Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 2,111

JohnnyShoulder

It was in a sale on psn not too long ago, but you shouldn't have to wait too long for it to be in another sale.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Bonbonetti

@LuckyLand I can fully sympathize with you. People have patience for different things in games. Although I've never actually finished a Souls-Borne game, I have played them all, courtesy of my friends being fans of these kinds of games. Turning them into default "party games " (at my objection).

I will say that Bloodborne is the least frustrating of the Souls-Borne games in my own experience, mainly because the combat is much faster and more fluid. I didn't feel the same frustration as when I played a Souls game, where the gamepace was always a big issue for me. So if you are curious about these kind of games, Bloodborne is a good game to experiment with.

There is one Souls-like game I actually did enjoy and even ended up finishing, called 'The Surge'. It could very well be because I like Sci-fi much more than Fantasy, but regardless, I really enjoyed that game. I've tried Nioh as well, but found that game to be even harder and more frustrating than the Souls-Borne games.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

Th3solution

I have never played any of the Tales JRPGs, despite liking the genre. Anyone who has played these - first, how highly would you recommend them? And how good are they as compared to say, Final Fantasy games, or Persona games as a series? And, which game is the best to start with? If I’m not mistaken, it looks like they aren’t related directly, but rather share a common system and themes like those other series. Tales of Berseria is the one that has me the most curious. Not sure if I’m ready to invest in starting a new series, but I was just wondering if anyone likes these. I don’t hear much chatter about them, despite them being highly rated amongst critics.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Spinedestroyer12

1Spinedestroyer1212:15pm

Hi guys
I just finished persona 5 and ni no kuni 2, so i am planning to buy new jrpg game
I am thinking about KH 1.5 + 2.5, Hack GU LC, FF XII, and FF XV
Which game i should play first?? Or you have different suggestion?
Thanks for replying

Spinedestroyer12

Jaz007

@Spinedestroyer12 I loved FFXV. It has one of the best stories I’ve seen in a game. It does amazing at developing the main group of characters in a coming of age take. The combats good stuff too. My only real problem is that the side-quests could be better.
A lot of people hates the story, but I done see why. Some things could have been better introduced which can feel slightly confusing, but it’s told very well. Get the Royal Edition though, it’s the better deal.

Jaz007

NecuVise

@Jaz007 Are optional quests mandatory in a way that you need them to level up your character/s in order to proceed with the story?

NecuVise

Jaz007

@NecuVise You should be fine. The only ones which really come as mandatory in that sense are the hunting quests, and those aren’t bad. It’s just really fetch quests for this or that. Some you’ll want to upgrade the regalia. But it’s enough or bad enough to be a problem. I didn’t do that many side-quests. If anything I over prepared for he end of the game. I also never died while playing, which is a good thing as I’ve never had a similar game provide and uninterrupted experience line that before. So at worst maybe you’ll die once or twice.

Jaz007

NecuVise

@Jaz007 thanks for your reply, I'll probably give it a chance.

NecuVise

tatsumi

@Jaz007 While the story at its essence is great, the story-telling is lacking. There are also a few gaps here and there. But SE is releasing more story content this and next year, so I am still going to wait until I re-play the game. I also love the story, it is one of the best storylines in a FF game, if the team just had more time to work on the actual story telling after Nomuras time-wasting.

Edited on by Tasuki

tatsumi

Kidfried

Should I buy or not buy Rise of the Tomb Raider now it's in sale?

I'm kind of deciding on skipping the game or buying it now it's so cheap. I enjoyed the reboot a lot, but that were mostly the tomb parts, shooting with the bow and exploration. I didn't care about the guns and story at all.

Do you think I will enjoy Rise? Does it improve a lot on Tomb Raider 2013?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Basically what @KratosMD says. There's a much better balance in Rise, between the action-y Uncharted-esque parts (which are still there, but never seem to outstay their welcome, except during the big finale) and the actual raiding of tombs and solving of puzzles and whatnot.

Better yet, the main menu has tons of options for returning to the exploration sections and optional tombs and just having a wander around, and the Croft Manor DLC makes for a rather lovely, hour-long walking simulator (and I know you like that kinda stuff). It feels a step closer to "classic" Lara which, as the middle part of her origin story, makes a lot of sense in context.

Oh, and if you liked the bow before, then you might not even mind some of the combat sections, as there's lots of cool new uses and ammo types for it, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger @KratosMD That's all pretty convincing, sounds like something I will enjoy indeed.

It's a hard decision between this one or one of the many 2017 game I also still need to catch up on (Persona, Nier, Lost Legacy), but I'm somewhat more confident about choosing Lara now.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m a little late, but I’ll chime in — I definitely liked Rise of the TR. I think the story is weaker than the first reboot game, but personally the gameplay was just as good. It does drag on a little bit long toward the end I think, and with all the DLC that’s included it is quite a lot of game there. I only played 2/5 of the DLC and was ready to move on. For some reason I read a lot of people on here that say they didn’t like it, despite liking the first, but in my experience it was great. Maybe not quite as transcendent as the first, but in many ways it’s a deeper game. I think you’ll quite like it.
But ....
The other games on your list are mint as well. I have been pretty vocal about my love for Nier Automata. That game does some fascinating things I’ve never seen a game do. Lost Legacy is fantastic, especially if you like Uncharted. It’s much shorter than Rise of the TR, but probably a more polished overall game, but more linear and with that characteristic Naughty Dog strong story. I thoroughly enjoyed both. And last but not least, Persona 5. The only one on your list that doesn’t have a strong female protagonist; Push Square editor’s GOTY last year. A worthy entrant as well, but I will have a hard time fully endorsing it because I have yet to finish it. Caught up sometime in the middle of the students school year during the 3rd palace dungeon, I got side-tracked and never finished. The game oozes with style though, and some of the best art direction I’ve seen in a game. It is completely different style-wise than the other 3 — turn based combat, sprawling sim of time management and relationship building when you’re not in the dungeons. I’m sure you know all this.
Don’t forget AC Origins too, which I’ve been considering starting up soon as well. But I might wait for you since I have tons of other backlog too.
I would recommend TR first (given Shadow is coming soon and Rise is so cheap) then Nier to put some distance between the adventure 3rd person shooters, then LL then P5. (With ACO mixed in somewhere.) But with all these excellent titles, you really can’t go wrong.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Can you organise my future gaming too please?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

@Th3solution You're not late. That was great actually. I'll probably even follow up on that advice fully. Thanks for chiming in!

I'll start Tomb Raider as soon as I'm done with Yakuza 0. I'm nearing the end of the story now, though there is of course still a lot of side stuff and minigames to do in there.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Sure thing! I’m good at organizing other people’s lives. Just don’t look at how incredibly chaotic and disheveled my own life is! Lol.
Nah, but it was unusual that all those games he was considering were ones I actually played. I feel like I’ve gotten so far behind in my own gaming that it was rare that I actually have experience with a bunch of games that someone else doesn’t have. Most people on here are typically much more qualified for give recommendations. 😜

@Kidfried Yakuza 0 is one of the games I’m going to start this week I think. I’ve been traveling and then swamped at work and whatnot and finally will have a little more time this week and I am going to put Bloodborne out of its misery. I slayed MWN on Monday night finally. For as easy of a boss it was supposed to be, I actually struggled with it. Kept getting to the last sliver of its health and then I would do something stupid and go down. But I have to say MWN was my favorite boss as far as character design. Very cool looking.
Anyway, I’m interested to hear how you like Lara Croft’s adventure.

Kidfried

@Th3solution Bloodborne is such a great game, because different people struggle with different parts of the game. The game requires different strategies (or skills) at different moments.

I was talking with my dad about The Witness this weekend. I had recommended the game to him, he even enjoyed it so much that he finished it two times already. And we were discussing what part we found most difficult, but we had completely opposite experiences as to where we struggled. It's a sign of brilliant game design when people can come away from a game with totally different experiences like that. Same goes for Bloodborne.

Mergo's Wet Nurse, as well as the final bosses, were pretty much my favorite bosses in the game. From their design to the gameplay. Enjoy the last part of the game, as I think it's the perfect climax.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Mergo's Wet Nurse, the baby crying was so unnerving.

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried @Th3solution My experience of Bloodborne: Poor man's Nightmare Creatures... lol

I jest - nice enough game, I just fiercely detest all of the back-tacking.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic