Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 597

LieutenantFatman

@Th3solution
Yes, I agree, releasing on old hardware definitely can't have done it any favours. But I digress, I've said my piece and your and your team have made some fair points as well. Happy to let the final judgement commence, haha.

LieutenantFatman

Th3solution

@LieutenantFatman Yes, perfectly logical reasoning on your part. I think you and I aren’t too far off on our opinions.
I believe your judge is @Ralizah so it will be him who has the final say to change the ranking or not. He can take a vote from your team or whatever method he chooses.
And I don’t mean to imply that I speak for my team — if @Jaz007 @themcnoisy @TowaHerschel7 @RogerRoger @Frigate have anything to contribute in the proposed escalation of Castlevania Lords of Shadow, then they can weigh in as well.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

leucocyte

@LieutenantFatman @Th3solution - i've played neither castlevania LoS game, but on metacritic, there is quite a substantial difference between the average for the first one (85 from 62 critics) and the second (63 from 55 critics). what gives?. purely on that circumstantial evidence, if you were going to rate one of them as important, it wouldn't be the second?.

leucocyte

Th3solution

@leucocyte Yeah, I noticed that as well, but the feeling of @mookysam who played both was that the second was superior and an under appreciated gem. I think the thought was it actually pushed gaming forward more and was artistically and narratively better, as well as improved gameplay. The first hand experience of a Push Square user pulled some weight there. The reviews if you look at them are quite varied. In fact a 4/10 was given by Edge and the game director, Alvarez, actually called them out about how ridiculous a score it was in his opinion.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@ZeD Agreed. Which is more important, the inaugural game of a series which sets a fresh, new tone or the second game which fine tunes the things the first game lacked? It’s highly subjective.

Ralizah

Depends on how much "fine-tuning" is involved, imo. If a second game radically influences the direction of a series going forward, I think it's inarguable that it's the more important game. You could say the second one relied on the first to even exist, but, then, going that route, you could trace a line of causality all the way back to the dawn of gaming.

I think it's best to look directly at public influence and game design and go from there.

Of course, the importance of either LoS game is pretty iffy to begin with. They radically changed an established series, but neither game saw humongous sales or influenced much of anything else, and the series seems to have died on the vine.

Anyway, the deadline is apparently soon, so I need to hear from as many people on the team as possible. I believe @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy already said she was OK with the appeal, so I need a "yea" or "nay" on the motion to elevate LoS to the category of "important" from other people.

10pm UK time is the deadline, right? That's 4pm where I live. At 3:30pm my time I'm voting, so if anyone wants to make their opinion heard, do it before then.

@ZeD @leucocyte @LieutenantFatman @Rudy_Manchego

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LieutenantFatman

I would be cautious going forward of labelling something as important to gaming based on the number of sequels. By that logic Portal isn't really worth mentioning, Okami is awful and the Army Men games are to be highly celebrated.
Similar caution for how well a game sells. It's amazing what a bit of advertising and a big name can do, just look at Fallout 76 and Anthem, they've sold pretty well considering what's on offer.

LieutenantFatman

HallowMoonshadow

I've only played four games of the lot this time around... And you can probably guess the first three quite easily as they've all got two word titles and the second/last word is the same on all of them 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LieutenantFatman

Ok, these are the games I've played in this list, although Diablo 3 and Destiny were on the PS4. Some incredible games in this list. As great as DMC is, as I recall this collection is just a simple upscale of the PS2 games.

Dark Souls From Software - very important
Dead or Alive 5 Team Ninja / Sega AM2 - existing
Dead Space EA Redwood Shores - very important
Dead Space 2 Visceral Games - very important
Dead Space 3 Visceral Games - exisiting
Demon's Souls From Software - very important
Destiny Bungie - not important
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Eidos Montréal - very important
Devil May Cry HD Collection Capcom - existing
Diablo III Blizzard Entertainment - very important
Dirt 3 Codemasters Birmingham - important

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

ZeD

@LieutenantFatman Can you add your scores the the "Scores" tab on the spreadsheet. 1-5, 1 being not important and 5 being very. 😊

These are mine;
Dark Void Airtight Games 2
de Blob 2 Blue Tongue Entertainment 2
Dead Island: Riptide Techland 2
Dead Space 3 Visceral Games 2
Darksiders Vigil Games 3
DC Universe Online Sony Online Entertainment 3
Dante's Inferno Visceral Games 4
Darksiders II Vigil Games 4
Dead Island Techland 4
Dead Rising 2 Blue Castle Games 4
Devil May Cry 4 Capcom 4
Dead Space EA Redwood Shores 5
Dead Space 2 Visceral Games 5

I have never played a Souls game. Do not see the big deal in them tbh plus I am not a fan of the difficulty being a gameplay feature.

Edited on by ZeD

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

LieutenantFatman

@ZeD
No problem, done. Yes, the reputation for difficulty on DS does put a lot of people off. They're generally not as hard as people make out though. Considerably easier and kinder than most retro games back in the day where there was no save facility and you had to start over once you were out of lives / continues. Not something I particularly miss!

LieutenantFatman

HallowMoonshadow

@LieutenantFatman

Looks like you got to ZeD before me ha ha

@ZeD 😵

To be honest I can understand your hesitation ZeD.

Demon's souls was my first souls game (Like three/four years after everyone else) ... And I actually restarted the game 5 times with like 5-10 hours to each attempt before trying again, not getting the game before the gameplay FINALLY clicked for me. (I maintain Demon's is the hardest of them all)

They are harder games don't get me wrong, but I think it's a bit overblown at HOW hard they are, especially when you can summon help from other players... even the npc summons in game can help you out immensely, even if to just take the heat off a boss whilst you heal up.

Of course they aren't for everyone, but I think it's a series everyone should try at least once if they can.

Coming from a person who's first metroidvania was Hollow Knight (Yup!... never played a Castlevania or metroid before til Hollow Knight back in January... Ironically has a Dark Souls feel to the story) there's always time to try new things 😊

Oh and here's my scores

Dark Souls From Software - 5 (Very Important)
Dark Souls II From Software - 3 (Existing)
Dead Rising 2 - 4 (Important) (I didn't see this was on our list at first!)
Demon's Souls From Software - 5 (Very Important)
Devil May Cry 4 Capcom - 3 (Existing)

For Dark Souls 2 I feel the Scholar Of The First Sin version for PS4 is a better version thanks to the remixed enemy placements (Even if sometimes it doesn't make as much thematic sense), the 60fps, the better lighting effects and the other small changes compared to the standard PS3 version which is why I've given it an existing rating

And as for Devil May Cry 4... I'm not too sure.

I didn't enjoy this entry that much and it ended up leading to DmC of all things... But then both of these led to Devil May Cry 5 being made? So it's a bit hard to say whether it should be classed as existing or maybe be labelled as important

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I tend to avoid games that have the description "rogue-like" and if any comments are "OMG, this game is un forgiving." I like to feel I make progress in a game. Not spend a few hours just be back where you started.

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

@ZeD

And I completely understand and respect your decision to do so! We all have our likes and dislikes... Would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinion on things

leucocyte

i've played 5 (and a half) of them.. but destiny and diablo III were on PS4.

initial thoughts:
Dark Sector - 3 (existing)
Dead Space - 4 (important)
Dead Space 2 - 5 (very important)
Dead Space 3 - 2 (not important)
Destiny - 5 (very important)
Diablo III - 4 (important)

leucocyte

Rudy_Manchego

OK team - quick rankings from me on the games i have played. I'm on holidays for a week from tomorrow so will dip in as and when internet connection allows.

Dark Souls From Software (Very Important)
Dead Island Techland (Important - why? I will mention it below).
Dead Rising 2 Blue Castle Games - existing
Dead Space EA Redwood Shores (very important)
Dead Space 2 Visceral Games (important)
Dead Space 3 Visceral Games (not important)
Demon's Souls From Software (very important)
Destiny Bungie (not important)
Devil May Cry HD Collection Capcom (not important)

My reasoning for Dead Island is less to do with the game and more to do with marketing. Dead Island, in my mind, had an amazing marketing campaign compared to the actual game and is probably better remembered for that then the game. This becamse quite a trend in the later years of last gen and a little this gen. Anyway, that's my thought.

Destiny for PS3 is in my mind, an afterthought and didn't get all the support the PS4 version did.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.