Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 2,128

DerMeister

So, my saga of getting an external hard drive is finally over.

After buying an incompatible drive last week, I bought a cheaper one (still 8TB, for around $150 instead of $180) that came today, and thankfully works. I can finally buy more games!

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Kidfried

@DerMeister I have a 1TB hard drive and, because I delete games as soon as I expect I won't play them again within a year, I have always only used about half of it.

Kidfried

DerMeister

@Kidfried Unless it's a game I don't like, I generally go back and replay games, so deleting and reinstalling games was always going to be a chore for me. I thought it'd be best if I had an extra drive, and I'm glad I do.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Octane

@DerMeister Yeah, my long term plan is to have enough storage as well. I want an SSD though, way more reliable than HHD. 2TB should be enough I think as Spider-Man was the first game that made me delete some games to make room for it. But SSDs are still very expensive, so I'm gonna wait a few more years I think. I may get a cheap HHD as a temporary solution.

Octane

mookysam

@DerMeister More games! Yay! I got a 2TB hybrid drive earlier this year because keeping the games I had in rotation left increasingly little room on the stock 500GB one. I don't mind deleting things, but it was getting ridiculous. Especially glad given the size of Red Dead Redemption 2.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki i got a 2tb the day the update dropped and have got it about half full right now, although to be fair i did delete some games like MGSV and Battlefront 2 and the later being 90gb in size saved a bit of room

If life is a dream i wish somebody would wake me up from mine because it's more like a nightmare

it may be multiplatform now but Final Fantasy & PlayStation will always go hand in hand

Kidfried

@beemo I'm not used to measuring in feet, but that sounds kind of tricky. For a more optimal experience, I'd go for a bit bigger screen (if that's possible). Anyway, @BAMozzy is pretty good with this stuff, maybe he can share his views.

Kidfried

Octane

@beemo I think it depends on what you currently have, if the new TV has HDR, etc. I think mine is bigger tham 43 inches, and it's pretty close to the couch, so the difference was definitely noticeable.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@beemo I remember those days before I went HD in the 360 era. Fifa and Gears of War I really struggled with.

McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make of this? [hands Johnny a map]
Johnny: This? Well, I can make a hat; I can make a brooch; I can make a pterodactyl!

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@beemo At 10ft, you should be looking at 75" or more to get the most out of 4k. That being said, you can still get some benefits from a 55" TV at 10ft. The image will look sharper and more detailed - whether you can actually see all the finer details.

An example of that is 'text'. As the text gets smaller on screen, you have fewer pixels to define the edges and shapes. At 1080p, some very small text (say 4 pixels high) will be just a blur - especially letters that have rounder shapes - an L or an I would be OK but A or B or C or E would be difficult but at 4k, you have 16 pixels to create those same letters at the same screen size. Maybe you can't really see those words at 10ft away on a small 43" screen but if you wanted to, you would see nothing but a blurry blob with maybe the odd letter as readable but it would be a lot easier to read on a 4k screen. The main benefit is more in the mid range areas where 1080p starts to get blurry on smaller objects, things like hair/fur becomes more blurred together - tabby cats for example stop looking 'tabby' and become more of a smudge of colour - Ginger and white stripes become a pale ginger cat , light Grey and black stripes become a dark grey cat - they lose their stripes at closer to the camera than they do on a 4k screen because the pixels can't show more than 1 colour.

Its not just these things either - If you look at most films, your brain is filling in information - that green blurry smudge in front of that house shape is grass, that yellow smudge is sand in a desert etc so you don't often really look close but with 4k you can get more detail - more contrast with shadows and highlights which gives the grass more texture, more texture in Sand too as you can almost see each individual grains, Snow too stops being just flat white but almost each individual crystal that can sparkle in the light to give more texture too.

Like I said though, at 43" and 10ft away, you probably won't see these things anyway but they will be there. You may notice that there seems more sharpness. You will find the small print on text a lot easier to read as it won't be so blurry. It will make more difference in gaming as they use more fine lines, more sharp edges than films do so there will be a more noticeable difference than you will see in film/TV. At 43" though, you may have to look for those differences and most of the time, you will be wondering whether there is any difference at all. I doubt you could read text at 16 (4k) pixels high at 10ft away even if they are well defined and not just a blurry mess on a 43" TV. At 55" it would be difficult but maybe not impossible if you have white on black or black on white.

You can of course sit much closer but I would recommend going much larger - at least 55". If you want HDR you could drop down a bit to 49" as HDR is not so size dependent to be beneficial so will at least get some benefit - most TV's under 49" aren't 'great' for HDR and are more 'SDR' TV's that will play HDR content. They are 'brighter' but only because you don't watch SDR with the brightness turned up to max which you do with HDR on these.

According to charts, some would say that you should sit 3-4' away from 55" TV to get the best from 4k and over 7' away you would need to go up in screen size. At 10' away, the charts say you need at least 80" TV's but that is BS - maybe if you want to see a difference with 'every' pixel, every area on the screen, but you can still get the impression of a sharper, cleaner, less blurry/smudgy image, get the impression of more detail - read the cans on a shelf in a kitchen cupboard rather than just see the smudge of colours that indicate the cans in the background because their is more pixels to create that detail, that separation of colours. Players on the opposite side of a football pitch names are readable because there is more pixels to create the letter shapes - point is that detail is there and more defined and with higher contrast content (like bright text on dark backgrounds), that sharpness is more obvious.

The choice is yours at the end of the day, but I would recommend going as big as you can physically fit in that space. 4k is likely to be the only choice going forward anyway but to get the most from it, the bigger you need to go or closer you need to be. I think 55" should be the smallest you should consider and even then you may not see the 'smallest' details clearly in some content - its easier to see a white line on a black background because of the contrast than it will be to see variation in browns on a person's head for example because the colours are closer together.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

@beemo No probs - considering you are using a 32" TV now, the biggest benefit will come from increasing the screen size which will of course help with 'small' text because that too will be increased in size. 4k will make it sharper and that can make it easier to read - even at distance - because its sharper with the soft blurry edges that makes small things even more difficult to see. In a pitch black room, you can probably see see a pinhole of light at 10ft away - our eyes are very sensitive to light so text on a solid background (black on white or vice versa) will be easier to read.

If 43" is the most you can afford, its still going to be a sizeable upgrade and improvement over 32". Its going to be easier to see things in games, whilst watching TV etc and its not like you have to sit at 10' all the time - I am sure you could move closer on occasion. If you were going from a 43" HD TV to a 43" 4k TV, I would probably advise you to save your money and keep saving, wait for bigger TV's to drop in price and you to save enough money to buy bigger because the difference will be minimal between a 43" HD and 4k TV at 10' - you will really have to look hard or get closer to see the difference. Going from a 32" to 43" though is a different matter - that increase in size will be much more beneficial!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@Kidfried Alright, I wasn't sure if I was right or not, and I would feel silly talking nonsense.

Anyway, during one of my ''I need to watch trailers of every upcoming game I'm excited for'' moments, I saw the game Vane on my wishlist. I watched the trailer, and I remembered it was that intriguing game about a bird, a bit like Journey perhaps. Anyway, I moved on, watched a few PSVR games, and a little game called MARE showed up in my feed.

Turns out, it's unfortunately only confirmed for Oculus Rift so far, but it looks like a pretty cool game:

I'm getting strong Last Guardian vibes from it. But it also reminded me of Vane, as you're playing as a bird character. I did some searching, and it eventually brought me to Polygon of all places! Turns out there's this guy that worked on The Last Guardian, left midway development, wanted to make his own game and he joined a studio. That's what turned into Vane. He wasn't happy with the changes the studio wanted to make to his game, so he left (again), to work on his own, and now he's making MARE. A sprititual successor to a game that isn't even out yet which was inspired by The Last Guardian in the first place. And with Vane resembles TLG nothing at all, I can imagine that's due to the changes the studio wanted to make.

Here's another trailer:

Anyway, this is probably completely pointless to you, as I don't think anyone on PushSquare even owns an Oculus Rift (neither do I), but it's a cool story I wanted to share anyway lol. The Polygon article is actually worth a read.

Octane

jdv95

seems that fallout 76 will go down as 1 of the worst games when it comes to userscore.

the average user score on metacritic is 2.1. https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76/user...

not gonna lie,i do find some pleasure in that.

granted,actual reviews are not out yet,but i don't think the user score will go up by much anytime soon due to the backlash it has. (valid backlash in some cases)

Edited on by jdv95

jdv95

andreoni79

I share here an interesting read about videogames and violence; not the usual one since this time the journalist interviewed some of the survivors of the 2015 terrorist attack in Paris who always played videogames, shooters included.
This is the direct link for those who can read French; I haven't found an English translation yet.
https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2018/11/13/13-novembre-...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

Kidfried

@Octane I'm way too broke to ever have an Oculus Rift, but that game looks awesome. Art direction is superb on this one.

Vane I hadn't heard about before either. Put it on my wish list immediately, thanks!

Also, I feel like I'm on the minority on this site, but I feel like Polygon is one of the better sites for game journalism. I get that their politics don't gel with everyone, but their quality of writing is pretty high.

@andreoni79 Sounds like a super interesting read! I will look at this, and Octane's article, in the train tomorrow.

Kidfried

Jaz007

So a thought, why do companies want people playing non-MP games for so long? It makes for MP, but why a company wants people to keep them to keep playing a game instead of having a satisfactory experience and move in to buy another game is confusing to me. I can’t imagine stuff like AC gets that much of MCs.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic