Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 the first 2 are a bit rough but i think you should stick with it for a little bit more, it does get better

as for if you will still like it i can't say but i think you should got to at least the half way point, episode 5

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yeah a lot of people have been complaining about that, saying it's "not starfleet" but that wasn't my issue, mine was it just felt out of place, i'm not against the odd swear word even in Trek as long as it makes sense like the "oh S**T!" line from Data in Generations or "we're through running from these B******s" that Riker said in Insurrection but for some reason they seem to have a fascination with people dropping the "F bomb" in Trek right now, first Tilly in Discovery and now this and like i said if it was used in the right context i wouldn't care but both times they haven't although maybe i can let the Admirals slide as she was pretty angry at Picard, he had just embarrassed Starfleet in front of the galaxy and then waltzes into her office expecting a ship and crew just because he is "Jean Luc Picard"

the Tilly one though, that was just there for the sake of having a swear because it's a streaming show now, same with the L'rell/Tyler sex scene, just being gratuitous for the sake of it

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 maybe it's all Spocks fault, he came back from the 1980's and just couldn't stop saying "colourful metaphors" for a while so everyone else picked it up

FullbringIchigo

so the live figures for Doctor Who series 12 are out and it's not great to be honest, apparently these are the lowest since the McCoy era when it was cancelled

Untitled

Source: DoctorWhoTV series 12 viewing figures

nessisonett

Not looking good at all for Doctor Who but it’s because they don’t know their audience. SuperWhoLock is dead, as is Tumblr so they should even attempt to get that crowd. Make the Doctor a middle aged man, the companion a scantily clad teenager and show those snowflakes who’s boss 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 basically all the different numbers are

Overnight TV ratings only include those who watched it live and those who recorded and watched it later that night.
Consolidated TV ratings includes those who recorded and watched within a week, making them a more accurate measure of how many were watching.
Live Plus counts those who watched live and all repeats, including iPlayer, within X days following broadcast.
Audience Appreciation Index (AI) is a score out of 100 which is used as an indicator of the public’s appreciation for a show. Over 90 is considered exceptional, 85 or over is excellent, 60 or less is poor, and less than 55 is very poor.

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 not sure, i'm guessing from reviews and meta sites, it says Audience but i think it's mainly professional critics and they lapped up this last series

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 just look at the critic score on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doctor_who/s12

the series was better than the last bu no way was it a over 90 series

also look at the audience score that is LOW

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 no idea but it must be strong

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 RT is a cesspit. There were more than 6 critic review before - they've been up to their shinanegans again 🙄

I'd say the only gratuitous companions were maybe Leela and (definitely) Peri 🤔

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

nessisonett

@LN78 Don’t worry, I’m just poking fun at the crowd who still think JW being a woman is why the show’s been terrible recently. Clearly, it’s the writing but hey, maybe if they turn it into a stereotypical nerd power fantasy, it’ll get popular again!

nessisonett

@LN78 No bother, it’s always hard to detect sarcasm over text 😂😂

RogerRoger

Caught up with this week's episode of Picard and I'm forced to agree with @KALofKRYPTON about the shame of everybody having to be broken or damaged in some way (one of the many modern trends I'll never forgive the Battlestar Galactica reboot for).

Picard talking through his problems with Riker and Troi over homecooked pizza should've been what the show was all about from the beginning; instead, we're given fleeting glimpses of this perfection, overshadowed by a tragic backstory and constantly cutting away to show fan favourite characters being killed by hammy villains and close-up shots of people puking blood. It reminded me of the one-hand-giveth-the-other-taketh-away treatment of Seven's character ("She's back, and she's a badass! But it's because we gorily murdered Icheb, and now we're gonna make her call hope foolish.") and makes me genuinely terrified about any other returning cast members, rather than excited like I should be. What are they gonna do to poor Guinan in the second season?

Despite all this, we still got to see Picard, Riker and Troi together again, sorting out issues and helping one another just like the good ol' days. Troi calling out Picard for his lack of empathy was an amazing moment, very in-character. It's like they never missed a beat, and I had a big grin on my face throughout every one of their scenes (minus the "our son is dead, by the way" bit, of course).

But yeah, as I said, with one hand giveth... and maybe that's Picard in a nutshell. We get to stare at our lovely dessert, but only whilst forcing down our vegetables.

The fanboy pass I've been giving the show has nearly expired. The ending had better be brilliant.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Riker was awesome in that episode, felt very much like the Will of TNG

"Red Alert cancelled, burnt tomato"

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I must admit, when he started barking orders at his home computer, I was immediately satisfied with his performance. Everything else after that was just icing on the cake.

The bond between him and Picard was totally 100% believable, and incredibly sweet.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah but i guess when they have 7 seasons and 4 films they have the time to build that kind of bond

unlike modern Trek where they just give them the bond and tell people to accept it (looking at you Discovery)

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Helps that Stewart and Frakes are best friends (as are the whole cast). They were basically playing themselves in every scene.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger probably was, just two guys sat on a bench near a river

if i'm honest i would pay to see that, a special with Stewart and Frakes chilling on a bench chatting, maybe doing a little fishing too

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Well, there's already the Captain's Summit on the old Blu-Ray collections. Stewart, Frakes, Shatner and Nimoy sitting around a table, with Whoopi Goldberg supposedly "hosting" and asking them questions, but it all just descends into five friends swapping stories and laughing a lot.

Every other cast roundtable got an external moderator in, and it was a mistake. The closest runner-up was when Brannon Braga moderated an Enterprise cast reunion. That was cool, too.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo
It was great to see them. Frakes was apparently incredibly apprehensive about it as he felt like he'd forgotten how to act; the cast dynamic really shines through though and Frakes and Sirtis just manage to look comfortable as in their defining roles.

It's odd that they didn't mention the Titan though. For all the little nod and bits of fan service here and there and establishing what they were up to.

I remember Frakes and Sirtis used to joke about having their own 'At Home With The Rikers' TV show. That would have been awesome.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic