Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,795

Kidfried

@Ralizah well, it's only the localization, right? So it's the western arm of PlayStation, which has a history of not tolerating this crap.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried In fact, it has "tolerated this crap" until now. Sony has only begun getting censorious recently. Shinovi Versus, the rhythm game, Estival Versus, and presumably Peace Beach Splash were all completely uncensored, and there were no problems with their localizations.

Anyway, censorship never just stops with stuff you don't like. It always wants to overextend, and, eventually, it'll start affecting things you actually care about.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah Sure, but I mean recent history. We've seen it with other games on PS4 and Vita, so I wasn't surprised.

Also, I don't know if I agree with your wording. I think "don't like" is putting it super mild.

I "don't like" when in JRPGs like Xenoblade girls wear these superskimpy clothes, but that doesn't mean I want platform owners to ban or censor it.

This is something different.

Kidfried

Ralizah

The devs of the new Toejam and Earl indicated on twitter that Sony also wanted them to censor something in their game. I'm curious to hear what that's about.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

From what I've seen of the game, it's rather... tasteless... However, I don't agree with censoring it. To each their own, right? Everyone can (or should be able to) make their own decisions about what they want to play.

Octane

Th3solution

So what is the protocol that PS4 uses when downloading an update file for a game? Sometimes when I turn on my PS4, it will start auto-updating a random game I never play ( like Fortnite) yet not update a game I’m playing currently and regularly (like Tomb Raider), until I launch the game.
I would have thought the system will recognize the games being played recently and update those automatically and the ones that haven’t been launched in an age will be left un-updated until they are played. It doesn’t seem to follow this logic all the time. Anyone else notice this?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Th3solution The auto-updates not working drives me nuts. I wanna say (without confidence) on PS3 it was based if was such and such in your last played games. Which was absolutely bogus because on the PS3 auto-updates are part of Plus, a paid service, so they need to work as advertised. If there’s an update, it gets downloaded. Simple as that.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 I guess I’m not the only one then. Yeah, I would have expected the updates to be automatic, but sometimes they are and sometimes they’re not. It’s hit-or-miss. It would have been nice if the PS4 would have updated the game I’m actually playing so I don’t have to wait for that, other than updating a game I haven’t played in months.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @Jaz007 Yep I've noticed this as well. When Forsaken for Destiny 2 was being rolled out I left my console on Rest mode for a few days so that the update would download, as I knew it was going to be quite big. No updates for D2 were installed but for other games they did.

The update file only started downloading when I next fired up the game. Then I was getting an error message saying that I need more space for the update, even though I have more than enough space as I deleted/move stuff purposely for the update. It would have only take an hour to download, but as I wanted to play something on my PS4 as soon as I started a game the time got a lot longer. Really annoying cos I had hyped myself up bit to play D2 with he new update.

I'm not sure if it focuses on games you don't play as I was still receiving updates for games I was playing. Maybe It is decided by the developer and the game and the update on how this works?

Games like Fortnite and H1Z1 I deleted off my console due to the constant updates. I was keeping just incase I wanted to play them, but in reality I probably was never going to and the updates were getting on my nerves a bit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Same here. I've gotten into the habit of manually checking for patches before starting any game, and on games where I know there's gonna be regular updates (like Star Wars: Battlefront II and Star Trek Online) even if the console didn't automatically detect them. Press the Options button and then select "Check for Updates".

I'm not sure it has anything to do with frequency of play; it seems to be random. I found the latest Shadow of the Tomb Raider patches manually, and yet the only game which regularly auto-detects patches upon logging in is No Man's Sky, something I haven't touched in almost a year.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Good idea, but you shouldn't have to do manually check for updates if you have Automatic Updates set to 'On'. That is like totally the point of having that option there.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Absolutely agree; it's just a self-defence mechanism I've had to teach myself, because I was getting fed up of making a cup of tea, popping a disc into my console, settling down for a nice evening's gaming and then having to read the news on my phone for an hour whilst a large, previously-hidden patch downloaded and installed itself.

Because the auto-update feature seems quite scattershot, it's better to be safe than... well, than drinking cold tea after having read one too many articles about Brexit.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I feel this will be the next internet outrage against Sony.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder We need to think ahead for when they're awesome and fix it.

The shade of blue they use is offensive to Smurfs, or something.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I totally agree. The Sony blue is blatant anti-Smurfism.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution And don't look at Sonic, either.

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

NecuVise

I just realized that you NEED to have an active psplus subscription to have autodownloads in rest mode! What year is this, 2008? I hope Sony removes this atrocious requirement as I really see no sense in it. I'd also like to see removing of psplus requirement for online saves. In this day and age it should be free.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@beemo That’s pretty unfortunate.
Don’t throw away your PS3s, people. Apparently Sony can’t figure out a way to play them on any other format.

Edited on by Th3solution

Jaz007

I'm curious, does a PS Plus account work for online MP across the whole system, or only for the account that has it?

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic