Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 10,089

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Oh that wasn't meant as self promotion (and I don't really gargle pebbles). If you check out my twitter feed or website link on my signature it should have details. But don't feel obliged to listen. Also, it is for grown ups.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Thanks! No worries if you hate it. I recommend later episodes as sound quality etc. is better.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

RogerRoger

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

@crimsontadpoles You've hit upon exactly why I think I enjoyed watching Alien: Isolation so much. I'm not sure I'd ever watch a game that I'm interested in playing, or could play, for myself.

I tried watching Nolan North and Troy Baker play Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and it just got so frustrating, because I'd forever be growling "Go left... left... LEFT!" or replying aloud with "For the third time, it's triangle!" whenever Nolan asked how to pick up ammo. There were a couple times I did similar with Alien: Isolation, or where I saw things they missed, but it was lessened because I couldn't really judge, having never played it for myself.

Interesting to think about where people's eyes go when playing games, though. I would frequently see enemies, objects or environment details that I assumed were front-and-centre, and yet they'd turn away from them, completely oblivious to them. I guess that speaks to the difference between passively watching something and actively controlling it.

@JohnnyShoulder @LN78 I still very much agree with you both; watching interactive entertainment still feels weird, and I think that's why I stumbled into it under such specific circumstances... and yes, Gogglebox is a terrible stain upon modern humanity.

Never had a problem with Aoife's voice, but understand that regional accents can be an issue for many. I guess that's the beauty of YouTube; anybody can talk about anything!

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, my Netflix account has been abandoned for weeks whilst I've been watching Eurogamer, to the point where I feel like I'm now "behind" with it somehow...?! Weird feeling. I think finding one or two great, reliable content creators and sticking with them would be key. My best friend tries to watch a broader range of folks, but some just end up disappointing her (most recently, Angry Joe, who I've briefly watched before and, mercifully, he just isn't for me).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger I never watch these sorts of vids. Partly, my attention span isn't good enough to sit and watch something along those lines for 30mins plus as they often are. I also find them to be a bit dull or people try to be too zany/aggressive/OTT that it's all a bit galling for me.

I tried watching the North/Baker ones but it seemed like forever until they actually did anything!

I used to use the cracked.com forums a few years ago and some people did Let's Plays in the gaming section forum which I found good fun. Someone did one for Don't Starve and posted loads of screenshots but would also then let people following decide what to focus on next and that worked really well.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

I've only really watched let's plays of games I'm either never going to get or be able to play @RogerRoger and/or something like Detroit/Heavy Rain/Until Dawn which doesn't have too much gameplay to it

My main problem though is finding someone I actually like. As Thrillho says above they're usually either too dull or too over the top. Never really found a nice inbetween

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ellsworth004

This heatwave we are having in the US(i live in west Virginia) is insane. It was 96° today, in October. What is up with this.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Yeah I have a range of Youtube content creators that I like but to be honest, I only look at others when I get a direct recommendation. I'm a big fan of Jim Sterling, though not to a lot of peoples tastes, but I also like a some smaller Youtubers, especially Retro gamers. I went through a phase of being addicted to Bloodborne videos when I was playing.

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Yeah, the whole point of Retro Replay seems to have become "watch Nolan North and Troy Baker chat about stuff, and then occasionally play a game" and that's a huge hit-and-miss thing for me. Sometimes I'll leave it on, other times I just don't have the patience. It doesn't help that, whilst I love Nolan North, I find Troy Baker to be insufferably irritating, self-centered and arrogant. I'm sure he isn't, and maybe I'm just interpreting him wrong, but that's how he comes across to me.

But as you and @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy note, it's finding the right people amidst a vast sea of "must be extreme to get noticed" content creators which is the real trick... and as I've perhaps just proven by dissing Troy Baker, that's a very personal thing.

Especially since I also can't stand Jim Sterling, as @Rudy_Manchego mentions, despite acknowledging his general intelligence and bold accuracy. He drives me up the freakin' wall.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Yesterday I got really angry!
Untitled
😂😂

Soon on the way to restored stereoscopic vision! 😀

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Aye aye (damn, that joke doesn't really work in writing).

Glad things are heading in the right direction!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I am hopeful.
Though I'm having to wait for a delivery of saline before I can actually wear the new lenses away from the eye infirmary 🙄

I've got to build up wear time. So 4-6 hours a day for a couple of weeks. Those hours will mostly be after work, so it's shmup time! 😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Ha don't get me started on Rom the Vacuous Spider! I think I watched some if the IGN coverage as well.

I like Jim Sterling because as you say, he is passionate and intelligent and even if you don't feel as passionate, his writing and jokes are sharp and filled with a lot of humour. It is a big character act that I enjoy and I also feel he is pretty fair with most games. That said, @RogerRoger says, he is a pure Marmite entertainer!

Octane

@RogerRoger I don't actively watch it, but it works as background noise. Of course, it helps if the person playing it is informative IMO. I'm actually occasionally watching Retro Replay, because it nice to hear about the development of Uncharted for example. And yeah, I don't play horror games either, but I do like horror films, so I've watched some horror game let's plays in the past as well.

Octane

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Noice! Here's hoping it helps, and for a swift delivery of saline.

@Octane One day I'll learn to be able to have things on "in the background" and then I'll likely wind up doing much the same as you. Unfortunately my multi-tasking skills are somewhat lacking at the moment.

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Nice one! Glad you have got the balance right and feeling better.

I'd love to know the formula as I am struggling with that at the moment between work, family and downtime.

Th3solution

Not sure where to post this thought/question, and I don’t think it warrants its own thread, so I’ll just plop it down here:

Having “watched credits roll” on another game today, I was wondering if anyone actually watches the credits. Obviously the Marvel movies have revolutionized things with the post credits scenes — something I was happy to see they carried over into Insomniac’s Spider-Man game. Surely the upcoming Avengers game will likewise follow suit. I’m not sure if post-credits scenes were a thing before the MCU, but I’m sure someone out there will educate me if they copied the practice from someone else.

As for gaming, I sometimes watch the credits if the music is good but usually I just frantically push the “options” button, the touch pad, the “cross / X” button (😑), the triggers, anything to see if I can abort the credits to get back to the main menu. Many games don’t allow a way to bypass the end game credits. Titanfall 2 was like that today for me. So I watched as they cycled through the endless lists of names. At one point they listed “Titanfall 2 babies” which I can only assume were a list of all the babies that were born to employees of Respawn during the game development. I’m not sure how I feel about this. Sure, it’s cute and all, but basically any person who has any even minor affiliation with the studio during the game development appears to be listed. And that’s fine, it’s their game — they can do what they want. But at least give us the option to skip the credits if we want. There was a very minor post credits scene at the end of TF2, but it was next to nothing really.

Now, NieR Automata — that was some awesome end game credits. An interactive extension of the game, with symbolism mixed in and a true meaningful continuation of the narrative and the now famous final decision about sacrificing your game save ... just genius.

Anyways, while I was stuck watching every baby at Respawn be credited this afternoon, I wondered how many people actually watch the credits. My guess would be less than 10% of people actually pay any attention to end game credits. Maybe I’m wrong.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

There were definitely post credit scenes before the marvel films @Th3solution.

I remember the film Underworld had one of all things as a sequel hook. The first Pirates Of The Carribbean had a little scene too with Jack the monkey. Dead Man's Chest actually had a reveal tied to it's after credit scene...

Plenty of others I'm sure too, just the first two older ones to pop into my head

Horizon had a babies list and I think Crash Team Racing had one too. I think it's pretty weird honestly...

Also I skip 'em as often as I can... If it's unskippable I'll usually go do something else like grab a biacuit or make a sandwich/get a drink til it's finished

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

I love watching the credits until the end. I just love the moment to reflect on the maybe-20-plus-ish hours I've put into it

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Didn’t know about the Pirates and Underworld post credits scenes. I figured there were other movies out there that did it before, I just didn’t know which.
As far as games, I do think most games seem to make them skippable. But yeah, I also usually divert my attention away if I have to wait through them - like checking Push Square on my phone or going to the WC. 😛

I do remember sitting in awe a few times letting things sink in while credits roll for the games which really have an emotionally impactful ending, like @Kidfried mentioned.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Wasn't as common back then of course @Th3solution but a number of films did it over the years... But as you say Marvel brought them back and then some and did the mid credit scenes too...

Speaking of Spider-Man, forgot to ask but did you like the Stan Lee (R.I.P) cameo in the game? I thought that was a nice touch too

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic