Forums

Topic: 2016, what a slow / boring summer for gaming!!!

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

sub12

I found myself burning off the 2016 summer months with mostly retro games and occasionally replaying DOOM or a quick match of Rocket League (at least when I felt like gaming in general). I honestly can't remember a time frame in which my PS4 gathered this much dust.

Just curious, but did anybody else find this 2016 summer slower than usual? What did you play?, if anything. With that being said, I think things will pick up this month with KOF 14, Strike Vector EX, and Nuka World for Fallout 4.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

Tasuki

Summers always been a slow month gaming wise especially late summer. At this point developers and gearing up for the holiday season.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

sub12

@Tasuki:

For sure, but this summer has sticked out in particular for me. Maybe because what was available / or hyped.......Hyper Light, Abzu, No Man's Sky.......they just aren't games that appeal to me at all.

sub12

ShogunRok

I kind of agree - something about this summer in particular has been very lax in terms of new releases that I'm personally interested in. I've obviously played a few games for review, but I find myself going back to old favourites like Fallout 4 and Destiny once I'm finished.

Likewise, speaking purely as someone who covers PlayStation news, I can safely say that the last few months have indeed been very slow. Relatively speaking, obviously. I'm sure things will pick up once we get into September, etc.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Churchy

I swear I read this every year.

In all honesty, I don't really agree. There are summers that have been a lot slower, but these things often come down to personal taste.

For me we've had

• SteamWorld Heist release on PS4 and other platforms
  • Zero Time Dilemma
  • Furi
  • Grow Up

And then on top of that, regardless of perception of quality we've had a new Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge and No Man's Sky. Whilst the latter has inspired many heated reactions, there's no denying that things have been interesting on that release!

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

Octane

Not really in terms of big releases, but this has been arguably the best summer for indie games (I may even argue the best year!).

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

I do wish that games were spread throughout the year - the fall and winter is going to mean that I can't afford all the cool stuff coming out.

Then again, it is a business and there are reasons for the sales cycles. Also, the lull period has meant some great sale titles and I've still not got through my backlog. Still got Soma, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Kholat on my PS4 and I working my way through Metro Redux. Also my Vita has got a lot of love of late.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Tasuki

That's what I mainly do during this lull period work on my backlog. Right now I am currently working on Borderlands 2.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Bread-Not-Toast

I didn't thought it was too bad, we've had some pretty big games released over the past couple of months.

PSN- Crossword-Man
3DS Friend Code- 3067-6402-2163
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKk-kKUlvYeZSW2XbVrsqQ
Latest Review: Star Wars Battlefront Beta
Please add me as I need more friends.

PSN: Crossword-Man

kyleforrester87

Three great games that have kept (and are keeping me) entertained this summer: Deus Ex, Hyper Light Drifter and No Mans Sky. All great games IMO.

Aside from that, some releases like I Am Setsuna have kept me entertained. And then some backlog games, such as Dirt Rally.

Been a great year for gaming overall I reckon!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Quintumply

It obviously depends on what type of games you're into. I'm willing to give almost anything a try, and there have been some cracking indies over the last couple of months, as well as some bigger titles too. A lot of games have already been mentioned, so I won't bother writing out another list (though I will mention Dangerous Golf, Overcooked and Worms WMD as more indie titles that are worth a look), but I actually think this summer has been pretty strong. I remember far quieter summers than this one.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

daveofduncan

No man's sky for me, the odd demo and beta have kept me going too. Jumped into fifa very late this year also so that's taken up a good chunk of it. There's definitely been a lot to play and do for me personally though.

In need of a new friend's list. Apply within!

PSN: borntodave

JaxonH

glances up from Monster Hunter...

looks around, shrugs

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

WanderingBullet

Only been playing Overwatch since its release back in May. Pre-ordered Grand Kingdom Limited Edition but the game's box (packaging) was in really poor condition so I had to return it and asked for replacement but it was already out of stock at the time so Amazon refunded me instead. Thinking of re-ordering it but October is packed with a lot of good and promising games, though.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

BAMozzy

For me its been a very quiet year. Uncharted 4 was the only game that so far has really appealed. Since then, I have not bought another game or been tempted by the releases - October has the next release I am buying. At least its enabled me to save some money towards the 'Neo' when that finally releases....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

I don't know how many time people have on their hands who write topics like these. In my friend circle I am the one who games the most and I can't even keep up with all the releases. I agree that this summer was a bit slow, but there were than enough releases this year alone to keep me busy. I still have a list of twenty games that I still have to buy, so enough games for me.

Kidfried

usb

I have had no issues with gaming this summer. Picked up Star Wars Battlefront for £10 and thats been a lot of fun. Carried on playing ESO, 7 Days to Die, Battleborne, Uncharted 4, The Division, Sphere of Influence. Depends what games you enjoy. I have never had any problems finding games to play either in PS Plus, back catalogue or newly released or sale games.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Speedy67

I think it's been a good summer for gaming, personally. We've got a lot of great indie releases and a new Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge and Worms games along with No Man's Sky, Grand Kingdom, Overwatch and DOOM among others.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.