Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 3,698

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam @kyleforrester87 i first played FF7 back in 1997 got it with my PS1 so there is a lot of nostalgia for me plus it was a big thing too as it was the first time i used my own earned money to buy a game (i was a ball boy for a local football 5 a side league) but even through all that it's still a great opening area for a video game

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Try secret of manas opening hour to see a truly truly awful introduction for an rpg. That one is ALL nostalgia. Lol.

Final Fantasy 13 had a great opening, a pity it was all cut scenes.

Ok so heres my ranking on ff games intros.

1st - ff7
2nd - ff10
3rd - ff9

Ff8 is my favourite game in the series however its opening post cutscene with Seifer and Squall battling is weak with your education finale to the fire cavern (fml).

When Im refering to the opening I mean the first hour from the moment you take over. Cut scenes or scene setting dont count else ff13 would be in with a shout. I cant remember ff12s opening bits at all, your fighting rats in a sewer or something rubbish.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I dunno man, I think you're being a bit unfair on SOM. I do need to play more of it, but it's pretty highly regarded and has turned up 3rd on the list below, which I appreciate could mean anything but the other selections in the list look appropriately placed so..

http://www.techradar.com/news/all-the-snes-minis-games-ranked...

"3: Secret of Mana
Recently confirmed for the reboot treatment by Square Enix, Secret of Mana – or Seiken Densetsu 2, as it's known in Japan – is comfortably one of the most iconic JRPGs in existence. It got pretty much everything right back in 1993; engaging real-time combat, sumptuous visuals, gorgeous music and – perhaps most important of all – a gripping storyline populated with memorable characters."

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Its nostalgia mate. Anyone who missed this first time cant possibly enjoy the opening now. Its so poorly done, give it a whirl.

You accidentally fall off a bridge, pull up a sword from where you fall, fight some mushroom things, get told you are a bad boy, jump into a hole, fight a crab alien, get told to meet a stranger in the ice palace, your adopted dad disowns you, shoot off in a cannon. To be fair the cannon was the best bit.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy As for my ranking on the best intros I guess it goes FF7, FF9 and...FF15?

FF7 and 9 for obvious reasons. FF15 I thought was quite nice with the very beggining scene when you're pushing the car and "stand by me" comes on. Thought it was cool.

FFX was good, but the whole bit where Tidus first ends up in Spira before he gets to Besaid was annoying to me.

FF8 had a cool intro and I liked the Garden soundtrack, I guess? As for the first section itself.. yuck. It kinda picked up when you did the beach landing mission. But I was so hyped for 8 after 7 and to be dumped on the world map after 15 minutes to head off to a cave to fight Ifrit.. ehh buzz kill.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

Final Fantasy XV ... Pocket Edition for iOS?!?
Just saw this for pre-order on the Apple App Store for iPhone. The advertisement makes it sound like it’s a remake of the actual console game with the more simplistic graphics. Surely it’s not the same entire game with the full story, world, and gameplay— right? Not sure how I feel about this.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution yeah it's a mobile remake, same story and everything, it is released in episodes but the first is free

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo Well, I’ve yet to play XV (still in my backlog) and I’ve also yet to play any sort of huge RPG on my phone so I’m not qualified to pass judgment here, but I can’t imagine the mobile version does the game justice. I wonder if the controls on a touch screen are at all serviceable and if the small screen can really highlight the large world and epic nature of a FF game. And if they can port this to iPhone, why not to Vita? (Besides the obvious fact that the quantity of iPhones in the world out number the amount of Vitas in the world probably by millions. The Vita adoption rate for a JRPG port surely would be more than the average mobile phone user)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution not coming to the vita might be because the vita isn't in production anymore while phones and tablets are but the first episodes is free so there is nothing to stop you downloading it and seeing what it plays like but i imagine it will be simple tap controls like most others are

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I don’t want my first experience with the game to be on my phone. I’m the first to admit I’m a snobby gaming purist.
As far as I can tell, this is the first time Sqenix has ported a latter-gen FF to mobile where it completely changed the aesthetics. I think a lot of them are available on mobile up to FF IX, but graphically they look the same as their originals. This XV port looks more like a prototype of the console version. I guess they gotta make back some of the money from the long development cycle it took to make the game. I suppose I can’t fault them for that. It’s just I wonder if artistically and creatively it’s what the director envisioned.

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution i don't know if it's what they envisioned but i would think the console version is the true vision so i would suggest you play the console version first because this port could sour your impression of it with it being so different and all

also i'm pretty sure the FF1 through 6 mobile ports all look different to their originals too but then again mobile phones don't have proper controls so of course they would need some changes because of the touch screen

personally the best version of FF games to play on consoles are the PSP ports of FF1 through 4 the PS1 version of 5, 6 and 8, the PS3 version of 13 the PS4 versions of 7, 9, 10 and 12 and as for 15 well if you only have the base systems i would say PS4 but if you have the high end systems then XB1X

kyleforrester87

Yeaaaah just figured out how to use Espers properly on FF6. Pretty sure I got to end of the game last time I played this without using an Esper at all :s But i wonder if that is even possible? It was 17-18 years ago and playing the game again now I've realised I have forgotten absolutely tons of it..

But today I find out that not only can I use Espers by pressing up from the Magic menu (I feel dumb, I'm used to summons having their own menu), I can equip non-magic using characters with Espers to learn abilities for them. I like it!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

OK so i'm loving Dissidia NT BUT the story mode battles are cheap as hell, the summon boss battles are so difficult, you get 3 hits and that's it game over BUT they have HUGE amounts of HP but get this, you can't do HP attacks on them unless they are stunned so not only do you have to fight a boss that is at least Platinum level difficulty (or Very Hard for those who haven't played it) BUT you can't do HP attacks unless it is stunned and your Brave attacks do eff all damage but they can break you in 2 hits, HOW IS THAT FAIR

then there are the normal story fights where the difficulty level ramps up so fast The Flash wouldn't even be able to keep up AND you have to get 3 KO's to win BUT if you get 3 in your team it's game over BUT your AI partners count when they get KO'd so your fighting to survive against Platinum level enemies you can't hit because they dodge every damn attack you throw at them but they knock out your AI partners and you lose the match even if the character your playing as was never KO's you still lose

Square REALLY need to patch the story mode battles because they are just broken

sorry i ranted a bit there but the thing is the game is really good but that Story mode needs fixing badly, think of it this way it's like playing Devil May Cry on normal then for no reason half way through a level it just switches to Dante Must Die mode and you can't do a thing to change it

mookysam

Speaking of Dissidia I still have duodecim in my backlog. I bought it when it was released. 😂 The release of NT has inspired me to maybe finally play it sometime this year.

@kyleforrester87 Equipping espers to increase stats is a nice feature. Giving each character one is useful and just gives the player more freedom in shaping the team. You can really see where they went from that in future titles in the series. i Iike that the battle system is a bit more interactive than other turn-based RPGs. My favourite special ability is Edgar's chainsaw!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

johncalmc

I played World of Final Fantasy to death and I can confirm that it is pretty good and I liked it. The writing is kinda lame and the attempts at humour are so bad that I can't tell if it's bad writing or if the writer is subversively mocking their own game, but I like having a menu battle system in a Final Fantasy game (!) and there's loads of sweet nods to the series as a whole. Good.

johncalmc

Twitter:

johncalmc

@kyleforrester87 I guess it kinda depends what you want. It's a bit like Pokemon. And that's cool and all because who doesn't enjoy collecting loads of little monsters. But story-wise it's not exactly anything special. And the battle system isn't too challenging. I liked it, because it was a light hearted Final Fantasy game with lots of nods to games I love. If you're expecting Final Fantasy IX with collectable monsters though, you'll be gutted.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 At first I was pretty lukewarm about WOFF, but by the end I really enjoyed it. Could've done without the stacking, but all in all it was a really great globetrotting adventure. Also the ending is fantastic .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic