Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site.

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,116

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Tasuki It can't be easy. I just don't think there's any reason for anyone to open 5 threads in 5 minutes. Some restrictions would make your job easier as well.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

@antdickens Thanks !

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

I feel sorry for the moderators. The internet never sleeps.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Well done guys keep up the good work. 👍

My inbox was was full of the bleeding things.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

Yeah, what’s going on with all the spam? Is there a full moon or something? It’s like the world spamming association had a convention and recruited new members or something.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tasuki

@Th3solution Sadly it happens from time to time that we will get hit hard with a rash of spammers promoting a the same site or some b.s. like that.

To be honest I am not sure if it's like a group of people or an bunch of like infected PCs that decide to spam the site I am not 100% sure on how it works I just know that every once in awhile they come in like a flood.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Rudy_Manchego

Yeah but now I have no idea what to do about my crypto currency.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

Maybe some rule - like members must have posted 20 messages (not spam) with immediate termination of membership if these 20 don't conform to the site rules, been a member for a month, subscribed to PushSquares youtube and confirmed they like Taylor Swift before they can start a new thread...

Ok so the 'Taylor Swift' one maybe 1 step too far....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Jaz007

@BAMozzy I think we’re giving new users more completed laws than congress and politicians do at that point... It’s supped to be easy join the community lol.

Jaz007

Th3solution

Yeah, it’s a fine line between spammer and troll chaos which none of us want vs. creating a well-run but complex police state of requirements which runs the risk of restricting the community from growth of new users who can enjoy and contribute.
Personally, one of the things that convinced me to join and contribute was how organized things are and how stimulating and respectful (and at times, funny with good natured sarcasm) the discussion is among the users — yet I don’t think I actually studied the community rules prior to posting, I just lurked on the site reading the content long enough to know how the community is expected to behave. But I realize not all new users will be as prone to conscientious observation before posting.
I know many sites do have a period of time or number of comments that need to go by until some arbitrary ranking or categorization will escalate them from something like “new user” to “community member” and of course some have the elite level labels for long time users. I don’t think I would like a multi-tiered ranking system, but I would not be opposed to a simple probationary time frame or required activity level prior to full posting rights. I just don’t know if this would make your jobs easier or harder. It runs the risk of actually creating more work for you in moderating and promoting people to full status, and then also runs the risk of running off some people who would have become good contributors.
I don’t know... just some thoughts. And honestly, the spam is fairly rare but it just seems like it hit more in recent days, so maybe wholesale changes aren’t really needed.

Octane

@Th3solution Super users; removes the 140 character limit on posts and gives you access to comic sans and word art headliners for your own posts.

Octane

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @Octane Lol. Well, super-users would typically get a little badge or star by their icon, but I like where you’re thinking. I’m afraid Deputy moderating powers to super-users would create imminently more chaos than it would prevent. 😂

BAMozzy

@Jaz007 Joining the site would still be easy - but with the system I describe, it would stop people creating accounts just to spam new threads - they couldn't start a new thread until a set of criteria was fulfilled. Its almost a 'trial' period - prove that you are willing to be part of and contribute to the community rather than just spam - either with their own website/content or with Bitcoin. The fact that these would be like 'trial' memberships, their contributions in the forums could potentially be monitored easier - maybe send a 'flag' to moderators as 'newbie' post - rather than have them constantly monitoring every post.

The forums don't need to be checked with every new post/thread for example with the regulars but if a noobie posts, a flag is sent so that if any moderator is on line, they can check and deal with it quickly if it doesn't conform to rules. I am not saying that every noobie would 'spam' or need to be kicked off even, but if a flag was raised with their first posts, if they need to be kicked off (in the worst case scenario) or directed to the rules, I think it would make things better for regular users and easier for mods too. The most likely ones to break the rules or Spam are going to be the newbies so if they are on a 'trial' in the forums, have to prove they are willing to contribute before starting new threads and their posts send a notification so mods can easily check they conform to the rules.

An alternative is that newcomers can't post anything without moderators allowing it. After a set number of posts for example, they can then post directly without it having to wait until a moderator has vetted it.

None of these actually make it more difficult too sign up to the PushSquare community but help eliminate those that are only creating accounts to spam/troll. I think that 'newcomers' posts have to vetted by a moderator before they are 'live' on site helps both moderators and the community. Those that join for legitimate reasons - not to troll/spam - will not have an issue with this either. It also stops things getting out of hand with those trolls and regulars before a moderator gets online and would certainly limit those that only signed up to spam...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@BAMozzy Simple rules like not allowing a user to create threads with the same title could also prevent spam bots. I'm not sure how difficult that would be to implement, but there's already a feature that checks for duplicate posts.

Octane

Tasuki

Honest the amount of spammers vs how many new users we get per daily is significantly lower at least in my opinion. I don't think right now we need to change the join up procedure more then likely it will scare new honest members away I feel. Yes I will admit the past few days it seems we have had a huge influx of spammers but honestly that's very rare. It's more then likely some new pyramid scheme h as popped up and all it's members decided to hit us all at once. I am not sure why they decided to target us probably something with a search criteria they have, but as I said large influx of spammers like the past few days is rare. It's been awhile that we had an influx like the past few days.

Of course @get2sammyb might know a bit more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic