Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,681 to 5,700 of 8,866

zupertramp

@Snottie_Drippen @nessisonett

lol I love how different these two descriptions are to the point that now I feel like I have to watch it just to know which is more accurate.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Snottie_Drippen

@nessisonett @zupertramp yeah one of us is exaggerating or sarcastic. Hard to determine.

Anyway.
The Post is a good recent(2017) Spielberg film. The irony with the cast is that group of progressive elitists would never, EVER, in reality. Which makes me believe not very vanilla, at all.

Snottie_Drippen

zupertramp

So watched Rent last night. Don't ask why. What a god awful musical. That's the review.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp ...but, but, if that's your review, I really wanna ask why now?!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@zupertramp I agree to be honest. I like the musical but the movie adaptation is really bad. The sorta fake bohemian stylings come across quite phoney.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Just watched Tina (the Tina Turner documentary on Sky) and it was very good. Although I grew up watching and listening to her, Elton John and Freddie Mercury… it is only when I’ve watched the various films (this, Whats Love Got To Do With It, Rocketman & Bohemian Rhapsody) does it hit me what these artists actually produced. I guess it all just faded into my childhood milieu and lied there dormant until these films have opened up a rich vein of memories and nostalgia.

Great story, great woman and seemingly a massive inspiration for where women have progressed in the last 50 years.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

zupertramp

@RogerRoger my daughter had a short summer camp thing where they put on a scene/song from Rent. So afterward we figured we should brush up. And I figured well the film has one of the hottest women in the planet so how bad could it be?

I'd watch all 3 high school musicals before watching that again.

@nessisonett really curious how the actual musical could be different but I'll try not to judge it on the film

nessisonett

@zupertramp Well, for starters, the stage play has charm and energy. It’s constantly in motion plus the characters are played by a lot younger actors, meaning the ‘struggling actor’ vibes are a bit more interesting. It’s no coincidence that Rent and Phantom of the Opera both got theatrical releases of the stage play only a couple years after the movies!

zupertramp

@nessisonett but all the songs just seemed so void of melody or arrangement of any kind. With the exception of Season of Love, I couldn't whistle any song from that movie afterwards if my life depended on it. Maybe this is just one of those talk-sing musicals I'm not usually real fond of??

I say that but I'd totally like to give a stage production a chance. It couldn't be worse. Maybe someday. Probably better in person because some of that energy surely gets lost if it's not live.

RogerRoger

@zupertramp I was semi-kidding, but I appreciate the context. I'm certain that your daughter's rendition of said song was a 100% improvement over the movie version, if your High School Musical comment is anything to go by. I've suffered through that trilogy as well. Never again!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh Lord, High School Musical. The first one came out 15 years ago! I was in early primary school so yeah, it was huge. I could probably recite the songs from memory.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I think this edit actually sounds better than the movie's audio.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

(mild spoilers for Old)

There is a sort of inherent body horror to the process of aging that is masked by its universality and inevitability. When you're young and reach puberty, you start looking and sounding different, you're assailed with confusing thoughts and feelings that you don't have the life experience to deal with, hair sprouts up in weird places, and often find that you're stuck uncomfortably between two very distinct phases of life. Then, as you get older, your body starts breaking down: your vision goes, your joints ache, you're unable to do some of the things you used to do, and often, if they live long enough, people find that they've become a shell of their former selves, both physically and (tragically) mentally as well. These aging-related issues can destabilize families and relationships when people deal with them over the course of a lifetime, so imagine the sheer confusion and terror of having it happen all in one day!

That's, basically, the set-up for Old, the new film from famous (if uneven) filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan. Groups of vacationers who are staying at a fancy resort are selectively invited to spend the day at a private beach. This lovely deserted beach, surrounded by rocks and water in all directions, quickly becomes a place of terror when the vacation-goers find that their bodies are aging unnaturally quickly. They burn through roughly a year of their precious lives every half hour, and some other unexplained phenomenon causes them to blackout when they try to leave the beach.

Why is this happening to them? Who are the strange figures who keep appearing on the rocks above the beach? There is a compelling mystery here, although the film (wisely, IMO) doesn't spend too much time trying to explain the actual mechanics underlying the time-accelerating beach. Instead, the film is laser-focused on the experiences of the people on the beach. What's it like for a small child to grow into a man over the course of mere hours? What might happen if you're afflicted with dementia, tend to become violent in your confusion, and find yourself trapped in a situation like this? What about natural bodily processes that normally take time to happen, like blood poisoning, pregnancy, or healing flesh wounds? While there are small things that the filmmakers overlook, Shyamalan's film does take a perverse joy in asking: "What if...?" to a variety of questions you might never have wanted to know the answers to.

There's a hopelessness to this film that sets in quickly. One thing about the film that will put off some viewers is that there's not a ton of plot movement throughout. Once the characters become aware of what's happening and realize that attempting to escape seems futile, it becomes, for a period of time, a carnival of horrors as characters continually deal with the disturbing situations caused by the freakish situation they're in as best as possible. It's only near the end when things really begin to change, and the famous Shyamalan twist comes into play. And, about the twist, I will say that it wasn't amazing. I think almost anyone who sits and thinks about what's happening in the film will be able to guess 90% of the full truth of the situation. It's actually potentially interesting in its own way, but it doesn't elicit that visceral shock that something like the twist in The Sixth Sense provided (a shock that so dramatically re-contextualized the film that it really needed to be seen twice in order to fully process it). The best film twists both shock you with their unexpectedness and, in retrospect, seem like they should have been obvious, and this film's twist just doesn't have that quality to it.

Don't let that put you off the film, though. Shyamalan will never make anything as excellent as The Sixth Sense again, but this is still an upper-tier work for the director. One that shows that he's still a talent worth paying attention, despite some of the incredible lows his career sunk to at times, Ultimately, it's simple and concept-heavy enough that it could have worked in something like Black Mirror or The Twilight Zone, but the convincing special effects work, solid performances, and emotional realism of the characters, who are forced to deal with an unimaginable situation, make this a solid recommendation for fans of speculative fiction and creative cinema.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

My mum saw Batman on his motorbike thing outside Greggs. This filming is wild.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Did he grab a sausage roll on the way past?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Batman seems like more of a steak bake sorta man.

Th3solution

@Ralizah Thanks for sharing your impressions of Old. I’m a shameless M. Night fan, although I admit some of his products are subpar. Good to hear he has caught a little magic with this latest, even it it doesn’t pack the punch of The Sixth Sense.

Have you tried Servant on Apple TV+?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@BowTiesAreCool Think you deserve a round of applause for that one, oooooof 😂😂

RogerRoger

@BowTiesAreCool Yeah, blimey... na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, stop that!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic