Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 2,198

Tom97

Linkin Park does anyone know this band?

Tom97

LordSteev

@Tom97

Things aren't the way they were before...
You wouldn't even recognize me anymore
Not like you knew me back then,
but it all comes back to you in the end

I tried so hard, and got so far..
but in the end, it doesn't really matter
I had to fall, to lose it all...
and in the end, it doesn't even matter

LordSteev

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to Parannoul’s To See The Next Part of the Dream, a Korean shoegaze album. I actually had it in my backlog but it totally blew up in popularity between me hearing about it and actually listening to it. It’s a fantastic album though, I’d definitely recommend it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LordSteev

@nessisonett What constitutes the 'Korean shoegaze' genre? Seems like it might be limited in scope.

LordSteev

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but how do you rate Vinnie Moore as a guitar player?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

LordSteev

@TheBrandedSwordsman

I love him, man! He reminds me of what would happen if Joe Satrioni mated with Randy Rhoads! I think I said it earlier, but there are just so many fantastic guitarists I love out there. I forgot (shamefully) to even mention Randy in my previous post and today it feels like an unforgivable omission!

LordSteev

nessisonett

@LordSteev Well it’s shoegaze made by Koreans I guess? And it’s in Korean 😂

LordSteev

@Thrillho I want to type lol, but I'm uneducated enough in K Pop to not really know if you're joking or not!

LordSteev

LordSteev

@nessisonett Forgive me, but even 'shoegaze' throws me. I've been lost ever since they started breaking metal into nu, death, prog, etc.

LordSteev

nessisonett

@LordSteev Oh it’s a strange genre that uses distortion and loads of pedals to create a kinda hazy sound. Bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Jesus and Mary Chain and stuff. It isn’t always necessarily rock either as a lot of the influences are rooted in Phil Spector’s pop productions and it in itself has influenced the early 2010s chillwave and hypnagogic pop sounds like Tame Impala.

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev Are you a guitarist yourself then? I imagine you must be pretty good. I share your thoughts and feelings about Vinnie Moore by the way.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

LordSteev

@nessisonett Thanks for the explanation! Some day, I'm going to have do some real digging into all of these roots/offshoots in the way music has become classified. It seriously bothers me when someone mentions a genre and I have no worldly idea of what they're talking about. At some point, I went through a long stretch where nothing new really moved me and the end result was sadly I don't follow some of this as closely as I used to.

LordSteev

LordSteev

@TheBrandedSwordsman

I still play on occasion, but nothing like I used to. Here's how old I am. Remember the Pretenders? Remember how they were hot, then they were not, and then they were again? When they weren't, they were playing clubs instead of arenas. I was in a band that got to warm up for them at one of their club shows. We were under-age at the time and had to sign a no-alcohol waver in order to play.

At one time, I was a graduate of the 'Hammer on Pull off' institute of higher learning, lol.

Seriously, I think I used to be pretty good, but that came with playing hours a day everyday. I still plunk around on an old SG, but I can't make my fingers do what they used to, and don't devote nearly enough time to it anymore.

How 'bout you, do you play?

LordSteev

Kidfried

@nessisonett Wow, thanks for the recommendation for To See. Just listened to one song, but it's very interesting stuff.

So far the last few months haven't given me a lot of musical surpsises to, but this certainly is.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yeah, I’ve listened to a couple of Korean albums over the years of varying styles but that album is just so different from anything I’ve listened to in a long while.

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev I was certainly born in a different era to you, in that case, but, yes I play, I subscribe to the Allan Holdsworth school of four-notes-per string legato playing, I am obviously not as good as he was, no one ever can be, but I like to think I'm not that bad, probably closer to Kurt Rosenwinkle ,who is also influenced by Allan.

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev I take it you're not a fan of jazz guitarists though? Although Holdsworth, John McLaughlin and particularly Guthrie Govan should be worth your time as they are all basically shredders most of the time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic