Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 7,479

PS_Nation

@Kidfried I would include Infamous: Second Son, i really love this game. Even Rockstar North praised Sucker Punch.

@johncalmc I bought one because of Super Mario Odyssey, now i'm waiting for the next games.

PS_Nation

Kidfried

@johncalmc I loved 3D World so much as well. Had a lot of fun playing it coop with my brother. If I had to name one game that was seriously underrated.

Many people expected a new Mario 64 and were disappointed. But if you approach it like it's a sequel to Super Mario World it all makes more sense. A very versatile and fun platformer. And there just aren't enough games released nowadays that are all about that kind of fun.

Would love to see it on Switch.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

johncalmc

@PS_Nation I actually bought one because of Super Mario Odyssey, too. I was super disappointed with it, though. It's probably the most overrated game of the generation, for me. And I say that knowing that Metal Gear Solid V and Arkham Knight exist. Fortunately, I also got Zelda with it and I loved it, which I wasn't expecting because a) I'm so over open world games, and b) I've always been more a Mario guy than a Zelda guy. But it was a nice surprise.

@Kidfried 3D World is fantastic. It's got so much variety packed into it that it's incredible. There's so many amazing ideas, some of which are only used in one level. It's really special. And it's multiplayer which is ace, too.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@PS_Nation I dunno why but that game just really wasn't for me. Even though I liked previous games in the series. Maybe I should try that one again sometime, because I didn't give it that much of a chance either.

Kidfried

Fight_Teza_Fight

I don't have a problem with the Wii U ports.
I never owned a Wii U, so it's a good chance to finally play the games I missed out on (Bayonetta 2).
My problem is pricing.
I'd be more inclined to try these games out if they came out a budget price. That's what Sony does with its Remakes/Remasters.
I've heard nothing, but good things about DK Tropical Freeze- would like to play it, but for £50 for a 4 year old game with no notable additional features that's a hard-pass.

I got OkamiHD, PS4 at launch for £13 (Amazon Prime). Anyone want to take a guess at what the Switch version will launch at?

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@Fight_Teza_Fight I was going to say that Tropical Freeze already got a budget Nintendo Selects release (€20) on Wii U. But seeing you don't own a Wii U, there's no use in that.

Ōkami is probably going to be €30+ on Switch.

Octane

Kidfried

@YummyHappyPills That sounds great, but...

They really should make a true deluxe edition by adding in 3D Land levels as well. Rayman Legends had a world with Origins levels. Loved that.

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

Only just caught up on the Direct announcements. Still too poorly to stay up late watching things and stuff with my eyes.

I have zero problems with ports but to be honest, as someone lucky enough to have several platforms, the pricing is the issue for me. South Park looks cool and would quite like that on Switch but if that launches at £50 and keeps its price, it is hard to justify it when the price dropped so quick on other platforms.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

PS_Nation

@johncalmc Interesting, I really liked Super Mario Odyssey, but i'm also crazy for 3D platformers. Breath of the Wild is great, but it's not my favorite game of the series, the combat and the repetitive side-quests were the main reasons of that. I would say that Super Mario Odyssey is one of my favorite games of this generation and Breath of the Wild was great, but still a disappointment overall.

@Kidfried Infamous 2 is my favorite of the series.

PS_Nation

johncalmc

@PS_Nation I had similar issues with Zelda, like the notable quality dips in dungeons, and the awful weapon degradation system, but I had enough fun with the rest of it that it outweighed the problems. Mario I just thought was far too easy, and for most of it, totally uninspired. The New Donk City level is amazing and the finale of that section is one of the best things I played all year, but in so many other areas it just seemed like busy work to me.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Gamer83

@PS_Nation
Full price but some of those ports have new content or in the case of Bayonetta, is a collection. I don't have to defend the practice of Nintendo bringing ports to its console because this is something every company does. The difference is, whether you or anybody want to acknowledge it or not, Nintendo has brought more high quality new games and sequels along with those ports than Sony did to PS4 in year one.

Gamer83

themcnoisy

@johncalmc Agreed on Super Mario Odyssey. Busywork is the right description.

Yeah Im unsure where I stand on full priced rereleases. If they are £10-£30 cheaper on ps4 why would any numbskull pay for the switch version?

I havent played Tropical freeze, I know @octane really rates it but is it worth £50 this time around?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Gamer83 I prefered Resogun and Infamous SS if Im honest. Im not being sarcastic either although I do have a soft spot for shooters and loved fetch in second son, she is one of my favourite characters in games. Switch was great but PS4 had a really underrated set of games out of the blocks too.

ARMS is my favourite switch game but it appears hardly anyone likes that. But I would play Resogun or Infamous SS over that too.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gamer83

@themcnoisy
I liked inFamous: Second Son a lot as well but that was the only high profile PS4 exclusive worth anything that first. Wasn't too fond of Killzone (and I'm a big fan of the franchise), DriveClub was a disaster, Until Dawn was good but not my type of game, LBP 3 was decent but I wouldn't put it on par with what Nintendo released.

Obviously everybody has their own likes/dislikes. I'm not going to argue with people over that. What we should all have the ability to do though is appreciate a good game even if it's not one you personally enjoy. We should also be able to acknowledge when a company does something right and Nintendo has done a lot right in the Switch's first year. That includes delivering a high quality, varied lineup of games from ports, to sequels and new IP.

Gamer83

Octane

@themcnoisy If you haven't player the original, it's a must have IMO. Exceptional platformer, probably my favourite of all time. It's difficult, but not in a cheap way, tight controls, brilliant music and great level design (it puts the likes of New Super Mario Bros to shame!). Whether it's worth 50 quid is up to you. It would've paid €60 in hindsight, but it was €45-50 on Wii U, so I can't complain.

And I've heard ARMS is getting a limited time demo again (finally!), I'll be sure to check that one out.

Octane

johncalmc

@themcnoisy Honestly, I think that as a general rule remasters should be cheaper than standard games but I also don't think it matters that much, and Nintendo has never been shy about charging through the nose for stuff so it's to be expected, really. As with remasters on other consoles, some will be better value than others - Bayonetta, for example, is two games so it's easier to swallow the cost of it, but Tropical Freeze might seem a little tougher. It's no different to, say, Final Fantasy X/X-2 being better value than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

johncalmc

Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD They recently said that this wasn't the case for Mario (who knows), and Monolith Soft were mandated to make a Xeno game quickly to release in the first year, apparently. So I dont think these games were ever destined for the Wii U.

https://www.destructoid.com/there-was-never-a-chance-of-super...

"It was always planned for Nintendo Switch. We really were considering a lot of the hardware capabilities specifically for this game, and wanted to make the most use of them."

Just in case it wasn't clear, he goes on to note, "I think the idea of what the Nintendo Switch is became very important around here, because it can both function as a console or portable device. We really thought about what sort of software features would make the best use of those capabilities. Super Mario Odyssey really answers to a lot of that capability in the way we had hoped. We wanted to time it for year-end release to make the most of that as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_2#Development

"Initial work on the game was difficult because the technical specifications of the Nintendo Switch were not yet finalized or known yet,[6] but once it was finalized, the game featured a shorter development period compared to the prior titles, with executive director Tetsuya Takahashi citing being able to use the technological foundation established in Chronicles X as a means of speeding up development time.[7][8] Another motivating factor was the agreement made by the team with Nintendo specifically to deliver the game early on in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle.[7]"

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

johncalmc

@kyleforrester87 "I think the idea of what the Nintendo Switch is became very important around here, because it can both function as a console or portable device. We really thought about what sort of software features would make the best use of those capabilities. Super Mario Odyssey really answers to a lot of that capability in the way we had hoped. We wanted to time it for year-end release to make the most of that as well."

How? I get they're trying to sell the concept, but there's literally nothing in Odyssey that makes good use of the Switch as a platform. It could be on any other console and work just as well. In fact, it'd probably be better.

johncalmc

Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@johncalmc Well that's what they are saying so you either take it at face value or you don't, I guess. Not being a game designer myself it's tough to say. And with it not being anything related to like..nuclear bombs or something I'll take them at their word I think haha.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic