Forums

Topic: Gaming Tat (...Return of the Tat!)

Posts 161 to 180 of 729

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Sweet Christmas! Initially I railed at the TNBA suit instead of TAS - but it actually works much better than trying to do the shaded blue cape & cowl in this style.

That's hot!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet That Superman is phenomenal! Apart from the S. That's not the TAS design.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Thanks for the heads-up! I haven't started to consider the components of my bat-shelf yet, beyond that aforementioned Batman Ninja statue, but having watched Batman: The Animated Series last year on Blu-Ray (and having preferred the show's final post-redesign season, so this version is actually my favourite animated Batman) I'm sorely tempted!

Not sure I like the extra grapnel gun hand, though. It's one of those rare cases where I prefer the standard edition (like the GamingHeads Tomb Raider III statue I'm considering, where the premium edition gives her a shotgun over twin Uzis and doesn't look half as dynamic).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

So, today of all days, I wake up early, go grab Team Sonic Racing and get a little keyring and a toy Sonic car as a bonus, and think "yeah, that'll do".

I'm on the final race of the first Grand Prix and my phone rings. There's a vast box being delivered outside. Turns out it's something I ordered from eBay (along with a bunch of other things from other franchises) on Sunday, which wasn't scheduled to be delivered until Friday at the earliest.

Today really is Sonic Tuesday.

Untitled

Untitled

So I'm properly having a total fanboy day today. Also, just to give a sense of his scale, and because of the perfect timing of the delivery...

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger New toys!

It's nice too! Not bad for a Tuesday.

Also: I'd put money on you being the only person anywhere to have an Oberth placed in premium desk space!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON

The Oberth-Class isn't staying there (alas, because I do love it). This is my new desk and I'm currently overhauling all the furniture in my apartment, so things are just "up off the floor" whilst I build. Eventually, I think I'll have my Totaku figures lined up beneath my monitor, because they represent a broad range of stuff that I like. Plus they're cute.

Silver will be joined by an Agent 47 and a Lara Croft shortly.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

As promised / threatened, Agent 47 has joined the party in my apartment...

Untitled

He's pretty decent for what he is; the statue is from the Collector's Edition of the first PS4 game, which I never got at launch (so finding a half-decent one on eBay was a challenge). So he's a quality chunk of resin, but lacking the care and finesse of a premium piece. Also, the base is plastic, despite looking anything but from a distance.

And he's roughly to scale with a standard Sideshow Collectibles figure, which is neat.

Untitled

For now, it's just Lara left. She's on pre-order, due for release in late June / early July, though, so my postman can rest easy for a couple weeks... until I figure out what Batman I want.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
That's really nice, the suit rendering and texture especially. Polystone or resin?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Er… no idea. Guess I said "resin" because he isn't plastic or metal...?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Just had a look, it's PVC apparently! Very impressive!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'll take your word for it; I just thought he looked nice!

Significantly better than the other Agent 47s out there, at any rate. I didn't want him to look out of place amidst all my other shelf clutter / dust magnets.

You and I would probably love geeking out at one another's collections!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger

Does he come with interchangeable parts?

I really don't have much these days.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON No, no interchangeable parts, alas. Although with the pose and armchair, I'm not sure what they could've swapped out, aside from providing a completely separate, standing 47.

I've been a little torn because my Lara Croft currently on order had two different versions; one default and one "deluxe" with interchangeable arms. Thankfully I think the default looks way, waaaay better than the deluxe version, so I saved myself £50 there. Normally I'm not a big fan of having options. I always feel bad about putting nice-looking, carefully-crafted things into storage. It's why you can see the Phase 2 helmet and blaster rifle at the feet of Commander Wolffe up there.

Surely still a few choice items on your desk or something, though, yeah?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Ah. Just wondered, PVC doesn't do well in storage!

I've a few bits and bobs about yeah

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I have a question you might be able to help with, if you don't mind?

I recently got some old (1997) statues, new and sealed from eBay. Problem is, they were packed with little cubes of polystyrene and foam wedged all around them to keep them safe and, because of their age, each cube has left behind white residue on the otherwise-dark surfaces they were touching (kinda like they've "fused" with the statue).

Whilst we've established that I'm not a material expert, I think the statues are hand-painted polystone (they've got a bit of weight to them).

If I were to attempt to wash the affected areas with soapy water, would I damage the statue?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Blimey!

That sounds a lot like the plastic (styrene) has reacted with the paint.

The polystone itself should be fine, but the paint could be a variety of compounds - even on the same statue.

Warm water is worth a try first (if not even a duster), then move on to soap, washing up liquid etc as patch tests somewhere discrete on the models.

Honestly though, I'd suggest getting as much info' as you can about each statue's construction and paint and them jumping on a reddit modelling forum or similar and ask.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, yes, good idea about patch-testing. Hadn't thought of that.

The paint is matte but has flecks of a metallic compound in, to give everything an ever-so-slight glisten. That's probably my biggest concern; that it'll somehow impact that effect. But the affected areas aren't exactly front and centre. A lot of the packing material was wedged around their backs.

I've got a third incoming, but he's a silvery-blue colour and so if it's happened to him, it won't be as noticeable. These two I've got here are very dark blue / black / dark red.

Thanks for the tips!

PS: Glancing at my post above, I've just noticed that I called something from 1997 "old" without even thinking twice about it. That's just depressing!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic