Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @LN78 ...or, y'know, seal the door and then beam out?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @LN78 why didn't they just beam the bomb out?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@LN78 @FullbringIchigo Using Batman '66 to describe the logic in Star Trek: Discovery says it all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Batman 66 can be used to describe a lot of things to be fair

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger @LN78
"Answer affirmative, Batman! We disposed of a war surplus submarine last Friday. A pre-atomic model. To some chap named, uh, "P. N. Guin"."

Well there's a fun game!

Where is the dialogue from - STD or Batman The Movie?

"He must be using a Super-Energy Reverse Polarizer!"
"Disposing of pre-atomic submarines to persons who don't even leave their full addresses?! Good day, Admiral!"
"Let's hope it's a stitch in time..."

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i really need to watch that film again

FullbringIchigo

It's finally done CBS and Viacom have officially merged and ViacomCBS is born

what this means for the future of Trek i don't know but as talks of a 4th Kelvinverse film are in the works i think it could mean good things (regardless of people feelings on the films at least they are open to making more Trek movies)

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Somebody should re-edit the moment Culber breaks up with Stamets, just to show his face staring into middle distance as the music from Bruce Wayne's date with Miss Kitka starts playing.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger anything to inject something akin to any sort of actual chemistry between them shoukd do the trick!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah for 2 people who supposedly love each other there isn't really a lot of it shown on screen bar a bit of touching and i think 1 kiss, i have seen deeper relationships in episodes Game of Thrones

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Glad I wasn't the only one who found their interactions pretty weak. Stamets also came across a little creepy whenever he was doing relationship scenes; I think he should stick to science, he seems to carry that a little better. Culber seems to have more range.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
I think with Stamets, they were trying so hard to tap in to the 'high functioning arsehole' trope, that any genuine relationship could only ever feel disjointed. To have him be such an acerbic bloke then pair him with the literal carer was a mistake. As was having him punching so very far above his weight ๐Ÿ˜ผ๐Ÿ˜‚

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah to be fair the person he would best be suited to in terms of personality is Reno, if Reno was a bloke then they could have left Culber dead and built a relationship there

i feel they missed a chance just to bring Culber back in probably the dumbest way ever done in Trek and this is a series where a energy wave turned a dead body back into a baby that regrew to a adult in a short time and then had his soul that was in the mind of his frenemy put back into him so that's saying something

and being honest Culber wasn't that good of a character anyway

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo Hey, at least Stamets has a character beyond being "the gay one" which is where I think Culber suffers, as he's never been given any depth or complexity outside of being Stamets' partner. The whole back-from-the-dead thing was his big chance, but when it just became relationship jeopardy I kinda tuned back out again.

Reno and Stamets, yeah, now there's a match-up I wanna see more of. That would make for some genuinely interesting and entertaining banter, at the very least.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i think the mistake was making them an established couple, on of the reasons other relationships in Trek worked such as Kira and Odo is because we got to see that grow over the course of the show, we got to see all the ups and downs but with Stamets and Culber we are just told "HEY these 2 a couple" and even them saying how they first met felt forced

they should have had them meet and get together on the Discovery but i suppose that might be hard when the show only really focuses on one character and it's just another reason why the franchise is better as a episodic, ensemble show

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's true, very good point. Even with Riker/Troi and Picard/Crusher, there was a more complex history established from the beginning, which we periodically checked in with, and nowhere near as often as we explored other facets of their individual characters. All of the other successful relationships (Kira/Odo, Paris/Torres, T'Pol/Trip) we saw from beginning to end, and involved people who were many other things before they were somebody's significant other.

Probably why I rolled my eyes when Culber professed his mistake and love for Stamets in the last episode, because I'd have actually found it more interesting if they stayed separated and were allowed to develop a little more in the next season, before either finally getting back together or finding new people (or hey, y'know, staying single; why must everybody pair up?).

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger because for some reason there has to be at least one couple in a show and everything has to be interconnected now a days

god forbid we can ever just have well written characters and interesting stories again

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, sh... damn. What a talent, and always a genuine, lovely person in interviews. It takes something special to inhabit a rubber face and make it come as alive as Odo always did. I also thought he was brilliant in Boston Legal. He had a character who switched between "hard-nosed boss" and "vulnerable old man trying to fix his mistakes" and he played both aspects perfectly.

Hate to say it, but that's two now, and celebrity deaths have a nasty habit of coming in threes. Fingers tightly crossed for everybody this coming week.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic