Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,721 to 5,740 of 8,930

JohnnyShoulder

Got my first 4K Limited/Collectors edition. I went for Donnie Darko. I would have got is sooner, but some disks were faulty when initially released. That has now been resolved, so I treated myself. And here is what comes with it:

Untitled

Pretty chuffed with it. Hopefully the film still holds up as I've not seen it in something like 10 years.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Very nice! Looks pretty comprehensive!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder As trinkets go, that's a nice looking set! Also, yes, it appears quite comprehensive.

I saw the film again not too long ago and though it wasn't as life-changing as I may have found it in my youth, I still thought it was enjoyable enough. It holds up by well in my opinion.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

Newest hot take on Hollywood from the NLife community, apparently pedophilia in the church was made up by Hollywood and they don’t make any anti-communist movies anymore. Because Hollywood are Commies!1!1!1!1!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@nessisonett At least they got some hot takes going right there. We all just agree with each other all the time.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I dunno, last time we had an ‘unpopular opinions’ discussion in the movie thread someone ended up leaving 😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

Looks like another run of the mill Nic Cage film... 🤣

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@Kidfried Oof, now you mention it I can’t remember the name but IIRC Ral said they didn’t like The Godfather and it completely escalated from there. As much as I do believe there’s a certain level of ‘well-made movies’ and such, it doesn’t always mean I enjoy them. Like most of Nolan’s movies are well-made but I think they’re mostly tosh.

Th3solution

@nessisonett @Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder Here’s a dissenting opinion — Nicolas Cage is pretty much unwatchable as far as I’m concerned. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears, his acting is as wooden as a giant sequoia, and his personality is literally a caricature of itself.

When I watch his movies, I feel my life force being sucked out of my soul with each passing minute.

And although I respect @nessisonett as a true Push Square brother, I can’t understand how he could like Nic Cage as an actor.

😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @Kidfried I remember that now, they called Ral all sorts iirc all because of a difference in opinion.

Th3solution

Suddenly there’s actually some movies coming out I want to watch. Curious about Suicide Squad and Free Guy. And Shang-Chi looks epic, as does Dune.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Shang-Chi’s probably the only Marvel movie coming out that I can really say I’m massively hyped for. Maybe Spider-Man too but I’m not thrilled about the direction it’s going in. The Suicide Squad is one I don’t really know about. I like the look of it but then I really can’t stand Harley Quinn as a character so not sure I could stick a whole movie with her.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Avoid Birds of Prey then, I thought that was bloody awful. Maybe even worse that the first Suicide Squad movie. 🤔

RogerRoger

Yeah, I have zero interest in The Suicide Squad, and not just because of my disdain for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies (which was another point of contention with the ex-member being discussed above, I believe). I just don't think I have the energy for it.

But then there's a sea change going on with me at the moment anyway. I haven't wanted to watch Birds of Prey at all. My Aquaman and Shazam Blu-Rays are entering their third year of being ignored, and I've had The Snyder Cut sitting here unopened for weeks. I keep thinking "Oh, I'll watch them tomorrow!" and then finding an excuse not to, and I'm not 100% sure why.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger I was one of the few who thought the first Suicide Squad was decent, but Birds of Prey was indeed atrocious. There’s a divergence of opinion about the new Squad movie, but more positive vibe than I was expecting, so it’ll end up being on my watchlist. I’ll drop impressions when I get to it.

I also haven’t got around to the Justice League Snider Cut. I kinda wanted to rewatch Man of Steel and B v S beforehand, so for me I think the obstacle is the enormous time commitment. At 4 hr run time, I think I’ll just have to skip the prequels and go straight for it.
In my opinion Aquaman is worth a watch, just for the visual spectacle, but not much else, and Shazam is a fun movie that I’d watch again one day if the mood strikes.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution The Suicide Squad has gone from me totally not interested in it to adding it to the home viewing list. Reviews do seem to me more positive this time around, but that is not saying too much really.

I've bumped the Snyder Cut to the top of my rental list, so should have that to watch in the next few weeks.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I’ll be curious what you think of them. I’m hesitant about the four hour time commitment. Yet, I did it for the LOTR: Return of the King Extended Cut, so I guess I can do it for JL.

I’ll probably try Suicide Squad first since it’s only available to stream on HBO for a month.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic