Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 7,479

Octane

@KratosMD I dunno. It was clearly a CGI trailer. Maybe Link gets a new skin.

I don't think Sakurai has a say on what happens with the franchise, he doesn't even work for Nintendo anymore. If Nintendo wants a port, they make a port.

Octane

kyleforrester87

Does it matter much if it's an update or a new version? Not really familiar with Smash but to be honest they all look the same to me. What's the problem with it being the Wii U version with a bunch of new characters and stages?

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@kyleforrester87 Each game plays differently. If it's a port, it'll be 95% the same content I own on the Wii U. Which is fine, but that means a true Smash 5 won't happen until their next console. I guess I'll keep playing Smash Wii U in that case. I'm paying €60 for a game, I prefer it to be a new game instead of something I already own.

Octane

kyleforrester87

Fair enough, it's not a franchise that does anything for me so I can't comment too much.

Looks like they are sticking with the name Octopath Traveler though good!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@KratosMD This is Nintendo, they'll find a way to charge you double for this

Octane

Octane

@Hapuc New character means new game in Nintendo's words. So the copyright date doesn't mean anything. Splatoon 2 even says 2018, no mention of 2017, the year it came out.

Octane

Hapuc

@Octane For real though I think any game that comes out that year is copyrighted to THAT year even if they announce a new character or something they can say new game.

Hapuc

Fight_Teza_Fight

Probably missed something, but seems like a pretty good direct. Here's the rundown:

-Super Smash Bros. is coming to Switch in 2018
-Dark Souls Amiibo
-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U port), July 13th
-South Park The Fractured But Whole, April 24th
-Splatoon 2 Expansion
-Mario Tennis Aces, June 22nd
-Okami HD is coming sometime this year
-Sushi Striker; The Way of Sushido, June 8th
-Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, July 10th
-Little Nightmares Complete, May 18th
-Undertale on Switch eventually
-Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, May 18th
-Octopath Traveler, July 13th (!!!!!!!!!)

Just Octopath Traveler for me. I always thought Smash was this year, so that doesn't come as a surprise.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Gamer83

@PS_Nation
New Mario platformer, new 3D Zelda game, sequels for Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles, a brand new IP in ARMS, all in the first year. This year sees a new Kirby one week from now, Mario Tennis Aces and Project Octopath Traveller. Would new IPs be welcome? Sure, always down for that, but Nintendo also has star power in many of its existing IPs that Sony and MS frankly do not. As for the port argument, there's a lot of them, just like the PS4's entire putrid first year was full of them, only difference it didn't have anywhere near the number of high quality new entries in exclusive franchises to offset the ridiculous number of PS3 ports from a platform that had over an 80 million userbase. And that's the most hilarious part, none of y'all had a problem with PS3 ports but ports from Wii U, the biggest home console failure in Nintendo's history with maybe 15 million sold is an issue? I'm PlayStation above all else but the hypocrisy around here is strong sometimes. Really strong.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

johncalmc

@Gamer83 People constantly moaned about the PS4 being a port machine in the first year. I didn't though, just like I'm not moaning about Switch being a port machine. More games is never bad. I never understood the backlash.

The biggest problem with Switch for me at the minute is finding any reason to turn it on. It's not that it has no games - it actually has a lot, especially for a Nintendo console - but that I've already played so many of them (ports) and any of them that are released on PS4 as well as Switch I'll play on PS4 instead. So the only time I'll break mine out is for the exclusives. Switch being a port machine is no good for me right now, but in general, I think they should port as much stuff as they can to it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Shellcore

The direct was a snorefest. The best bit was that scientist making an 8 with his body. At least that was original.

PSN: Aleks-UK

Kidfried

@johncalmc I think to many the Switch fulfills also (though not exclusively) the role of 'indie machine' like the Vita did. Many people like to take beloved and games they missed out on on the road.

It's not for me either, same reasons as you, but clearly Nintendo is doing right to many in that regard.

In general the Switch is not my type of console, not being a handheld type of person, but these Directs do make me more excited for it. I'd love to play No More Heroes 3 and Mario Tennis..

On the other hand... I'm not as eager for these games as PS4's games this year. It's a matter of preference I guess, not one being 'better' than the other.

Kidfried

PS_Nation

@Gamer83 "PS4 has no games", "Indiestation 4". Yeah, let's pretend that never existed. At least, Sony always had third-party support, the major games were coming on PS4, can't forget that Sony released new ips during the two first years. Then the amazing exclusives came, surprise! And by the way, I have a Wii U and now a Switch with only one game and that's Super Mario Odyssey, I played Zelda on Wii U.
It's interesting how you're trying to compare the ports released on PS4 with the ones released on Switch, you're ignoring the fact that Nintendo is releasing these games on FULL-PRICE. Anyway, keep defending this practice, whatever...
Sigh, Nintendo recently basically showed only one game on E3 and that was Breath of the Wild, imagine all the backslash if Sony did the same thing by showing only one game even if it's a big one, lol, Nintendo always gets the free pass.
Sony is delievering new ips regularly, it has way more series than Nintendo, but if you still think that Nintendo is way ahead with their ips, go ahead. I'm also not mentioning the third-party support, because, you know...
But hey, what do i know, right?

Edited on by PS_Nation

PS_Nation

Kidfried

I think it's silly that people clamour Zelda BOTW as a new game on Switch, though. To me that's a Wii U game that got ported, just like TLOU on PS4.

Had Sony delayed that game like Nintendo did than people would've sung praise of Sony's first year.

Having missed out on TLOU on PS3 myself I wasn't as disappointed in PS4s first party output in its first year as some.

I thought year one in general was fine on PS4 with games like Child of Light, Stick of Truth, Far Cry 4, Rayman Legends. It was nowhere near as stellar as 2017, but that might just not be a fair comparison. In the same way Switch just had a great first year, but the best might be yet to come.

Kidfried

johncalmc

@Kidfried Same here. The Switch is totally not my type of console. I've got one so I can play Nintendo games because I love Nintendo games. But I didn't like the switcheroo gimmick when it was announced and I still don't. I'm never going to play it in handheld because I don't really care for handhelds generally, and I'm never going to play indie games on it that I can play on PS4 because the PS4 is just a better home console. Plus, trophies. I have a Vita too, and I know people love(d) that thing, but whenever it was a choice between playing a game on PS4 or Vita I'd always play it on my TV.

So for as much as it's got a really good library of games so far for a Nintendo console, most of them are kinda irrelevant to me since I've either played them ages ago, been able to play them for ages and wasn't bothered, or can play them on another console. Hence, I haven't even turned mine on since November. I'll get back on it to play Xenoblade 2 once I've finished playing the games I got at Christmas, and then maybe check out some of the other things I can't play elsewhere but that's about it. It's a Nintendo machine for me, and that's fine. Zelda already made it worth it.

If they're porting everything from Wii U, I really hope they port Super Mario 3D World because that game was awesome and really didn't deserve to be manacled to that console. I think it's way better than Odyssey and would totally play it again.

johncalmc

Twitter:

PS_Nation

@Fight_Teza_Fight Octopath: Traveler looks great, i will definitely buy it. I hope Super Smash Bros. is a new version and not just another full-priced port.

PS_Nation

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic