Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 7,479

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Haha you win some you lose some in this crazy world of video games my man. And hey, you got BOTW to play at least, you could argue it's worth the price of the system alone

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@KratosMD I think they could tell in year two that they weren't going to turn it around. Maybe they planned to release the Switch late 2017 (that gives the Wii U a five year lifespan), and perhaps late 2018 if it did exceptionally well. But once they saw the Wii U was what it was, they doubled down on the Switch and released it a bit sooner.

I'm not sure what happened in the last year or so of the Wii U if they never intended to release those games on the U. I could see a game like the Wii U Mario Tennis being rushed out just to release something, and now we're getting the refined product. I'm so glad I didn't buy that bare bones game on the Wii U.

Octane

johncalmc

@kyleforrester87 @KratosMD Honestly, I'm firmly on the abandon ship side here. I remember years ago I was on a Nintendo podcast and we were talking about Zelda - at this point, we didn't know it was coming to NX - and not only did I suggest it should come to NX, but I honestly thought they should cancel it for Wii U, too. The Nintendo guys on there were flabbergasted that I would ever suggest Nintendo could treat their loyal fans that way - you know, the company behind Amiibo - but to me it made sense. They needed to abandon Wii U as fast as humanly possible. It was deader than disco. It was over. They needed out.

I understand that hurts as a consumer. I had a Wii U. I know that it can feel like you bought a console that you wouldn't have bought if you'd known how little support it would get, but then that's always a risk. Dragging it out wouldn't have helped anyone. Nintendo needed to move on, and they have, leaving the Wii U as an unfortunate footnote in their history that we'll hopefully forget about.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Octane

@johncalmc The dual release was the best solution I think. It was developed for Wii U anyway, and they would've lost a lot of good will from their most loyal fans.

Octane

johncalmc

@Octane Yeah, the dual release worked fine. At the time, as I recall it, the logic was that the Wii U version might hold back the Switch version (again, we didn't know what Switch was) and I was arguing that making Zelda the best it could be to help launch the NX was more important than appeasing the people who bought a Wii U and would probably buy an NX no matter what anyway. As it turned out, given the relative lack of power in Switch, it doesn't really matter.

@KratosMD You're probably best off just getting rid of the Wii U if you can find anyone silly enough to buy it from you, and then move on to Switch. It's got pretty much the Wii U library on it already, and it's actually got some other good games. The sooner we all forget about the Wii U the better.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

I don't regret my Wii U purchase, if only because it gives me access to the entire Wii library as well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

I'm still waiting for an achievement/trophy system from Nintendo before i fully commit to playing more games on the Switch. I loved playing Zelda, but other games feel like there is something missing from them. And I'm in no means a trophy hunter. Plus most of the first party stuff does not intrest me and the third party games that i am are available cheaper on the ps4 and run better.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder Might as well sell your Switch, then, because I don't see Nintendo introducing achievements so late into the system's life. They're just not interested in introducing achievements on a system-wide level.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@YummyHappyPills For Breath of the Wild! And Metroid Prime 4... And that is it probably. Don't get me wrong I will still play it as it useful for when I'm over my parents. My dad has a PS4 but they have very slow internet and it is a ball ache to download any recent games. Like I went to download Shadow of the Colossus and the expected download time was about 60 hours!! At least with the Switch I got some games on the console and I'm not hogging the TV. I would just thought there would be more to keep me coming back and didn't think not having an achievement system would be such an issue for me.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah I know it's a killer. And he pays more than me for my 40mbps fibre optic! I've ordered him to upgrade and he his when his contract ends in the summer lol

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Its only been a year? Sony didn't always have a trophy system and was introduced a bit later in the PS3's life.

themcnoisy

@KratosMD Man if you feel bad about the wii u - I got a Sega 32x one year. Feel sorry for me bro thats real pain.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder trophies are poison, in my opinion. I'm not sure how I've completely come to that conclusion BUT I have to say I've been a more content gamer these recent months once I've taken my eye off my trophy count. And I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Disclaimer: I've had a couple of drinks.

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87 wrote:

. Disclaimer: I've had a couple of drinks.

Me too! 🙃

Kidfried

I never post sober in Nintendo topics. Does anyone around here do?

And trophies aren't poison, alcohol is! My favourite poison.

To be honest someone recommended me turning off notifications for trophies on PS4 recently. It felt liberating. I might just suffer from trophy overload.

If I was Nintendo I'd release a trophy light system. That only pops when you have fully beaten a game. That way you can still measure and compare your online trunk, but leave out the hassle.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried games have become quite obsessed with getting XP and leveling up and grinding for loot that you horde, and trophies are an extension of that. I do love those things too I guess, but to be honest playing something like BOTW that strips away all that is pretty liberating. Although it takes some getting used to.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

What is this sober thingy I'm hearing about?!

RR529

I for one was pretty happy with the Direct! As someone who on average buys one game a month, things look pretty good for me at the moment.

This month'll be Kirby, next month South Park (may get that Atelier game inbetween depending on how long Kirby lasts), and May Hyrule Warriors.

Suprisingly, Summer is when things get really packed. Captain Toad, Okami HD, SNK Heroines, YS VIII, Octopath Traveler, Code of Princess. That's when I'm going to have to start making tough decisions.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kidfried

@RR529 Yes, if you didn't play a lot of these games before (like for instance you never owned a Wii U) then the next few months are quote good on Switch.

They're a lot less interesting to me. However, what they showed of Mario Tennis Aces really had me impressed. Game looks a lot of fun, and at least tries do everything right what they did wrong the last time around.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic