Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,701 to 5,720 of 8,906

zupertramp

@Ralizah look forward to reading this after I watch it.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Ralizah

@Th3solution I haven't. Actually this is the first time I've ever heard of Apple TV+. I take it this is another subscription service with original content?

Streaming is going to be worse than paying for cable at this point. Someone needs to bundle these services together.

I'm intrigued by the show you mentioned, though, having just looked it up.

@zupertramp When do you plan on watching it?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yes, Apple TV+… yet another streaming service with original content and a monthly subscription fee. I actually got a year for “free” with my mobile phone contract, so I have it and have only watched a few things, but I still need to try out Servant before my sub expires. I’d I do try it I’ll definitely drop some impressions.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Ralizah not sure honestly. Wasn't really high up on my list of things to watch. I'm also a M. Night fan but other than Servant, he hasn't really been on his game for awhile now. Recently watched Glass, for example, and it was so bad. And even Servant falls off by the mid to latter half of season 2 imo.

Then again, I guess Old has now moved up on my list simply due to your asking lol. Maybe I'll shoot for the weekend.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

Mixed feelings on this Black Widow lawsuit. On the one hand it does sound like a breach of contract but on the other, does Scar Jo really think it would have done better (in theaters) had it not released on Disney+?

Plus like, not the best look when you got a $20 mil base payout but you're disgruntled Disney didn't handle your Covid-era movie correctly.

Then again it's Disney and really she certainly could have been given a movie before all this so eh...
Untitled

nessisonett

@zupertramp I honestly don’t see how she wouldn’t have a case though. Like Disney have 100% done her out of money that she was owed in her contract. Not that I’m saying it’s a factor but the fact it’s ScarJo who’s been given this movie years and years too late, and now they’ve kinda ripped her off? Pretty rubbish of them even considering the circumstances. The contract should have been revised to give her a share of the Disney+ profits. But yeah, it’s hard to give the tiniest little sh*t when we’re dealing in millions of dollars at a time in which many people have been made redundant and such.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@zupertramp @nessisonett Yeah, this really is one of those "window to another world" moments that further damages my tolerance for celebrity culture. If you took off all the price tags, I might've been interested in the legal technicalities of the story.

As far as morality it concerned, the best thing Ms. Johansson can do now is win the case and then quietly give every penny of what she's awarded to charity.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@nessisonett yeah certainly sounds like she does (have a case). Although one of the statements Disney put out hinted at her making profit off those Plus fees too.* I couldn't really be sure though. And even then if a family of 5 goes in for $30 for what's basically a theatrical release, that's still her getting cut out of money.

@RogerRoger yeah Disney even leans on that "window to another world" aspect in their public response to the lawsuit. Like how could you do this when so many have it so much worse. And so, from a public relations standpoint I just don't think this looks great for her. Not that it will make any real world difference.

But anyway, was just surprised to read about it. Must be nice to have those kinds of problems.

*Edit: here's the quote: "...the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date."

Edited on by zupertramp

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Yeah, whilst I'm not out to diminish anybody's problems, it's tough to sympathise with the poor out-of-pocket superstar left with a paltry $20,000,000 for her troubles. I get that working under such intense focus can be incredibly hard, and stressful and mentally draining, even damaging, but all of that is kinda invalidated when you file a greedy, tone-deaf lawsuit like this.

And I'd say the same about any celebrity, or any case dealing with these kinds of figures.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

Regardless of figures, numbers or social status, everyone has the actionable right to uphold a legally binding contract. Power to her.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

zupertramp

@Jimmer-jammer Totally hear you, I'm just not sure what Disney was supposed to do here. Very few people are ready to return to theaters yet. It had like one good weekend in the theater and that was likely the entirety of those willing to sit in a theater for a film. Plus Premier really seems like an acceptable compromise, especially if it's true she's getting a cut of that. Without Plus it would have bombed completely.

They pushed it back and pushed it back again and maybe even a third time, I can't quite recall. Should they really have waited until the dust had completely settled from Covid? That could be years from now.

Jimmer-jammer

@zupertramp I don’t know any of the details around this but I guess they probably should have amended the contract or communicated in some fashion with her to reach a new contractural agreement before the release. Presumably this didn’t happen. It’s a crap situation but a contract is a contract and these companies will take a mile if given an inch.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

Love this shot of The Batman. Is that @nessisonett in the background?! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder ...you mean that's not @nessisonett on the bike?!

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder that's an incredible shot.

@Jimmer-jammer I suppose. I'd just be really surprised if there weren't some behind-the-scenes talks before the release, where somehow they couldn't come to an agreement on how to divvy up all those millions. Hard to take a side is all.

Edit: and one thing I keep forgetting to mention is, overall, this lawsuit just kinda disappoints because I like her as Black Widow and now it's hard to see a scenario where she returns in that capacity. Especially if the legal fight gets kinda ugly.

Edited on by zupertramp

hypnotoad

Old.

It's not bad but at the same time, it's not good.

6 outta 10.

hypnotoad

hypnotoad

Animal House.

An absolute classic.

John Belushi.

Nuff said.

Edited on by hypnotoad

hypnotoad

zupertramp

A Quiet Place Part II. Good movie. Not as good as the first though. Less intimate. Less scary. Less mysterious. Cillian Murphy was good. Overall though it kinda felt like a retreading of ground previously covered.

Still worth a watch however.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic