Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 3,339

Ralizah

I was pretty satisfied with Detective Pikachu. It wasn't the best movie ever made, but it absolutely sets a new standard for video game-based cinema, features a STUNNING mix of real humans with often convincing CG pokemon, and integrates more "adult" subject matter in a way that doesn't feel overly dark or jarring. The very beginning of the film seems like a pretty deliberate call-back to the beginning of Pokemon: The First Movie. There are lots of easter eggs and whatnot in this as well. Very much a movie designed to please Pokefans.

I guessed the plot twist about Pikachu actually being his dad, but I'm a little surprised the whole thrust of the movie turned out to be so similar to the horror film Get Out.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

WanderingBullet

Never followed the Pokemon anime or played any of the games. I'm also not a fan of Justice Smith. That being said, I still want to watch it but I'll wait to till it's on Netflix or something.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Same here with Pokeman. Even if I was still going to the cinema I'd give it a pass and wait till it hits home viewing.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

redd214

Finally took the kids to see Detective Pikachu and was overall impressed. I've never played Pokémon before so some of it went over my head but I thought it was above average. Was rather touching at moments too which I really wasn't expecting.

They played the Sonic trailer before the movie and I dunno, I wasn't as repulsed seeing it on the big screen as I was when I watching on my phone. Dunno why. Will most likely end up watching it eventually, def not in theaters but it'll be a $1 rental sometime I'm sure.

redd214

WanderingBullet

Just watched John Wick 3: When Dogs Bite Back.

For me, action wise I think it's the best among the three movies but story wise it's the weakest. Having said that, it's still good and worth watching.

Th3solution

I’ve been on bit of a Batman and DC spree lately. I started Injustice 2 and I finished watching the Nolan trilogy last week as a kind of comfort food for the soul. I’ve always really liked those movies. They certainly stand the test of time (mostly) although they are far from perfect. One of the aspects of the films I like is the actors — I like Bale, Ledger (of course), Neeson, Hardy, Murphy, Hathaway, Caine, Eckhart, Oldman ... Probably the only one I can’t stand is Gyllenhaal. I cringe a little bit when she’s on screen. To be fair, Holmes wasn’t much better as Rachel in the first film. But overall, I have enjoyed the performances.

And, almost like a cruel joke being played on me by the Universe, I hear about Robert Pattinson. Please, no. I just got used to Affleck in the role and actually quite enjoyed his portrayal after I came to grips with how he approached being Batman. An older, more experienced Bruce Wayne, with a subtle and stoic feel. It worked. ....But honestly, I just can’t see in my mind’s eye Pattinson as the Dark Knight. Robin, maybe, Scarecrow or Deadshot, or maybe even the Riddler... but please not Batman. My brain just can’t make that jump. 😫

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I saw the same news about Pattinson. All I keep telling myself is that both Keaton and Batfleck were destroyed by fans and media alike, and ended up being amazing (although I'm also lucky in that I've never watched Twilight, I guess). So I'll reserve judgement until a trailer or, indeed, the film's actual release.

I hear the casting isn't final yet, and it's down to Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult, a.k.a. Beast from the young X-Men films. In a coin-toss between the two, I think I'd actually prefer Pattinson. Hoult most certainly isn't what I think of when I think of a young Caped Crusader.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about the Nolan films having an incredible cast. Perhaps the greatest cast a superhero story has ever received. I may not like Bale's performance (or Ledger's actually, sorry) but everybody gave it their all and were beyond entertaining to watch, regardless of your overall opinion of the story, characters or direction. Caine's Alfred and Oldman's Gordon were highlights for me, as well as Liam Neeson, who's always wonderful.

Proof that the casting folk over at WB and / or DC deserve a little trust, perhaps.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, I might warm up to the idea of Pattinson. I barely know Hoult, but my memories of Beast in X-men do not endear me to the idea of him as Wayne either. And I, thankfully, also have never watched a minute of Twilight. But I know the internet memes and reputation. The fans are out in full force already, so we’ll see if WB succumbs to social media pressure.
The comments are rolling in —
“Will the Batsuit sparkle in the sunlight?”
“Movie’s title released — Batman: The Glitter Knight”
“Hell has officially frozen over...”
“At least George Clooney is about to not be the worst Batman anymore”
Etc, etc ....
😂 I thought he was okay as Cedric Diggory, but the Twilight thing is just hard to overcome.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Why do I know the name Cedric Diggory... wait, he was in Harry Potter?! My word, DC are really trying their best to alienate me from my favourite superhero!

Sorry, I know you're a Potter fan. I'm only kidding!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha, ha! No worries. Yes, Diggory is a side character who plays an integral role in the 4th book/movie. He’s a slightly sappy popular kid in the school — this heartthrob type of ‘student body president’ archetype who everyone adores. (Seeing a pattern here?) I never considered Bruce Wayne to be a heartthrob per se. A billionaire playboy, yes, but a pretty boy who seems to not incite any sort of heroic command of a scene? Eh, we’ll see.
(And don’t worry, I won’t judge you for being a Harry Potter avoider. The fan base can be a little annoying, but the story is quite clever. 😉)

KALofKRYPTON

I'd take Pattinson over Hoult. He has a good chin, he can brood - and not to put too fine a point on it, but Hoult just isn't 'handsome leading man' enough.

I'd still prefer Armie Hammer.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Read the first five books. That's why I recognised the name, and I remember his character and significance now. But I only watched the first three (maybe? I remember the first two and wanna say I saw the third, but couldn't tell you anything about it) films and by that time, I'd fallen away from the franchise. So I might've inadvertently seen him in something, then!

And hey, each to their own! There was just something about the fifth book which failed to grab me. Maybe the fact it was three times as thick as the previous four didn't help. It started to get too complex and drawn-out for me to enjoy (as you know, my threshold for fantasy witches and wizards is quite low). It was also around the time I stopped reading and started writing my own stories. In fact, aside from Jurassic Park, The Da Vinci Code and The Ghost whilst at university, I don't think I've read anything since. Oh, maybe a handful of Tom Clancy books.

Wow, tangent. Sorry!

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

How's Pattison's acting? Never watched any of his films apart from little bit of the first Twilight movie.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Reportedly, he's quite good. He'll forever be defined as "that Twilight guy" but he's taken some more serious roles of late and, if you believe the comment sections of a couple bat-sites reacting to the news, he's improved dramatically in recent years.

But that's all third-party stuff. I couldn't really say anything with authority.

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Good to know cause his acting wasn't really that good in the Twilight. Or maybe that was just how his character was supposed to be... lol

Th3solution

@RogerRoger [following on your tangent 😅] -
The fourth HP movie is where the films start to stray from the books a bit. They films continue to be pretty good, but the books are just too thick to include everything. The fourth book was my absolute favorite, so the film disappointed me somewhat. The fifth book and movie were the worst of the series in my opinion. Besides an obligatory major event for the entire HP arc occurring at the end, I didn’t care for the story of The Order is the Phoenix as much as the others. (But Gary Oldman is a great Sirius Black just as he is wonderful at Commissioner Gordon) Things really get back to a better quality story-wise with the 6th and 7th book. It can be complex with the way Rowling wove a tapestry of characters and events together which link the first books and the last books into one large tale. She really relies on a person knowing and remembering all the little plot and character points to get the full impact. Anyways... since I’ve been in a rewatching mood (Did The Dark Knight recently, in the midst of a rewatch of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and plan to do all the MCU movies in story order later this summer..) maybe I’ll rewatch all the HP and see if they still hold up.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet He was good in The Rover and Good Times I seem to remember, even if those films were a bit average.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Maybe I did see a later film, then. I kinda recall Gary Oldman being a crazy dude with long hair and a tendency to shout at the drop of a sorting hat. Hmm.

Despite your best efforts, you haven't sold me on reading the rest of the series. Nice try, though!

If your eyeballs haven't melted out of their sockets after you've watched all thirty-something Marvel films, it'll be interesting to see if your opinion of the Potter films (and franchise in general) has held up. It always struck me as something I naturally grew out of, despite my earlier reasons in my tangent. I'm no stranger to a fanbase with a bad reputation (Sonic, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.) so I don't dismiss grown-up, well-reasoned support of it all. Let us know what you think!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@WanderingBullet I'm not familiar with Justice Smith's previous work, but I thought he did a bang up job here. Guy has real talent.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic