the best 2D platformer, period. Like many Nintendo games of the era the design is extremely elegant, with art that is simple but bold and levels that build on eachother like layers.

Outside of playing DKC3 at my friend's house a few times, I never played the DKC games when they were originally released so I don't have any nostalgia for them. They're decent though and one area I particularly admire them is the music. I really, really enjoyed the first Donkey Kong Country Returns. Weirdly I did not really like Tropical Freeze, and honestly I'm baffled by the praise it gets. It seemed overly complex for the sake of it, which I think made the level design a little sloppy. I did play it right through to the end as I rarely quit a game even if I'm not feeling it.

The greatest sidescroller of the modern era (that I've played) is arguably Rayman Origins. It surprised me at every turn and is an absolute delight to play. I'm looking forward to playing Legends one day.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

Ive read everyones comments on DKC, SMW and older games. It is really really difficult to put yourself back there in the past and what they meant to gamers who were massively in the minority.

Most of the people I knew who played games had commodore 64s or Spectrums just before the snes released. NES was popular in the UK but the 8 bit home computers all had games at a quarter of the price or less, so anyone with a NES had like 3 or 4 games max. Usually the duckhunt/mario cartridge and another couple of random games.

So the jump from the likes of Jet Pak (Rare Game), Dizzy, Rik Dangerous and Super Mario Bros original which were the best games at the time to Super Mario World was crazy.

Super Mario World was categorically THE best games at that time to play as it came packed in with the snes (I never got one and was gutted). Cartridge games were also seen as luxury items being the equivelent of £100-£125 in todays money. So most kids my age lucky enough to own one only had a couple of games each until prices came down and more games released a few years later. So everyone knew every secret from SMW and learnt the game intimately.

Donkey Kong Country came with the craze popularized by Mortal Kombat with 3d polygon figures reduced into a 2d sprites. It was ground breaking stuff at the time and apparently the future of games. Yes it does look a bit naff now but back then it was like Woah Im playing the future.

Anyways Ive gone way off kilter here and I dont play Donkey Kong anymore as its rubbish and the collision detection isnt great. Mario World I still enjoy due to the great controls, challenge and obstacle diversity. Both games suffer with ridiculous enemies with no context, a lacklustre story and pointless collecting of bananas and coins.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Haruki_NLI

I'm still confused as to why Nintendo is allowed to push FIFA marketing despite Sony having the exclusive marketing.

Either way, they both announced the World Cup update is free at the end of the month.

JohnnyShoulder

@YummyHappyPills I'm not sure how these marketing deals work, but with a title like Fifa when it is guaranteed to have a game released every year, is it plausible that the deal was struck for a few years? So when it was first contracted the Switch wasn't even around and it only gave Sony marketing rights over MS.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

@KratosMD I've never seen a company pass a four-year-old game for €60, when it originally released at €50, and got a €20 budget release a few years later, either.

It genuinely feels like they're trying to make people forget there is was a cheaper version of this game available.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Only in the US it seems. Typical NoA being weird.

Regarding all the suddenly offended Wii U owners (Who apparently exist and are quite loud now, not when it matters), I have two things to say.

1 - Realistically, why is this a big deal? You can redownload it if you already bought it, and how is this "A slap in the face to Wii U owners" when all 13.5m of you had 4 years to jump on this game, nearly 2 years at budget price? If you didn't do it back then, what's going to make you jump on it now?

2 - Also realistically, why is this a big deal? The system is dead. They haven't made any new units since January 31st 2017. The news that DKCTF is coming to Switch for $60 surrounded by Wii U owners saying "But its $20 on Wii U" is not going to suddenly make someone buy a Wii U (Somehow), and grab DKCTF there for the sake of $40.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

RR529

South Park & the Naruto trilogy continue to climb in the US eShop charts!

South Park is now at 10 (was 15 yesterday), and Naruto is at 4 (can't remember where it was yesterday, but I do remember it was a few spots lower).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TheTetrisGuy

Octane wrote:

Shady business 101:

Lol how is that shady? Yeah it’s a little odd, but it makes sense. There’s a brand new version coming out, and the pulled the old one. It’s not like you can’t play the Wii U one, just get a disc (which is the preferable option anyway, given how it’s cheaper). And really... was anyone going to bother with the Wii U version after May 5th? I know not everyone has a Switch, but the games been out forever by this point. In this day in age of gaming, there are plenty of shadier things to be worried about.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Gamer83

@YummyHappyPills
The answer to both questions is because people just want stupid sh*t to complain about when it comes to Nintendo (Sony is the only company that gets a free pass from the majority of gamers). Lets not forget, earlier this year there were people upset Nintendo finally closed the book on the original Wii's virtual console.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Octane

@YummyHappyPills Why not pull the other games as well? Why even do this in the first place? Leave it on the eShop if it didn't matter.

It just seems odd to me. It is as if Nintendo thinks the game existing on the Wii U eShop for $20 will affect the Switch release.

Look, it won't affect me, and I highly doubt a lot of people would've bought Tropical Freeze on the Wii U. But it's about the principle. Why even do this in the first place? If this was EA, they would've been ripped apart for sure. You can't tell me this doesn't smell a bit fishy, regardless whether this affects you or not.

Anyway, it's good to know though. Digital isn't the future, if stuff like this happens on a regular basis, be glad you have a physical collection, because in ten years from now, half your collection won't even be available anymore. And if your system gets bricked, you're left with nothing. The Wii store is effectively closed, I expect the PS3 and Xbox 360 will soon follow, followed by the Wii U. P.T. was just the tip of the iceberg

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Gamer83 I don’t know. Could you imagine the outrage if Sony pulled The Last of Us from the PS3 store, so people would buy The Last of Us Remastered on PS4.
The outrage would be incredible.

I’ve made my annoyance about Nintendo pricing before, but this only reaffirms my desire to buy Tropical Freeze preowned.

Celeste digital is £2 more expensive than the PS4 version for no reason whatsoever. Owlboy which had a launch PS+ discount was ~£7 cheaper on PS4 then Switch.

Unless consumers vote with their wallet Nintendo will never change their ways.

Anyways looking forward to Tropical Freeze.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Haruki_NLI

@Fight_Teza_Fight I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't determine how much third party games cost - that is entirely down to the developer. There are instances of it working in reverse. Rocket League is cheaper on Switch than PS4 for instance.

@Octane Who knows why they did it, this is only in the US so it could just be NoA being NoA and non-sensical. Again. They are the oddball group really aren't they? XD

Thing is, the difference here between this port and all the other Wii U ports is the name. The others are the big franchises, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Hyrule Warriors...this is one of their mid tier series. All the others got new names like "Definitive Edition" "DX" "Deluxe" "Nintendo Switch Edition".

But this is just the same name, word for word again.

Of course regarding price with the way people talk about DKCTF they certainly make it SOUND worth $60.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic