Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 8,866

RogerRoger

Apparently, WB adore Matt Reeves' script for The Batman and filming begins Spring 2019, so that pretty much confirms no more Batfleck, because it calls for a younger Bruce Wayne.

Won't be the same. I'll keep an open mind, but I was hoping for at least one standalone Batfleck film.

The one thing I did like about some of the snippets shown from the New York filming of Joker is that, whilst stepping off a subway train amidst a mass panic and gleefully skipping away, Joaquin Phoenix seemed to be wearing Ceser Romero's costume from Batman '66.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just got back from My Neighbor Totoro, which is being shown in theaters again nationwide across the U.S. as part of 2018's "Ghibli Fest." The family came with, and everybody absolutely loved it. It's a beautiful film that keenly captures the wide-eyed sense of joy that often comes so naturally to young children, and the attention to detail in the animation is absolutely stunning. Anyway, this is one of my all-time favorite films and I'm really glad I got the opportunity to rewatch it in the theater, although hearing Lea Salonga mangle the opening song (we watched the Disney dub) only reminded me why I dislike her performances so much.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

WanderingBullet

Didn't know about this until today but WB has fired both Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. So are they going for a reboot? If so what does that mean for the current heroes like Wonder Woman and Aquaman?

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Watched All the Money in the World last night. Although it is a good film I found it a bit too plodding in places. Michelle Williams and Christopher Plummer were outstanding in it, but I thought Mark Warlberg was a bit miscast in his role and I felt it needed someone who was slicker and a touch cooler.

What I found more interesting was this was the film that Plummer replaced Kevin Spacey with due to the allegations against the latter. That the film was already finished and Plummer only did his shots in about 10 days is a credit the film making that it wasn't a complete mess.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Yeah - WB don't really know either.

The current slate is set to continue - which doesn't actually change anything other than recasting Superman for the inevitable Supergirl cameo; Affleck was extremely likely to be recast for the solo Batman film anyway.

It's a bummer. But WB are awful... so.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet @KALofKRYPTON I’ve actually been surprised at how Marvel/Disney has been able to keep the gang together for so long. The only casualty I see so far is Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and they seem to have just written him out. I would like to see him return, but I have a feeling he won’t. But it’s hard to write out Superman and Batman out of the Justice League 😅. I suppose they can make it work since we’re all so accustomed to so many different Batman actors over the years. But can you imagine anyone other than Downey Jr. playing Iron Man? Or anyone other than Evans as Capt America?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution I have a feeling that next year's Avengers movie would be Robert Downey Jr.'s and Chris Evans's last MCU movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet @Th3solution That's the difference having a long term plan, open-minded execs, invested creators and robust contracting does for you.
Success breeds success after all, and any stumbles are absorbed and learned from. WB couldn't be more different in their handling of the DC slate.

Renner is due to show up again soon I think.

My guess is, with the Fox stable now accessible - we'll just see less and less of Iron Man and Cap etc. and/or they'll sign likeness contracts and be CG'd in for cameos.

Regarding DC/WB - I doubt very much that there will be another attempt at a team up film for at least a decade. WB seem happy enough to just funnel through anything that looks like it'll make a buck rather than maintaining any sort of shared universe particularly.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kidfried

@WanderingBullet @KALofKRYPTON

Personally I think having a shared universe is overrated. DC can make great movies without having it be a singular something.

I mean, it's comics too. In comics, when a writer or an artist change, you can have a totally different Batman or Superman from one day to the next. That creative freedom is what makes it fun as well.

Kidfried

WanderingBullet

@Kidfried The reason why I like shared universe is because of crossovers and team ups.

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried I would tend to agree, but Marvel/Disney laid out such a clear blueprint for success - that it needn't be some sort of restrictive crutch. It should and could have for WB, been a brilliant creative and commercial success.

Tjuz

I've ordered my tickets for A Star is Born for Sunday. I'm really excited for this movie. It's getting great reviews, and the song Shallow they've released is incredible. Hope it can live up to my expectations.

Tjuz

Kidfried

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I'm not going as far to say the movie is perfect, but: there's so much this film does so well.

It's funny, sad, satire, feel-good, feel-sad, and over-the-top done right. It's a real rollercoaster. I'm not going to forget this film anytime soon.

@Tjuz did you watch the original or other remakes of the film already?

Kidfried

AdamantiumClaws

Can't remember if I posted here or not but I saw Searching last week and loved it.

Even the rocks do not recall.

Tjuz

@Kidfried I haven't actually! I haven't watched many older movies, and the ones I watch nowadays are pretty random. I'm trying to go to the cinema more often and keep up with the current movies, though!

Tjuz

Kidfried

@Tjuz Haha, that's cool. Me neither, but I figured because you were so hyped about it, there was a possibility. (I see you're from Netherlands too, nice)

Kidfried

Tjuz

@Kidfried Makes sense, but alas, I'm not that educated in older movies. I'm just seeing all the great reviews coupled with an interest in Gaga's "serious" acting debut, plus I really enjoy a good musical (or a movie with songs in it at least). Yup! A fellow Dutchie, born and raised. Glad to know there's more than one of us on this forum. Hopefully you've represented the Dutch well before my arrival!

Another movie I'm very much looking forward too is Yorgos Lanthimos' The Favourite. I enjoyed The Lobster (although it was only really great for the first half), but I looove Olivia Colman. Truly one of the best actresses of this generation, without a doubt. She has never disappointed me, and I've watched a lot of Olivia Colman projects. I'm not familiar with Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone's work so far, but I look forward to "discovering" them. Easily the most exciting movie in this Oscar season for me.

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet

I'm glad Mysterio is getting an outing on screen.

Venom without Spidey was always going to be a struggle, and despite his popularity - Hardy is a bit of one-trick-pony and has very little range (and is crap at accents outside of his 3 gnarled mockney ones he rolls out for most roles).

iO9's review is relatively positive - the author is usually full of crap though, so...

I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp last night - really very decent. A nice, mostly self-contained film.

I also watched The Titan, which starts pretty strongly actually but the final third is an absolute rushed mess. I was glad when it ended.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic