Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,741 to 5,760 of 8,930

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution HBO's streaming service ain't available in the UK, so I'll just wait till I can rent it on 4K blu ray.

Being able to sit through the masterpieces that were Peter Jackson's LOTR films is whole different kettle of fish compared to Justice League for me, especially as I didn't rate the original JL cut. Yet I spent over 8 hours in the cinema for the LOTR trilogy.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

I’m really curious to see all of your takes on Snyder’s Justice League. There’s been some pretty intense and passionate debate about it in my circles. I fall on the overwhelmingly positive end of the spectrum. Watch it in the most high contrast way possible; it’s truly a comic book brought to life, even in format. Excited to hear.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Same as you, before I can sit down and start The Snyder Cut, I feel kinda obligated to re-watch Batman V Superman at least (because I've seen Man of Steel quite a bit, and arguably it has fewer moving parts and therefore less impact on the ongoing storyline, given its narrow focus on just one member of the League). But then that just adds three hours to the four hours, making it two days of DC in a row, and that's where I start to wonder if I've got anything else to be doing instead.

But this discussion has gotten me closer to pulling the trigger than I have been lately and so, once I'm back home on Monday, I might start clearing some schedule. Will see.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Jimmer-jammer Yeah, I also really really liked it. Fixed most issues with the theatrical cut and is a visual spectacle. Easily the best DCEU movie and personally it’s probably my favourite DC movie outside of maybe Batman ‘89 and Superman 2.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett I finally viewed it in black and white and think it was clearly lit for that experience...my only real negative with it is that I do feel it slightly overstayed it’s welcome. I agree, it’s my favourite DCEU movie as well.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@Jimmer-jammer I wish I could see the black and white version in 4K but it’s basically impossible to find over here. It’s not on the 4K disc and you need a specific TV package to get it.

Jimmer-jammer

The Green Knight. What a fantastic watch. It’s a beautifully made film, I’d say an audio-visual (especially audio) dream of a movie. Can’t wait to see this one again.

MightyDemon82

@Jimmer-jammer I really want to see that one. This weekend I've watched The Gentlemen, typical Guy Ritchie movie and also The Dead don't die which was a bizzare but funny movie.

MightyDemon82

Jimmer-jammer

@MightyDemon82 I’ll have to check out The Gentlemen as I do like Ritchie more often than not. Haven’t heard of The Dead Don’t Die.

colonelkilgore

@MightyDemon82 @Jimmer-jammer loved The Gentlemen… maybe my favourite Guy Ritchie movie actually. The Dead Don’t Die was bizarre. I love weird and bizarre but it didn’t quite pull it off for me.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Jim Jarmusch has made some great movies in his time but I agree about The Dead Don’t Die, it didn’t really do it for me. Coffee and Cigarettes I seem to remember someone on here talking about recently, that’s well worth a watch. Stranger Than Paradise and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai as well.

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore if you like weird and bizarre then The Green Knight is definitely worth checking out!

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer I definitely have Green Knight on my radar now. I have always enjoyed the medieval stories and I think I read the old Sir Gawain tales as a kid, but I don’t remember much about it.

Also, if it has Alicia Vikander then that’s a plus.

Is it streaming on anything or only in theaters?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jimmer-jammer

@Th3solution I don’t think it’s streaming anywhere. I saw it in the theatre, haven’t been to one in like a year and half so it was pretty awesome. Man, the audio for this movie is just phenomenal. What a trip.

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer yeah I’m looking forward to getting around to it… I love Arthurian myth too so should be right up my street.

**** DLC!

zupertramp

So started Batman The Long Halloween over the weekend and idk, I was not impressed. I actually fell asleep. The voice-acting is just so uninspired. Every conversation is so slow and tedious. Basically just a bunch of monotonous dialogue with awkward long pauses between characters. Or maybe I was just really tired.

Also I love Batman The Animated Series but does every Batman series now have to ape that art-deco, noir-ish aesthetic? It was cool back then but it just feels fairly meat and potatoes at this point.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp That’s a shame, the comic’s really really great as well. The noir aesthetic is my favourite Batman archetype, really really dislike the ‘tech’ Batman angle. Give me a crazy guy in a rubber suit!

zupertramp

@nessisonett more than anything I just get tired of the anachronistic cars. Like, bruh, is Gotham in Cuba?

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

In all honestly I'd really love to see Free Guy if it were anyone else but Ryan Reynolds. I'm sorry but I don't get the appeal. He's a one-trick pony: sarcastic Jim Carrey.

Sigh, oh well. Boomer rant over.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic