Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 8,933

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Well, the MCU is at a point technologically that it should all fit quite nicely. I expect a more 'tech' and situational take on the sort of visual mastery shown in Doctor Strange.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Jaz007

I’m interested to segue what you all think of Venom. I don’t trust critic reviews for movies.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 My expectations are low and tempered - I'm not expecting MCU, but a smaller, self-contained thing with very few strong ties to the source material. On that basis, I expect it to be relatively enjoyable and something that feels like it came out 15 years ago but with better CGI.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Wow, just... wow.

Never thought I'd be this excited to see an Aquaman... well, an Aquaman anything!

Might even push myself to see it at the cinema.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Yeah, it looks good but I did felt that maybe they may have showed a bit too much in this trailer.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Probably to try and restore some faith in the DC brand. If they know it's a great film, it might be wise to show a good chunk of it (although five minutes out of two hours isn't terrible) seeing as the last DC film shown in cinemas was a financial disaster.

It definitely makes me wanna go see it, and I wasn't really all that bothered before. So it worked on me!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@WanderingBullet @RogerRoger I feel like they probably showed a lot because of when it's premiering. It's jam-packed between Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, Holmes & Watson and now the Deadpool PG-13 movie all premiering in the same week. Not to mention Mortal Engines & the animated Spider-Man movie are premiering the week before. It absolutely needs every advantage it can get!

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Good point; I'm not really aware of other cinematic releases beyond the small handful of franchises I follow, so I hadn't considered those fellow films.

@beemo Yet another "it's not as bad as everybody says" reaction to Solo. I'm really quite looking forward to watching it now, thanks for your thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

I just got back from watching A Star is Born in the cinema a couple of hours ago. Wow. What a fantastic movie. Absolutely lives up to the hype. You should try to avoid any and all spoilers if you're interested. The soundtrack is great as expected, the acting is very good (particularly Bradley Cooper) and the directing is incredibly well done, especially for a directing debut. Some great cinematography in that movie too. Lots of emotional moments as well, very well written screenplay. I really don't have many problems with this movie, outside of it dragging at certain points, but then the movie was easily revitalised a few minutes later. Easily a must watch movie from the 2018 slate.

Tjuz

WanderingBullet

@WanderingBullet The Mule (Clint Eastwood movie) is also showing on the 14th of December. So that's three movies in December that I want to watch.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Ralizah

Just got back from Venom.

It was... OK. Not up to the standards of the better Marvel movies, but not as terrible as critics are suggesting either. The plot is pretty formulaic, the action scenes are rote, the villain is like ones you've seen in a million other movies, and I just wasn't personally convinced by the evolution of the character dynamics in this movie. Plot-wise, it reminds me a lot of The Predator, except this one is better paced and not tonally schizophrenic. Tom Hardy has some great scenes (filled with a wonderfully manic energy) in this movie, though, and his banter with Venom can be fun.

An average movie. Solid C (on an A - F scale). Still better than Infinity War: Hunt for the MacGuffins.

Previews looked pretty good. I'm still optimistic about Glass, the next entry in Shyamalan's deconstructive superhero series. The Spider-Man cartoon releasing soon actually looks really cute, and I'm looking forward to seeing that now. Great animation and very creative premise. And hopefully Battle Angel Alita is that rarest of things: an actually good Hollywood manga adaptation.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tjuz

@beemo The movie gets more and more emotional as it goes on, and if you had severe depression earlier in your life I absolutely recommend being in the right mood for it. There's definitely triggers in this movie if that's still something you struggle with. I don't wanna get too detailed, but there's definitely some depressing stuff in this movie, especially in the third act.

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger

Shifting from not The Movie Thread

He would be good.

He was great in The Night Manager, I was pretty dubious but he sold it really well.

Very effective at cold and brutal.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON I've not seen that film, what's it about?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It was a BBC mini-series based on the John le Carré book. It was excellent - great cast and production values. His character is a former soldier drawn in to an intelligence operation.

Well worth a watch if you can find it.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah i think i might take a look, sounds interesting

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo You should. It's the thing that really started giving weight to the Bond speculation for him.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic