Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 8,893

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Thanks, but I must be a subconscious genius, as I hadn't noticed I'd done that!

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, without reading any backstory, one glance at her more current filmography made me think something like that might've happened. It reads like a classic "used by the machine" story. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Here's hoping that Fathom project can make a comeback.

I should read "G1 Cybertron" as "reason baddie had a tape deck in his chest", shouldn't I...?

@RR529 Great haul. Don't worry, you got it right anyway, The Living Daylights is indeed the next Bond film in sequence for you, followed by Licence to Kill. The former makes a bit more of a fuss over introducing its new star, Timothy Dalton, and feels more balanced in tone and style, whereas the latter is definitely a unique beast. Hope you enjoy both, regardless!

Did my own Blu-Ray shopping this morning in town. Along with Into the Spider-Verse, I got its original score on a good ol' CD album, then nabbed the following stack of stuff.

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series
Batman and Harley Quinn
Demolition Man
Edge of Tomorrow
Spider-Man: Five Movie Collection (all the Sony Pictures ones)
X-Men: Dark Phoenix

They still don't have Dredd, which I keep looking for. I'm wanting to support my high street on principle, but they do make it tough on themselves at times! Will check Amazon later.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yeah
And just the brilliant, recognisably G1 influenced designs all round really.

Soundwave is probably the best G1 Decepticon.

Paramount seem to be in some sort of quagmire of how to 'sort out' Transformers following the critical mauling of Last Knight and disappointing financial performance of Bumblebee. It's perfectly obvious - make a live action Transformers: The Movie - they can even just run a 'soft reboot' to the design work to G1 everyone up and follow in from the Last Knight!

That would make all the money in the world!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

That would make all the money in the world!

...just from you going to see it a hundred times, yeah?

It's a shame Bumblebee tanked at the box office, I didn't know that. It was certainly a step in the right direction, although I say that as somebody who jettisoned after one film.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
Ha! Seriously though, for all of the iterations of Transformers, in various media and especially the toys (and the rabid fan base for the toys) - everything revolves back around to G1 in some way, at some point and does better than before.

Bumblebee 'only' made £465m - which is half of what Revenge of the Fallen made and even less than The Last Knight - which is just as awful. So yeah, bit of a failure for the franchise despite the promising marketing campaign.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON I was thinking something similar when watching the stuff on Cybertron from Bumblebee. I would absolutely make a trip to the cinema to watch that!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Genrou

@KALofKRYPTON Wow I didn't realize that Bumblebee did that bad at the box office. I guess by the time that came out people were just done with live action Transformer movies.

Genrou

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder it would make so. Much. Money! 😂😂

@Genrou I think people were skeptical.
Making a separate Bumblebee film was entirely cynical; the begrudging G1 fans were showing signs of checking out of the film franchise after The Last Knight and since Bumblee had become the go-to kids Transformer, that was where the money should've been. All of the best trailers in the world and even the best film in the franchise so far can't always overcome the general feeling of being taken for a mug.

Gremio108

@RogerRoger It is a shame it underperformed at the box office. I guess the hive mind didn't like it

(I'm so sorry, I can't let this go)

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 @RogerRoger I’m surprised there wasn’t more cross-pollination between the fans of the other Transformers movies.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@DonJorginho Definitely one of the standout films of the year. Amazing cinematography, and DaFoe's manic performance is just wonderful.

Pattinson was great, too. Hopefully people stop mentally connecting him with Twilight at some point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Ouch, that stings!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Ralizah @DonJorginho I thought Pattison was very good in The Rover. I didn't realise he was in The Lighthouse, may have to bump it up the watchlist with all the shout-outs it's getting on here

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Gremio108 Go for it! The Lighthouse is a fantastic movie and both leads are brilliant in it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@Gremio108 The Lighthouse is a fever dream, and I mean that in the best sense possible. The B&W cinematography is moody and frequently gorgeous. Watching it alone makes you feel like you're going mad along with the characters, but it's also fun to sit and laugh about and pick apart with friends.

kyleforrester87

The Lighthouse does look very good, I’m gunna get to the cinema to see that in the next few weeks.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 It's still playing in theaters where you live?

EDIT: nvm, didn't realize the UK release was so belated. My bad.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 @Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder Given that my first bee pun was by accident, I kinda wanna make a proper one, but I reckon I'd just be droning on. So I won't.

@KALofKRYPTON Blimey, "only" £465m...? I remember when audiences gave Pierce Brosnan a standing ovation on Parkinson when he said that Die Another Day had made £400m at the box office. The measure of success nowadays has become impossible to reach. I can't fathom such a mindset of greed; there isn't enough cowhide in the world for a wallet that big.

Not wanting to drag everything back to a mass market level, but the critical reception towards The Lighthouse and its actors has me rethinking my initial "Wow, really?" reaction to Robert Pattinson's casting as the next Batman. Even as somebody who fully supported Batfleck from the beginning, and who tries never to jump on a pre-judgement bandwagon, the strength of that Twilight stigma is undeniable. As it stands now, despite wishing Batfleck could've worn the cowl for longer, I'm really looking forward to seeing this fresh take on the Caped Crusader (although he'll probably be more Dark Knight, in all likelihood).

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger lol When people heard the news, I imagine most of them (me included) just pictured Edward Cullen in a batsuit.

But the truth is he's an actor with incredible range, and, judging from The Lighthouse, he's one of those "chameleon" actors who can be virtually unrecognizable in distinct enough roles.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic