Forums

Topic: Nier: Automata

Posts 201 to 220 of 313

NecuVise

@kyleforrester87 let's just say they are off putting to me and leave it like that that skirt part is especially off putting. I tried to find information on the internet but seems like you cannot put anything decent on them until you beat the game first :/

NecuVise

NecuVise

@kyleforrester87 yes I do haha. I don't watch the Olympics at all. But we are spamming here so let's stop before moderators purge us

NecuVise

kyleforrester87

@NecuVise not really, we're discussing the outfits in the game, but yes it's all good I can appreciate if they put you off. In my opinion it's a bit of a shame if that's the only reason you arnt playing the game though, but that's entirely your choice of course!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BranJ0

@NecuVise Don't be put off by the overly sexulised art online if that's your worry, it really isn't all that revealing, and they look awesome! If you're worried about it, download the demo, and hopefully that'll convince you to look past the outfits and just buy this amazing game!

BranJ0

NecuVise

@BranJ0 I haven't been aware that there's a demo for this game. I'll give it a try.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@NecuVise Yeah, I have a special place in my heart for Nier Automata. Actually for me, the game mimicked what I am experiencing with Bloodborne. Not that the two games are in any way similar, other than very satisfying combat, but both for me were games I just could not quite get excited enough to play and only played because of people continually praising them here and elsewhere. In both cases I had to stick with the game through the early hours to get over the hump where it became addictive. Both games are now in my top 5-10 PS4 games probably (still working on BB obviously)

I personally didn’t care for the Nier Automata demo, and it nearly convinced me not to buy the game. It does give you a flavor of the combat and the main characters and the setting, and in that regard it is useful to try. But the game really shines with its story and thought provoking messages and unique approach.
If you’re concerned about the outfits (I assume you mainly refer to the female android ones like 2B) then I can respect that. But I will say that the actual characters are not sexually charged at all. In fact 2B’s personality is actually extremely stiff and business like. There is a lot more sexuality in other M rated games. For example, if you were comfortable with the fan service from MGS4 and MGS5, then Nier Automata has a lot less innuendo than those.
But, in the end, you will have to look at 2B throughout the game, as she is the protagonist, so you’ll have to decide. Personally I think the character design is awesome. The 2B outfit is my favorite one to have Kat wear in Gravity Rush 2! 😋

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NecuVise

I ha e tried the demo and that costume is still off putting but it's not as pronounced when you're playing as it's when you are watching on YouTube. But on the other hand I haven't enjoyed the game that much and don't have that desire to play it further on.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@NecuVise Different strokes for different folks, so no worries, it isn’t for everyone. Glad you tried it though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NecuVise

That's for pointing me to it, it really helped. I can see the appeal for this game, and it has its charms but it didn't click for me. Maybe I'll try it sometime again in the future and my opinion can change. I don't hold my opinion as set in stone. After all, I strongly disliked soulslike games and now I adore them

NecuVise

Th3solution

@crimsontadpoles The ending is where it really sets itself on another level, imo. It definitely takes some effort to do all the main routes, but at the end I felt very rewarded. Glad to see there is still a slow burn of interest in the game, because it is one of my favorites.

Ralizah

I really need to get around to this. I love what I've heard of the soundtrack, and I thought the demo was good fun (although apparently it turns into more of an open world game?).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah Yeah, the main part of the game is much more open world but goes linear in the story heavy sections but not normally for very long. I only picked it up this year when it finally came down in price on PSN.

Thrillho

Ralizah

So I finally booted up NieR: Automata tonight and spent... oh, about 5 1/2 hours playing it in one go. It's definitely compulsively playable, if nothing else. The open world aspects suck, though. The game has the most barren, samey, needlessly large world I've encountered in a video game. Combine that with an apparent lack of a fast travel system (!) and I don't see myself doing too many of these side-quests. It just takes too much time trying to go between different locations. Also, the game's environments are supremely non-interactive. Try jumping on objects you see or running through entrances in random buildings and you're quickly greeted with invisible walls everywhere. What's the point of an open game that doesn't let you explore stuff the way you want? You can't even jump off a lot of platforms without encountering the fore-mentioned walls.

The controls and combat are decent enough. Not nearly as satisfying as Ys VIII in this regard, but at least the game isn't constantly scoring my combat encounters like in Bayonetta. I do like that you can mix up different types of weapons (I'm currently rocking the starter sword for my weak attack and some sort of spear I found for my strong attack).

On the plus side, the music is above average so far, the world-building and dialogue are pretty interesting (thankfully, with humorous writing peppered throughout), and I like the chip system a lot, which seems to allow you to go for more offensive or defensive builds.

I feel like a jerk for slaughtering most of these robots, by the way, but I guess that's the point. The game doesn't even seem to be hiding the fact that they likely possess genuine emotion in addition to clear signs of reflective awareness , and perhaps might even be transformed humans.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah yeah the side quests are nothing to write home about and the open world is "meh" but it's pretty small really and you can move around super quick. Just push along with the story to be honest.

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Ehh they are okay, i enjoyed a few of them because I liked the game so much, but lets be honest they are nothing we've not seen before.

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @KratosMD Yeah, the highlight is the main story line but there were some good side quests. The whole idea of the self-awareness and ascendency of the robots led to some interesting side stories. But it was hit-or-miss on some of them. The Japanese style quirkiness was present in full force as well, which is an acquired taste, I realize. But @Ralizah , I would agree if you don’t care for the side quests too much then push on with the story. You’ll actually have a surprisingly large amount to do with the story and it is probably best to save some side quests for the second playthrough.
As far as fast travel, yes, you’ll be able to use it eventually, but you gotta admit, this is the best sprinting of any game I have ever played. The animation and the feel of 2B when you sprint is so satisfying, as she starts running faster and faster and faster. The building of speed is a great sprint mechanic that I wish more games had and she can cover a lot of ground in no time. (So much so that it negates any advantage of riding the animals, since running is actually faster) Of course, I guess being an android is what makes that feasible. But yeah, 2B is my absolute favorite character to play as, from a control standpoint, just because of how quick and responsive she plays and how fluidly she moves in general. Aloy is probably second. ...This being said before I’ve played Spider-Man which looks like he will probably compete for top spot in that category as well.
But most of your critique of the “open world” is true. I don’t consider it a great achievement in open world design either. And the barren world, of course adds to the narrative and post-apocalyptic feeling. Maybe that’s giving the developer undue credit (we had some discussion about BotW recently where the open emptyiness of the world was both criticized by some and lauded by some as adding to the intentional feel the developers intended as an actual gameplay device) but I do think that in the setting where civilization is gone and the world inhabited by robots and in various states of decay that there is a legitimate intention to give a feeling of barrenness. When fast travel opens, it is also narratively clever in how it occurs and it makes sense within the world, unlike other games where it is just “I’m magically transported from this campfire to this other one in the blink of an eye and I’ll jusr suspend disbelief because I want to get there quick”. The lack of interactiveness with the environment is also a legitimate complaint, but I think the game is devoted more to the narrative and the unique way it wants to roll that out and wants to push you forward toward that end, rather than have you exploring, climbing, and discovering random interests that detract from that.
But it’s very interesting to read your thoughts and impressions! I’m really curious to hear more as the game (and specifically the story) just gets better and better, in my opinion. Keep ‘em coming! 😁

Edited on by Th3solution

crimsontadpoles

That Jean Paul side quest early on in the game put me off of playing this for a little while. It was such a tedious quest that required going back and forth across most of the map, and annoyingly it's available before it's revealed that the game has Fast Travel.

Some of the side quests are much better than others, and there are some great ones in the game. The main storyline is way more brilliant than the side quests.

Thrillho

@Ralizah I had the same annoyance over lack of fast travel. Push on with the main story a bit and it won't be such a problem...

Thrillho

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.