Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i would say the fall started when Viacom and CBS split in 2005, it lead the the cancellation of Enterprise and the creation of an alternate licence for Paramount that stipulated that the production could not look or feel 100% the same as the original works (as CBS held the master licence but not the rights to produce films, Paramount had those rights) they had to be a minimum of 25% different (that's where that whole rumour about Discovery came in which it total bull as CBS held the master licence they could use any design they wanted too, even Paramounts Kelvinverse stuff, it was Fuller who chose the change the design of everything and the head of CBS at that point didn't even like Star Trek so he didn't care nor want it, yeah the whole reason Trek is in the state it's in now is because the guy in charge didn't even want to make a new Trek he only did it because it's their biggest IP and they needed something big to launch CBSAllAccess), Discovery wasn't made for the love of the brand, it was made to launch a streaming service

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo You're likely correct - the sell out of the franchise to a frankly predatory company like Bad Robot propagated the trend to having Star Trek as a nothing more than a money making exercise for almost everyone involved.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

nessisonett

@KALofKRYPTON That’s because JJ Abrams hasn’t had one original idea in his whole life. He exists solely to prey on nostalgia, creating inferior versions of past movies while adding ‘Easter eggs’ that apparently make up for the lack of quality. He did it to Star Trek, he did it to Star Wars, what’s next? Doctor Who?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i'm hoping that they can turn things around, given that the new head of ViacomCBS apparently believes in the franchise and is a fan

i don't think it will affect season 3 of Discovery as that was already underway before the re-merger but season 4 of Discovery and season 2 of Picard and possibly the next movie could get the brand back on track

we will just have to wait and see i guess

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 @nessisonett you never know given that super hero movies re-use old comic stories he might actually be able to do a decent Superman film

nessisonett

@LN78 Oh dear, oh dear. It’s almost as if DC are determined to sink the DCEU at all costs.

nessisonett

@LN78 I’d rather see Nic Cage’s movie get made 😂😂

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Have a look for his script online. It's been around for a while. Elements of it make it in to Returns and Man of Steel (and what would have been Flyby anyway). his first couple of goes were terrible.
The last version was much tighter, still a bit out there for Superman though. Probably wouldn't have been a good film.

JJ could be a good fit for DC. He's the type who would lift comic ideas almost wholesale, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with some of the DC roster - but he's too interested in the trend for subversion and shock-value to make something worthwhile.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

nessisonett

@LN78 Nope but I’ll give it a watch!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @nessisonett @LN78 i'll probably stick to the DC animated movies for now, i enjoyed Man of Steel but BvS was mediocre, Justice League was OK, Wonder Woman was great Shazam was OK and so was Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey were terrible

all in all the DCEU is a mess

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 good point best post a Trek thing to get back on track

for those of us in the UK there is still no news about Discovery season 3 nor the second wave of Short Treks, regardless of if you like them or not it's pretty worrying when the distributor falls silent on these kind of things

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 so IF that's true (and i use the word IF) i imagine they will try to sell Trek to someone else, probably Amazon Prime as Amazon is less bothered by binge streamers like Netflix is because Prime isn't the only way the distribute content

personally i'll be OK if the entire Trek library came to Prime, if it's going to be on a streaming platform i would rather they all be in the same place

not to mention because Prime allows companies to use it the host their own streaming services (for example you can get Funimation Now through Prime) ViacomCBS might be more willing to use it to distribute All Access in other regions

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78
Interesting.

I wonder whether the Channel 4 run has picked up many viewers?

I haven't noticed any touted numbers for Picard - but i should think it's success is now integral to future projects involving any of the current production teams.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON while i can't get the actual numbers apparently it did quite well on TV

FullbringIchigo

so just watched today's episode of Picard and it was a decent one but very much a character building episode, it doesn't move the plot along much

feels like it's setting up a big finale though

on a side note what i said about Hugh in a previous post was true after all

damn it

FullbringIchigo

Preview for next weeks Picard Season 1 Episode 8 is up on the official Star Trek website

of course it goes without saying but SPOILER ALERT

Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
I quite liked this week's. I admit I was a little concerned with how they might play it, but Frakes and Sirtis were really great - as was Stewart with them.
One of my points I've made about post BSG sci fi was born out again though.

!!! SPOILER TAG EMAIL WARNING!!!

That point being that like many a fantasy writer, post BSG sci fi shows really struggle with the notion of giving their characters - even minor, fleeting ones any lasting success or contentment. I really, really hate that Riker and Troi couldn't have just gone on to have contented lives after Starfleet. The use of them having a dead child to explain their retirements and lazily back up the folly of the Synth ban was a genuine shame. It was great seeing them again, but as with Picard and Seven, they're a bit broken now. And of course, Hugh - there to be killed because whatever 'treaty' is meant to be in place doesn't make the slightest bit of sense 🙄

nessisonett

I actually really liked that episode. It was nice to see Troi and Riker again and relatively happy despite the obvious Kurtzman muddying of the waters. Hugh was a sticking point for me. They just love to play on nostalgia then throw out a ‘twist’ which is in fact just killing off people left, right and centre.

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 on that first one, i believe they explained it in an episode that she was shielded and they couldn't transport her as for the rest i dunno best guess on the "past" stuff they used information from sensor logs and holographic projectors to recreate the scene

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 the thing with the bag was so she wouldn't know who was taking her but i believe in episode 3 they even show a security video of what happened and she wasn't there because the sensors couldn't pick her up, almost as if and this is how they said in in the show, she was cloaked

plus being an android a stun blast might not work, it didn't always work on data

i'm not saying it was all brilliantly explained but it was still explained why it happened like that

also this is Kurtzman, the same guy that made the last Mummy movie, he doesn't make thing to make sense, he makes things to be flashy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic