Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 521 to 540 of 614

kyleforrester87

@Octane nah it won't make a difference exactly, it's just MGS5 is different enough that you'll not be getting that classic MGS experience.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KratosMD

@Octane Starting the series on MGS 5 is probably not the best idea since the series is so heavy on the narrative. It's also the sequel to MGS 3, Portable Ops and Peace Walker so you'd be missing out on a lot of story. Not to mention being less familiarised with the universe by not playing e.g. MGS 1 and 2 beforehand.

I've only played MGS 1-3 and I wouldn't dare to touch MGS 5 until I've at least played Peace Walker, skimmed through the story of Portable Ops and maybe also MGS 4 (and possibly also MGRR for Raiden) just to be familiar with the gameplay of a recent MGS game.

I mean the obviousness in playing the games later is that you'd be missing out on a lot of initial reactions to the plot and characters in MGS 5 since you have no prior knowledge of the series.

But I don't know, people constantly say that the story in MGS 5 is incomplete anyway so maybe you should just go for it. I love the franchise too much to not go through each game carefully before reaching the conclusion.

"To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly"
"They fail to live because they are always preparing to live" - Alan Watts
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Octane

Hah, that's the thing. One says it's no problem, another one tells me I have to play the other games first. Meanwhile I'm sat here pondering about what to do and I'll never play them at this rate. I should just go for it I guess, with the knowledge that it doesn't play like the other MGS games. And if the story is confusing either way, I guess it doesn't really matter in what order I'll play them.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane IMO just go for it, as I say bear in mind that it's not really MGS in the way 1-4 is but story wise I can't really see it being a problem. You might miss out on some stuff but to be honest the story is obtuse as hell anyway. As for 1-4 it's best to play in order really.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

KratosMD

@Octane Well I'm the kind of person who prefers story over gameplay so even though MGS 5 offers more in terms of gameplay than story, I'd still see it as a game that I have to wait to play until I've finished the prior ones. So it really depends on what your preference is like in this case.

Worth mentioning though is that there is some backstory to a previous game (I believe it is Peace Walker?) which came right before Ground Zeroes, and this is included in the Definitive Edition, so maybe you can check that out before starting the other two games. It's better than nothing if you're not going to play the other games anyway.

Edited on by KratosMD

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Octane

@KratosMD I think I'll will play the other games eventually. But setting up an emulator or finding an old PS1 console is more of a hassle than just buying MGSV and playing it now. And I'm looking for something to play, and it's either MGSV (thanks to quite a lot of recommendations) or the Tomb Raider games. And hey, having playing MGSV is at least better than not having played any of them I guess!

Octane

kyleforrester87

I don't really need to play or watch things in order, aside from like serialised TV shows. But I'm pretty happy playing games out of order and watching films out of order. They are generally designed to be enjoyable as individual products and yeah you might miss out on some inside details but you'll usually pick up on those when you play/watch the previous installments. MGS is so all over the place anyway you need to play the games several times to try to make sense of everything.

kyleforrester87

Wesker

I still think MGS4 is the best in the series and I gave up on all the other ones. As Kyle says, they are designed to be enjoyable as individual products!

Wesker

KratosMD

@Octane The Tomb Raider games are very good, I highly recommend playing them. The first one especially blew me away how good it was. I thought that it would be another Uncharted clone but the gameplay is actually more fun and varied than Uncharted and the story is really good with a lot of different and interesting characters. The second game, while not as good as the first one, still provides an enjoyable experience.

If I were to recommend playing MGS or TR right now, I'd say TR. Maybe some MGS collection for PS4 will be announced in the meanwhile.

Th3solution

@Octane If you’re in the mood for excellent stealth and infiltration, some 3rd person shooting with a decent variety of weapons and explosives, and some base building and creating your own personal army - then play MGS5. If you’re more in the mood for platforming/climbing, exploring and treasure hunting, some light puzzles, and 3rd person shooting with a more limited arsenal but also a bow and arrow - then that’s TR. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either one. Both series are among my favorites. TR has the advantage that the early games from PS1 and 2 era are not really that integral as far as plot since the new ones are prequels when Lara is younger. It is cool to see the difference between the young, naive, and inexperienced Lara vs. the older, seasoned, and unemotional Lara from the older games.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Rudy_Manchego

I played MGSV without having played a MGSV game since PS2 era and was fine. Gameplay was ace, story not great anyway.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

I played TPP having played the previous games and was still left baffled by the story. So just go for it. Personally it didn't click with me and the the first MGS on ps1 is probs my fave game ever. I was playing it when I playing Bow though so maybe it was just at the wrong time for me.
Finished SotC too, brilliant game but I now feel similar when I finished Bow like there is a big hole in hole in my life. 😞

JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

So I'm really having a hard time deciding which two games (out of four) that I want to buy since they are all on a "Buy two games for €15 each" sale. The ones I want to choose between are:

Mad Max
Shadow of Mordor: GOTY Edition
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
The Surge

Honestly, I would say that I'd prefer to buy the ones that haven't been at the €15 price level before (like The Surge), but right now I'd rather buy two games that I'm more inclined to play as soon as I get them. I chose these ones since I'm really into an open world craving after playing BotW.

What do you guys think?

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I played em all except Mad Max, so I'd say Mad Max, although I'm sure it isn't that great. But I do love the Mad Max world. But I love the LOTR world too, and SOM sucked in my opinion. Like really sucked.

I say I played them, I didn't get very far, because they are all a bit meh. Sleeping Dogs was okay I guess, just normal open world stuff though. It's often under a tenner on sale on its own.

The Surge has a demo you could try.

Honestly, I think save your money.

kyleforrester87

johncalmc

@KratosMD I recently played Sleeping Dogs for the second time and it's actually pretty good. I hated Shadow of Mordor and haven't played the others.

johncalmc

Twitter:

KratosMD

@kyleforrester87 Mad Max interests me solely because of the open world nature and because of its universe. I have no knowledge whatsoever about the universe so maybe that would be a good incentive to make this game my first entry into the franchise.

Surprised that you thought SoM sucked since I've heard a lot of people praise it. What aspect of it sucked according to you? I mean, I'm not a fan of LOTR and I have no knowledge of this franchise either so maybe that could be the same reason as for Mad Max to why I should play this game.

Thing is with Sleeping Dogs is that I really want to play a fun open world game that is like GTA since it's been awhile since I've played those kinds of games. I don't really mind paying €15 for it as long as I get a fun time out of it.

I played the demo of The Surge and I did like it a lot. But as I said, I need to choose two games so I'm wondering which two would be the best pick since I haven't played the other three at all.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD SOM started good, as in the first 10-15 minutes. Then you get chucked into this utterly drab open world doing standard drab open world things and after 2 hours I deleted it. Despite my love for Mad Max I'm worried the game will be similar, with them both being WB games. But then maybe you like the WB formula given your recent enjoyment with Batman. I wasn't a huge fan of those games either, aside from Asylum.

I'd honestly like an epic LOTR game in the same "wide linear" form that they seem to be doing with God of War.

Untitled

shudders

kyleforrester87

Rudy_Manchego

I liked SOM purely because of the Nemesis system. It's basically a poor mans Assassins Creed with a good central fighting mechanic. It is more fun to build up the orcs and then build your followers then all the samey side missions and icon chasing.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic