Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 597

HallowMoonshadow

I believe Rudy_Manchego gave Cabela's Hunting Expeditions a pointless @Ralizah on the previous page

The rest are kyleforrester87's I believe

Oh and I love your picture by the way!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy So he did.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to the next bunch not mostly being borderline shovelware.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

@Ralizah

Dark souls, Dead or alive, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Crown, Dragon's Dogma... A bunch of stuff that actually sounds interesting to look up and stuff I've sunk hours into... D's a pretty good lineup 😀

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

I just gotta say, I’ve found the whole Cabela’s soap opera fascinating to observe from a distance 😂. Kudos to your team for grabbing the deer by the horns, so to speak, and taking each game seriously.
Although I’m not a hunter, I have extended family and many friends who really enjoy the hobby. It’s definitely a regional thing, but in sections of the U.S. it’s a part of life, so I try to respect that. Even if I don’t particularly enjoy hiking around in the woods in the cold, sleeping on the ground, and the worst part - the skinning and gutting after a successful kill. Anyways, fantastic job with a tough list guys and gals.
I do think the accessory gun that measures your heart rate and adjust the accuracy accordingly is a rather interesting idea, if not unfair. (Don’t drink an energy drink prior to playing 😜). I researched some games on our list with peripheral accessories and it’s just amazing how many PS3 games had these throw away ideas. I mean besides the PS4 VR stuff, this gen has significantly less of these random extras (thankfully).

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

@ZeD

Noooo don't jinx it!!!

The list seems fine to me

themcnoisy

@ZeD you ready to stamp that result in place Zed? If so post the final result in the main thread. Your team has done amazing you will get a boss list next time out.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@ZeD Tuesday night from here on in! Thank you bro.

kyleforrester87

@ZeD really sorry I hoped to have some time to look at it but I’ve been flat out decorating since I got out of bed! Just had a pizza on a dusty floor, bath and now bed. Same again tomorrow by the looks of it. And works been mad through the week.

If it can wait i’ll endeavour to get it done Monday?

Sorry for the let down, was worried it might happen.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@ZeD Yup. Funnily it's on Monday night when the laptop comes out and everything is updated so that's cool.

LieutenantFatman

@Ralizah
Ok I have an appeal!
Ok, so here are my thought on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and why it's important.

We have the legendary Castlevania series, one of the biggest names in video game history with a very strong attempt to reboot the series back in 2010 with the latest graphics, story telling and game play. I really feel they didn't hold much back here. They had several very well known voice actors including the amazing Patrick Stewart in a key role, and not just 60 seconds at the start of a game and then he's dead type of key role.

For game play they've taken inspiration from big blockbuster games such as SOTC, DMC, GoW, Uncharted etc as well as adding their own unique elements and tying them altogether nicely without being a poor imitation of any of its sums. Rather than just sticking to one genre, the developer bravely attempts to create its own unique blend and does so very competently.

The game requires you to fight with skill so that when you do succeed you feel like a badass vampire hunter. Button bashing won't cut it here, you need to time your moves well and use the best dark and light combos depending on the situation, as well as secondary weapons at your disposal, taking your enemies weaknesses into consideration.

The story feels fresh, giving the player so many exciting twists and turns, especially nearing the end of the game where the player is rewarded with so many answers to the questions that have been asked throughout. The art is great, with so many different areas to explore and fight in, each is very well realised.
The game isn't particularly groundbreaking though in terms of creating an entirely new way to play games and I do recall the camera being awkward on the very occasional climb segment thus I don't feel it quite deserves a very important placement. But important? Absolutely.

So there we have it, any thoughts? I'm happy to discuss it further if people want to, thanks.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Fight_Teza_Fight

Wrong thread.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@LieutenantFatman Just for some perspective — I helped to rate Lords of Shadow and I did actually play it. I did vote for it to be “existing” but I was on the fence to call it “important.”
From what I recall, it is rather iterative of the action adventure genre. As you say it wasn’t groundbreaking, per se. The Castlevania name carried it a little bit, but it lacked a bit of the soul of a Castlevania game, imo. But it was a decent game, heavily overshadowed by the God of War series at the time. I believe GoW 3 came out around the same time.
Like I said, I considered maybe putting it in “important” because although it didn’t set the world on fire, it was decent and it did lead to a sequel. Also Hideo Kojima at the helm has got to account to something 😉. But we had a fairly convincing case made by Mookysam that Lords of Shadow 2 was the superior game. It was open world, more polished, and wrapped up the story. I hadn’t played the sequel, so since I wasn’t convinced both games were all that Important, Lords 2 ended up being the important game and Lords 1 just existed to lead the way to the better more important sequel.
Depending how you think of it, the predecessor may be the more important of the two, but at least from someone who played both games, they say Lords 2 was more important (despite it having lower Metacritic scores, for whatever that’s worth).

I’m willing to live with either way. For a series that died off quickly, it does seem to me a stretch to call both games important, but perhaps that’s the case.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Fight_Sora_Fight Actually that’s my team, 404, that had those games too. I’ll respond in the other thread so I don’t muck up MTX who are looking at Lords of Shadow.

LieutenantFatman

@Th3solution
Well as you say yourself, the 2nd game wrapped up the story so is that really a series dying off? Worth keeping in mind as well, that Konami the publisher stopped making these sorts of games after LoS2 anyway, which like so many publishers is a business decision, many of them aren't so keen now on purely single player experiences, sadly.
The closest thing they pushed out after that was MGS5 on PS4 where the story was left unfinished. And personally I wouldn't agree that a game being open world makes it better, I think if all games strived for that, it would become tiresome very quickly.
Personally I see no problem with both LoS games being in the important category. It's something we will see in this process a great deal I have no doubt, with the most popular series having almost every game in very important.

LieutenantFatman

Th3solution

@LieutenantFatman Yeah, I agree that open world doesn’t necessarily make a game better. In fact I used the ‘Arkham Asylum led to Arkham City’ example that many would say the former more linear game is the more important one. But it’s the total package that I think escalated LoS 2 in our mind. Again, this is just going off other people’s experience since for me personally, LoS 1 didn’t garner enough interest in me to even play the second game. Not that it wasn’t a reasonably enjoyable jaunt, but at the time the sequel was partly a victim of being the end of a console generation; LoS 2 actually came out after the release of PS4, which was probably the kiss of death right there for any meaningful success.

And, as I say, I am fine with LoS 1 being “important” as I almost placed it there myself. I’m a big Kojima fan.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.