Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 8,930

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried He certainly has some fine moments, mostly towards the latter part of the film - but th rest of the cast were a lot better. Apart from Mike Myers.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Sometimes the different editions are put up a bit later, so you never know. Not that I'll ever found out, I refuse to watch anymore DC films under the current reign.

I watched Batman Ninja last night. Ummmm, it's a bit bonkers innit?! Certainly not what I was expecting and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it all tbh.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder You've identified precisely why I adore Batman Ninja. It's just mad. When the monkeys start playing the Batman '66 theme tune on the flute in order to summon a giant monkey to fight the Joker's combined fortress mech I totally lost all grip on sanity and just surrendered to it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah the film lost me in the middle part with all the transforming fortresses and the giant monkey changing into a giant old skool batman. I enjoyed what came before and after though.

That is not what I want from a Batman movie, animated or live action and prefer a more traditional story. Fair play for trying something different though.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, despite loving all that nonsense, I agree with you. I'd never objectively state that it's as good as, or better than, my favourite Batman films, but I'd include it in a personal Top Five list purely for the variety. There's certainly never been a bat-film quite like it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

First trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie. It actually looks like it might work...

Also saw Bohemian Rhapsody recently. Wonderful movie, especially if you love Queen's music. Rami Malek is fantastic as Freddie Mercury, and I got proper Citizen Kane vibes from the film as the lonely Mercury stalked around his huge house, flaunting money and throwing parties to hide his inner loneliness and turmoil.

Saw The Grinch as well. It has some issues that go along with any movie that tries to turn a short Dr. Seuss poem into a feature length film, but it's funny, touching, and is a pretty good version of the story. Certainly better than that live-action abomination with Jim Carrey.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

Watched my Hereditary blu-ray for the first time last night. Mind blown 🤯. Just incredible. My new favourite horror movie.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

Ralizah

@jacobia It's my favorite of the A24 horror movies released of late. The twist at the end is very unexpected, but cool in a very old-school sort of way.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@kyleforrester87 Not yet, but I’m very keen to! I subscribe to Shudder, and I had an email from them a few weeks ago stating that it was coming soon to their service......can’t wait!

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

@Ralizah Yep, all the revelations at the end, putting perspective to all the beats of the story 🤯. The daughter’s scene 🤯🤯!! Awesome score and sound design too. And Toni Collette must surely get an Oscar nomination, by god what an actress! So much skill and craft from all involved in this movie.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia @Ralizah I heard Hereditary was a bit meh, but will add it to my Cinema Paridiso list after your recommendations!

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder I hope you enjoy Hereditary. Have you seen The Witch? It’s a slow burn, I really enjoyed it, Hereditary is slow burn but it’s sooo much better imo. It’s difficult when a movie, particularly a horror one, gets so much hype, as you then naturally have a preconceived mindset before seeing it. So because of that, I don’t want to gush at you about it, as that’s my experience. So just for perspective, I’ll just give you an insight into my horror fandom, it being my favourite genre. I like every sort of sub-genre within horror, although I tend to gravitate towards the more supernatural themed ones. I like jump scares, and I like slow burn psychological. I like a movie I can enjoy watching and then forget all about it. I like a movie that gets under my skin and stays in my mind. And I don’t mind well worn tropes, either. So I guess it all must come down to how effective the execution is of all the disparate parts to gel into a cohesive whole, as well as a viewer’s desire and awareness of the movie they’re going to see, to buy into the story being presented.
Hereditary isn’t for everybody (is any movie?), but it’s got under my skin in a great way (I’ve watched so many spoiler breakdown vids on YouTube since watching it), and it’ll absolutely have repeat viewings.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia Yeah saw The Witch, thought it was pretty good but not outstanding. The young actress I expect big things from her.

Cheers for not over hyping Hereditary, I've gone into many a film when people have done that and it has been a disappointment. It is one of the reasons I only watch any reviews until after I've watched a film. I think some of the films I've enjoyed the most is when I've had little or low expectations beforehand.

I don't think I have a favourite sub-genre in horror, but my favourite film of all time is Alien so maybe that says a lot about my preferences!

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder Don’t know if you subscribe to Netflix, but if I may, I’d like to recommend a few horrors....
The Invitation, Hush (only watched 3rd of it: late at night, on holiday and drunk, fell asleep 😴), and if you like found footage, there’s Creep and Creep 2. Hush is from Mike Flanagan, the guy who did Netflix’s The Haunting Of Hill House (loved it).
Any movie recommendations would be gratefully received, and please let me know when you’ve watched Hereditary 👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

kyleforrester87

@jacobia enjoy, I really liked it. It was perhaps not quite what I expected, but other things made up for a few of the shortcomings I thought it had. The soundtrack in particular is awesome from start to finish.

I saw it twice because to be honest I was a bit (very) wasted the first time I watched it. But it's really been stuck in my head these past couple of weeks.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder @jacobia I saw The Witch a few months go and I really enjoyed it actually. A friend told me it sucked but his opinions are always so all over the place (he might have hated it because the pizza he ordered while he was watching it arrived late, for example), so I went in determined to give it a fair crack and yeah, I thought it was good.

Hereditary is next up on my to watch list, and then A Quiet Place. About the only recommendation I have for films I have seen recently other than Mandy is Split.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

jacobia

kyleforrester87 wrote:

@jacobia enjoy, I really liked it. It was perhaps not quite what I expected, but other things made up for a few of the shortcomings I thought it had. The soundtrack in particular is awesome from start to finish.

I saw it twice because to be honest I was a bit (very) wasted the first time I watched it. But it's really been stuck in my head these past couple of weeks.

Are you talking about Hereditary?🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia Cheers for the recommendations, yeah I sub to Netflix. Not totally crazy about found footage stuff, but I'm willing to give anything a go really (unless it is a musical or rom com). It did like Cloverfield, that could be classed as a guilty pleasure though, I know some people thought it was trash. As for recommendations from myself, ones of the top of my head are Annihilation - something to get you thinking and some scenes really freaked me out. And not strictly a horror and more in the vein of Seven is Wind River. I had pretty low expectations but I was really impressed with it and Jeremy Renner gives a career best imo with a very understated performance. Both are on Netflix.

@kyleforrester87 A Quiet Place is a really effective horror. Weird seeing in the Cinema too. Split is awesome, I believe the sequel is out soon in the cinemas. Same actress as The Witch too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic