Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 8,935

Gremio108

@Ralizah @kyleforrester87 Yeah I had to look up the release date too. Thought maybe I missed it at the cinema and it might be streaming already. Why is that US-to-UK delay still a thing??

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction both did over a billion 😲

While DOTM is easily the best of the regular series, and AOE refreshed the cast, added (near unrecognisable) fan-favourites the Dinobots and briefly feature Optimus as a proper (G1) Peterbilt truck - neither are great films.
Bumblebee fared much better critically but only bought back 3 times its budget.

I think Pattinson will do a fine job as Batman.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Yeah. I've never seen a Twilight movie, so perhaps I shouldn't judge too harshly, but the vitriolic ridicule used to carpet-bomb any mention of "sparkly vampires" has become almost omnipresent in popular culture. I'm certain many talented people were involved in the making of that series, and if one of them is now working hard to demonstrate his genuine range and ability, more power to him, I say.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON ...but that's kinda my point. Irrespective of the billion-dollar box office returns from previous films, since when is "only three times its budget" considered a disappointment? I'd call a threefold return on any investment pretty darn great.

The expectation for eight-figure totals nowadays is killing Hollywood.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Twilight is terrible!

I don't think a bad role necessarily reflects on someone's acting ability. If the script and direction is poor then there's not really much an actor can do. I have to admit that when it was announced I couldn't really picture Pattinson as Batman, but the same was true of my initial reaction to Daniel Craig as Bond, so I'll keep an open mind. He's been pretty good in the few other things I've seen him in. Now quite interested in seeing The Lighthouse .

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108 wrote:

@Ralizah @DonJorginho I thought Pattison was very good in The Rover. I didn't realise he was in The Lighthouse, may have to bump it up the watchlist with all the shout-outs it's getting on here

@Gremio108 Preach. That scene when is on his own in the car, singing along to a song (or was he muttering to himself, I can't quite remember?), full of facial ticks. I thought that was a great bit of acting. Think he his a good choice for Batman, only physically I have my concerns.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@mookysam The first Twilight is watchable going back to it since it’s kinda tongue in cheek and shot beautifully. The rest are atrocious.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder I'm a massive Guy Pearce fan, so I was always going to watch it. But that was the film which converted me to the R-Patz cause. Vulnerable yet untrustworthy at the same time, excellent performance. I have defended him in movie conversations ever since.

EDIT I've never actually used the term 'R-Patz' in conversation though. We're not there yet

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Jaz007

@Ralizah @RogerRoger Yeah, it feels a little weird, but I think my issue is more I'm tired of them constantly changing the DC movie universe. We need Joker, but otherwise a plan that doesn’t copy marvel should’ve been kept instead of the disaster it turned into and Justice League trying to be Avengers. Though while the sparkles were stupid, Twilight was a decent asked of movies, not great, but decent. He could Eva good Batman in his own right.

Jaz007

WanderingBullet

Watched 1917 and whilst the cinematography was impressive I certainly don't think that it deserves to win best movie. The one continuous shot filming does feel a bit a gimmicky after a while as I watching it and the story definitely wasn't as good as Saving Private Ryan or even Dunkirk for that matter.

Also, there are reports that the Batmobile in Matt Reeves's movie will be more like a muscle car.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet

I think Reeves is going for a Year 1 vibe, so the rumours and one screenshot of a concept will probably have it as a stylised standard car (in the way that the 60's Batmobile was a stylised Ford concept car). I'm thinking probably slightly techy - but not particularly armoured.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Me too! You don't see Guy Pearce in enough these days. Thought he was phenomenonal in Memento. Yeah let's not all start talking like a bunch of teenage girls. Unless someone is a teenage girl, then carry on!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

DonJorginho

@Gremio108 You will love it man, I ordered the US Bluray I loved it so much, you can find it on a host of torrent sites and stuff.

DonJorginho

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON I like the Bugatti La Voiture Noire's design. Would be cool if the Batmobile looked something similar to it. If not, they could have Bruce Wayne drive the car in the movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Not sure which way they're going to go with Bruce. I think they have to be careful not to come across too similarly to the Nolan films

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Yeah, I'm looking forward to just having a bunch of random, decent films from WB and DC, rather than trying to tie everything together. Although I'd loved to have seen what Zack Snyder had planned (with one consistent vision) I think the current plan of "no plan at all" suits me fine.

Just watched The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and found it okay, and quite often more than okay, but it didn't capture the same magic as the first flick (which I think I've seen a few other folks say). I'm not somebody who puts great stock in celebrity, but the fact that a lot of the bigger names, like Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman, opted not to return speaks volumes. I liked the plot, but it felt a little unnecessary and I'm pretty sure that's because there was no real need for a sequel to begin with.

It was bright, upbeat, amusing and ticked all the appropriate boxes for its branding, so kudos for that level of success, I suppose. And I wasn't bored at any point, so hurrah. But it didn't make me wanna go out and buy all of its tie-in LEGO sets and I get the impression that it's therefore failed in its primary objective.

Although it did make me want a Die Hard set someday. Best gag in the whole thing.

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Lethal Weapon 5's is currently in development with the original cast possibly coming back. Can't wait to hear more, "We're too old for this $h!t!" jokes.lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet For goodness sake, it really does my head the current vogue of rehashing stuff like this. Is there really much demand for this? And haven't the last few similar titles (bad boys, Charlie's angels) bombed? Not sure how well the TV show did, but I would be slightly more interested in a new cast, with my a couple of the oldies appearing as a cameo.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet @JohnnyShoulder Donner has been on about doing it for a while. Don't really see the point myself.

I tried the TV show, well - I watched 20 minutes of an episode - it wasn't very good.

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder Don't know about Charlie's Angels but Bad Boys For Life's actually doing pretty well at the box office and because of that they're already planning to make a fourth Bad Boys movie. Probably not so soon I would think since I read that the same directors are working on Beverly Hills Cop 4 unless the studio plans on hiring a different director.

@KALofKRYPTON The first two season were okay I thought but nothing worth shouting about. I stopped watching Season 3 after they fired the lead actor.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic