Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 2,197

LordSteev

@Northern_munkey

Isn't he? I know some critics complain that he sounds TOO much like Plant, but that's only a good thing in my book. If anything, I think he has even more raw power than Robert. For me, he's the best new singer I've heard in at least ten years.

LordSteev

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud What have you been listening to recently? Pure bone-crushing metal I take it? Did you try One Size Fits All by Zappa? Thoughts?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman no it’s not, though that is a pretty memorable video. ‘Mojo’ is a more recent album for Petty (2010) but I really enjoy it. If you like Petty at all and would like to hear him explore a more bluesy side it’s definitely worth checking out. Some of Mike Campbell’s best work is on this album in my opinion.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I see, I'll have a listen sometime then. I wanted to share this guy (Bill Orcutt, guitarist) with you as well, to see what you think. He does a kind of deconstructed avant-blues thing ,in the words of @nessisonett ,but will be borderline unlistenable to some due to it's avant-garde and experimental nature.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Mergatro1d

Anyone here in to Weyes Blood? I (like most people) have very eclectic tastes but I'm obssessed with her and wish more people would listen to her. Classic voice, classic songwriting.

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

nessisonett

@Mergatro1d Yeah, I wasn’t big on Titanic Rising the first time I heard it but it’s totally grown on me. Brilliant album and it totally gets the plaudits it deserves in certain circles.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman That was... interesting. Honestly, not something I’d listen to much, but I’m glad I experienced it. I had a vivid picture in my head at one point of worker bees on an assembly line passing broken stringed instruments to each other. Each time they exchanged hands, the colours would invert until eventually everything was black and white. What a trip.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Mergatro1d

@nessisonett I had a feeling you'd like her, I've seen some of your other posts and thought we have quite similar tastes. Titanic Rising has quickly become one of my favourite albums.

Do you know Hannah Peel? Her album, Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia is (literally) out of this world. I had the pleasure of seeing her perform it live with a 20 piece colliery brass band and some particularly strong psychadelics a couple of years ago; I'm still getting over it now!

Mergatro1d

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman definitely an interesting fusion...lots going on in there. The main riff and guitar work in general reminds me a lot of Tom Morello. Pretty cool, man.

Jimmer-jammer

@LordSteev I’ve yet to listen to the latest Tool album after waiting so long for it and that makes me sad. Also, whether intended or not, I found some humour in the statement, “I’ve been stuck on A Perfect Circle...”

Kidfried

@Mergatro1d I love Weyes Blood, especially the album Front Row Seat though. I believe that's the less popular opinion.

I had the pleasure of seeing her as a support act for Father John Misty some years ago. Thanks to covid I still haven't been to a show she headlined (though I bought cards for it).

Kidfried

Mergatro1d

@Kidfried Yeah, Front Row Seat To Earth got me into her as well. Amazing album. I'd love to see her live; Father John Misty I have a love/hate thing with- depends on my mood, I guess.

In fact, I'd love to see anyone live right now! Last gig was Aldous Harding and who knows what the next one will be

Mergatro1d

Kidfried

@Mergatro1d I'd love any concert right now.

The last one I went to before COVID was either DIIV or Angel Olsen. They were within a week of eachother if I recal correctly. Both brilliant and emotional performances.

I went to one or two covid-concerts, but they were not the same!

Kidfried

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer Hey buddy!

The new Tool album is good, it's what you'd expect from them, long, hypnotic songs, great vocals, etc. You'd like it if you're a certified tool fan, for sure! It's in my cars disc player currently, excellent road trip music. If you like Tools singer, and want something much more mellow/psychedelic, Eat the Elephant is Perfect Circle's latest, and it's one I like at home, almost meditative. It came out in 2018, and was their first release in 18 years. Neither they nor Tool seem to be especially prolific!

I assure you, I meant nothing untoward with 'stuck on a perfect circle', lol! Have a good one my friend.

LordSteev

nessisonett

@Kidfried I’m actually off to see Michael Kiwanuka in 2 days, if all goes according to plan. I was supposed to see him last year but it’s been postponed to the 26th March. Who knows what it’ll be like.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@LordSteev I haven’t listened to either of their new albums then. They’re not prolific but my goodness they’re unique. I could go for some of that this weekend. Hope all is well for ya!

Mergatro1d

@Kidfried I'd be up for going to the Flaming Lips COVID concert where everyone has their own bubble, it looks suitably crazy

Mergatro1d

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer

They're both good albums, especially by modern standards. I freely admit that most of my favorite music comes from the 70's and 80's. There was a lot of guitar player talk going on above, so just for the heck of it, here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Ritchie Blackmore
Michael Schenker
Yngwie Malmsteen
Vivian Campbell
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satrioni
Dave Murray
Tony Iommi

And after starting this, I realize it's pointless. I could rattle off 30 more at least that have had some impact on me. At the risk of sounding like the old fogey I am, I just don't think they play them like they used to.

Edited on by LordSteev

LordSteev

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic