Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 10,093

mookysam

The GameCube is so awesome. I don't have one any more (my brother's evil now ex-wife stole it, Zelda Collector's Edition and some other games), but I've used my Wii in its place since I got one in 2007. The Wii seems to have worse picture output, oddly.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are absolutely amazing. 2 seemed a little underappreciated for a long time - perhaps down to being harder and having more backtracking. Both main Zelda games are brilliant, although of the two I prefer Twilight Princess. Wind Waker will never age visually. I bought a North American copy around 7 years ago so I could play it in progressive scan and it looked absolutely gorgeous on my HDTV. Four Swords Adventures is well worth playing.

Although the system has few RPGs conpared the PS2, I really enjoyed Paper Mario and Baten Kaitos.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet Yeah, the article today and subsequent comments from Robert was timely regarding the early reviews and impressions. It has quite a bit more excited to give it a try. I also will probably wait for the first price drop though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@KratosMD I thought the Wii U Kirby was one of the better games in the franchise. Can't beat 64 though!

@mookysam Buy a katana and take your GameCube back Kill Bill-style!

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @WanderingBullet Same here with fighting games. Used to be into them big time when i was younger. I tried SFIV on the 360 after many years of not trying them cept for the odd go on Tekken. I didn't like it at all, even got one of those arcade sticks thinking it was the controllers fault lol.

Fast forward to the PS4 and i did try Injustice when it was on ps+, and again hated it. Did think my time with fighters had come to an end. But I too the plunge on Mortal Kombat XL went it was super cheap on the PS store and yeah really enjoyed it. Played through the story, a few of the challenges and had a blast. Did not dare to play it online though. 😂

Have got Injustice 2 second hand also but not played that much of it, it wasn't bad or anything I just need to be in the mood to play it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I’m looking at a fighter as maybe a palate cleanser game from time to time, and maybe something to just have for when the mood strikes. I’ve looked at Injustice 2 standard edition since it is fairly cheap, but the DLC characters look awesome so I want to just go for the legendary edition if I do get it. But Soul Calibur is striking all the right notes with the reviewers so far and seems good for casuals like me. I’d like to have a fighter that will still be relevant for a year or more to just pick up and play at random times and the character creation seems a nice thing to mess around with even if the roster gets old.
I’ve never tried playing with an arcade stick 🤔 maybe that would help. You didn’t get added enjoyment from it?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam

@Octane Haha I just got the Ironside Theme in my head. After my brother split from her it transpired she sold it on ebay. 😱 Where's Hattori Hanzo when you need him?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Tbh, I would've pre-ordered it if there was a steelcase version without the season pass.haha

@JohnnyShoulder I want to play injustice 2 but I'm just not a fan of the character designs at all in the game. I think a lot of them especially the costume designs are pretty ugly.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Octane

@KratosMD I prefer the weird ones. The 'traditional' games are so... standard? I prefer Epic Yarn over Return to Dreamland for example; 64 had some neat mechanics, and the Wii U game is just very unique in its own right.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

My New 2DS XL arrived!

All the buttons are in weird places but it's comfortable to hold at least. Runs a little hot too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

The GameCube in my opinion at least was the last great Nintendo console, Heck if you want to get technical it is the last true video game system before they all become more media players then anything else.

It had a good amount of third party games as well before Nintendo scared off third parties by introducing gimmicks to their systems. I still stand by it that the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II ran and looked better then it's PS2 and Xbox counterparts.

I was bummed that my GameCube died but I do have an original Wii that I can play GameCube games on but it's still not the same for one thing I hate having to access the GC mode with the Wiimote just takes too long. I have bought several GameCubes from thrift stores, garage sales, even retro game shops but they always end up not reading the discs which makes me think GameCubes must have had poor lasers or something.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki
Weird. Never had any disc read issues on a GC. Still have my second (Platinum) GC that I bought on release and that's still fine.

Only disc issue I ever had for that gen was my first fat PS2 - it stopped reading some DVDs properly after a couple of years.

I agree on your point about Soul Caliber 2 - only problem was the GC controller and that Link was crap compared to Spawn!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah I had a platinum one too bought it when Soul Calibur II came out but it just stopped reading discs about 10 years ago. By that time I had my Wii so I just sold it to a local retro shop for parts. Still as I said its just easier to play GC on it then the Wii.

As for Spawn in Soul Calibur, I only played him a few times cause my friend had it on Xbox since he owned that instead of a Cube. When we were over at his house we would play that when he came over to mine we would play the GC version. From what I remember he had like a totally cheap attack with his cape that could be spammed over and over. Of course even on the GC version I rarely used Link, mostly played as Talim.

My Backlog

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Nah could never get used to the arcade stick. Probably didn't give it enough time. I'm fine using the dual shocks with MKX and Injustice.

@WanderingBullet I don't think I would ever pay full price for a fighter, as I don't play it online it feels like I'm only getting half the game.

I was thinking of getting the extra stuff for Injustice 2 but I've not played it enough to warrant a purchase. Plus I'm not hugely into the DC stuff so feel it would be wasted a bit on me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki The biggest issue I found with Spawn were his ranged attacks when levitating. Kilik was usually a good counter.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Octane

@Tasuki GameCube's are usually known for their high quality build and longevity. Mine's still working perfectly fine. You must've had incredibly bad luck I think!

@mookysam I dunno, check your nearby sushi restaurant, you may never know

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

I think the GC, black, is my favourite console design of all time. I just think it looks nice.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego i have both the Black and the Purple one and honestly i prefer the Purple one but that could also be because every damn electrical appliance when that came out was black so it made a nice change (still are in fact)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah it was something like that. As I said though I never played him much. Although he was better then Heihachi.

@Octane Could be, although to be fair the others I bought as I said we're from thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales so who knows what previous owners did to them.

My Backlog

Kidfried

@Octane The overall build is known for that, but there's thousands cases of people not able to play their GameCube anymore, due to its laser. It's the weak point of the console. Had to replace mine because of it too.

Also: sorry everyone, I changed my display picture. I really love the Aoi pic, so I'll probably change back to that at some point. But Ni No Kuni's character design is unmatched really.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried It’s a very cute avatar. Yeah, it takes some getting used to when people change their avatar pic but I like to change mine up too sometimes to reflect either the game I’m currently playing or my current mood.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic