Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 8,903

jacobia

@kyleforrester87 Oh my lord! What a burk! I honestly thought you were commenting on me saying that I’d watched Hereditary! Hence why I quoted your whole post, because I was thinking “well that’s silly, mr kyleforrester87, you’ve not mentioned what movie your talking about...”. BUT, you were replying to me mentioning that Mandy is coming to Shudder.....nothing to do with Hereditary 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😳🥵😝

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder Loved Cloverfield! Funny story: I knew it was found footage, was super hyped for it, so said to the hubby ‘let’s go see it at the cinema!’. This was the first time we’d watched a found footage film together.....it was also the last! I had no idea that he’d experience severe motion sickness when watching it. He was only in there with me for about 20 minutes tops before he had to quick march it to the toilets to puke 🤮. He went home and I stayed in the cinema.
Watched Annihilation, great movie with a great ending. The oil-on-water look that the shimmer had was a cool looking effect too. I’ve not seen Wind River, so I’ll add it to my list. Thanks 👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

@kyleforrester87 Go on! Enter my mindmaze........swirlwhirlywoo!!!

Just make sure you bring a big ball of string, my dear Theseus 🤪

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

kyleforrester87

@jacobia @JohnnyShoulder only good thing about Annihilation was the music IMO, especially during the final confrontation, which made that scene a lot cooler. I really didn't like the rest of that film at all!

Midnight Special is a good film.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

Watched Carnival of Souls. Bizarre little indie horror movie from the early '60's. Very Bergman-esque cinematography, and it's much dreamier and more psychological than the majority of older horror films, but the pacing is utterly glacial and, to be honest, nothing much of interest happens. The acting is odd... kind of amateurish and stilted.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Bonbonetti

I saw Overlord in the cinema quite recently. It's a horror movie set in WWII, with nazi scientists doing supernatural crazy evil stuff. The trailer pretty much spoils everything, ... is it just me or does that happen with lots of trailers these days? Often when I watch a trailer today, I feel they reveal far too much of the plot, or finalé even.

Anyway, Overlord reminded me of the latest Wolfenstein games for some reason (especially the 2009 one), perhaps it was the mood of the movie that brought this on. It offers nothing ground-breaking in terms of concept, but has a good and strong set of characters I would argue, especially the lead, Jovan Adepo. Not sure I would recommend it for a cinema viewing, which is quite expensive these days, but it's worth a look if it shows up on Netflix and you like horror movies.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

jacobia

@Bonbonetti Yeah, I definitely want to see Overlord, and I think I’m going to enjoy it as I get exactly that it’s going for a great horror-adventure feel. And yep, a lot of trailers do guff up and reveal far too much of a movie, although I was super delighted that the Hereditary trailer just gave you the dread feeling of the movie rather than any specific plot development. Looking forward to seeing the new Suspiria! 👍

Edited on by jacobia

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Jaz007

So I’m watching the new Transformers. I loved Age of Excinctuon, but this one is too complicated and going off the deep end. It’s funny though because it mirrors the original series. When Prime is removed for a long period of time the original series also went off the deep end and got too complicated. I’ll say more once I finish it.

Jaz007

jacobia

@kyleforrester87 😱😱😱.....sooo, did you like it?

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

kyleforrester87

@jacobia honestly I didn't love it in the end, which is a shame, because i really thought I would - especially just before the halfway point where things took an unexpected turn, but then I kind of enjoyed it less and less as it progressed.

What didn't I really like about it.. I'm not completely sure.

Why did the spirit inhabit the girl? Does it NEED to have a body at all times and was it just waiting for a guy to be available? Or can it.. float around until one is available? And why did he burn when the book got thrown on the fire when it was her burning before? He wasn't connected with the book was he? Seemed a bit random. I felt quite sorry for that guy, the only normal guy in the house - goes up into the loft, "Argh!", comes down, "why the fu*k is there a body in the attic?!". I think he would have checked in there sooner, that house would have STUNK. And that's before he was BBQed in the living room.

Overall I didn't dislike it by any stretch, but even going in with my expectations in check I didn't come away feeling completely satisfied.

I have to say the final scene was pretty memorable, nicely shot and nice dialogue and music.

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

So, I watched Overlord. It's fun. Not the most original concept in history, especially if you play a lot of Western video games, but I liked it for what it was.

I wouldn't call it horror, though.

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Sorry for butting in. Anyway, about your first question about Hereditary...

the grandmother is part of a cult that worships the demon Paimon, and she had dedicated her life to incarnating him in physical form. Charlie (the daughter) turned out to be a female host, though, and Paimon prefers a male host body. The grandmother didn't have access to the son (forget his name) at a young enough age to commit a ritual and pledge his body to Paimon, so the cult she's a part of engineers a sacrifice (the "accident" with Charlie) and, when the new host (the son) is psychically fragile enough from the trauma he's experienced, he's ready to be possessed.

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah see I don't get how they managed to engineer that? It was a bunch of random uncontrollable events.

Also I thought the minatures would have had more relevance in the end. And while I'm talking about minatures I.. am not sure why she decided to recreate that particular scene. It didn't seem like a believable part of a grieving process if that's what it was meant to be!

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Seemingly, but the cult appears to have the ability to influence how events play out with some aid from the supernatural. The family is constantly besieged by psychic assaults and delusions of supernatural origin, too.

The miniatures. Well, I take them to be both a reflection of the mother's collapsing mental state over the course of the film as well as symbolic of the family's own lack of control over their lives (which are in thrall to forces beyond their comprehension).

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic