Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Nope.

It will never not look like what it is: a Ralph McQuarrie concept sketch.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you mean like this one
Untitled

they did kind of use his bridge design though
Untitled

you know i love looking at Star Trek concept art, it always looks so good

Vengence Crash
Untitled

U.S.S Defiant
Untitled

U.S.S Voyager
Untitled

and it's Bridge
Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Yep - it's a little bit pathetic that they used it with such minor alterations

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i wouldn't say it's pathetic after all it is a design that is owned by them so they are well within their rights to use it, but i will say it is lazy

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Lazy is absolutely a fitting word too. For the majority of the ship designs on STD really.

FullbringIchigo

Best version of the Enterprise 1701?

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo only 2 of those are the Enterprise 😜

I'd go for the refit thought 😁

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Somebody's been hammering Google Image Search!

These are all really great to look through, though. In answer to your question about the NCC-1701, I'd go for the Refit first, then probably the 2009 version (yeah, I like it, although it took its hideous revisions from Star Trek Beyond to make me realise just how much) before the classic. Whilst the version from Star Trek: Discovery does look pretty good, I think it's a tad unnecessary.

In a recent haul of Eaglemoss starships, I picked up the USS Bonaventure NCC-1000, a conjectural design from the 2006 Ships of the Line book. I usually avoid non-canon designs, but this is just such a perfect stepping stone between the NX-Class and the Constitution-Class that I have it solidly in my headcanon now (and it also helpfully ignores the steps taken by the hideous NX-Class Refit; apologies to its fans, but I think it's a nonsensical travesty against all logic, reason and beauty).

Untitled

I'm also thinking of picking up Rick Sternbach's concept USS Voyager. Not because I like it (bullet mercifully dodged, thank goodness) but as an interesting piece of a design process.

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i love some of the more obscure stuff Eaglemoss are releasing, even if i can't get any of them and it's great they are putting them out there for people to see

as for the NX-01 Refit i agree it was completely unnecessary and it doesn't even look that good either, although i really like the original NX Class

another ship i like even though many tend to hate it is the Steamrunner Class
Untitled

yeah it looks a little odd i admit but i always liked these compact designs on Federation ships, it as something different to the Saucer and secondary hull configuration they always seemed to use, same with the Olympic Class
Untitled

the Ball instead of a saucer is something you don't normally see, shame the only times you saw the Olympic Class was in an alternate future that doesn't exist and in a comic prequel to the 2009 movie that is no longer canon because of Star Trek Picard

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

NX Refit for life! ✊🏾

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'm a huge supporter of the NX-Class. I know some didn't like it, and I know that it's based on the Akira-Class (which oddly enough, I think is only okay) but I think it's fantastic. It looks gorgeous from every angle, and all of its unique features were blended so well together with the practical sets, like the shuttlepod launch bays and bridge module.

And yep, seems we have the same tastes in starship design; I'm a big fan of the Steamrunner-Class (even put the prototype in one of my long-running fan fiction projects) and the Olympic-Class, which is so good I like to consider it canon, anti-time anomaly be damned.

Speaking of unusual starships, I'll always speak up on behalf of the Oberth-Class, too. Was always nice to see it pop up again, even as the resident whipping boy in TNG.

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON ...yes, I wasn't gonna make a big deal about it, but my apologies were basically for you.

Each to their own!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know i always wondered who thought that design, as cool as it is was a practical one, to get to the secondary hull you literally have to go through the Warp Nacelles

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo There have never been any windows in the secondary hull. As much as I like some of the cutaways and MSDs designed for the Oberth-Class over the years, I always just assumed that the saucer and impulse drive areas were habitable, and that the secondary hull was packed with powerful sensor equipment... y'know, since it's a science vessel and all.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger nope it actually has Labs, rooms and quarters down there

Untitled
this was the official MSD from Star Trek TNG, from what i understand they used Transporters to get from one hull to the other quickly but the pylons apparently also had rooms and turbolifts in it

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh yeah, I know. I just think that somebody else created that MSD for plot purposes in "Night Terrors" (TNG) and that the original intent was to have the secondary hull uninhabited.

But you're right, in the age of beaming, why does every part of a starship need a connecting corridor?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know the most bizarre design i saw on Trek was (for Starfleet anyway) was that one from DS9 Season 6 Episode 1: A Time to Stand
Untitled

i can't remember what class is is but it looks like someone took apart an Excelsior Class, turned it's secondary hull around and stuck the saucer at the back?

it's just bizarre

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ah, yes. That would be the USS Curry NCC-42254, a kitbash as equally absurd as the USS Yeager NCC-65674 which takes an Intrepid-Class saucer and mashes it together with the main body of a Maquis raider. Both ships have been immortalised by Eaglemoss.

Untitled

It's a shame that Deep Space Nine relied on such hideous, cheap attempts to flesh out the Starfleet so early on, before they inherited hand-me-downs from First Contact. Of all the shows, they were the one that needed a better design budget; the Enterprise-D only rendezvoused with other Starfleet vessels periodically, whilst both Voyager and the NX-01 were lone wolves.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic