Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,741 to 4,760 of 4,830

Th3solution

@zupertramp Yeah we were discussing The Social Dilemma in the TV thread last week and I mentioned it in the Moderation thread, pointing to the radicalization of the internet’s extreme behavior. I agree with your take. The show reconfirmed some of my suspicions. And yes, the dramatized parts were indeed hokey. 😄

@nessisonett I won’t flay you for the opinion but I do think Pulp Fiction is awesome. I’ve just never watched Snatch.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

zupertramp

@Th3solution Ah, that's right, the Moderation thread. Haven't popped into the TV thread so didn't realize there'd been much discussion on it. Maybe I'll read through that some time. Plus I'm really not watching much on TV these days so I welcome any recommendations where I can get them.

@nessisonett I think Snatch is really good but Pulp Fiction is still better. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for having the opposite view though. Like you say, there are worse takes.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

Th3solution

@zupertramp Yeah, there’s a fair amount of overlap between the TV and Movie threads, so some interesting discussion and recommendations exist over there too. But I’m with you, I rarely watch “TV” shows, like the ongoing series type. But TV series are now almost like extended movies, so I dabble in them sometimes trying to find the stuff that’s high quality, not too long, and has a conclusive and satisfying ending.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

I watched Terminator: Dark Fate there and it was really quite good. Obviously not as good as the first two but a clear step up from all the other sequels. Just stupid fun and a similar tone to the original. I’d definitely recommend it.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Good to know it's watchable on a popcorn level. I've been storing up a backlog of movies to get back to, and that was in there with a question mark beside its name. I'll make it a definite now.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Over the weekend I watched Ghostbusters (Blu-Ray)!

The Premise:

• Classic 1980's supernatural action comedy that follows a group of paranormal scientists, whom after being fired from their university gig, decide to open up a spiritual investigations & capture business after discovering that ghosts are indeed real & can be contained with the right energy wavelength. Business is soon booming, but with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) seeking to shut them down, and an Apocalyptic threat looming in the shadows, our upstart entrepreneurs have their work cut out for them.

The Takeaway:

• It's stuffed with 80's mainstays like Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, & Rick Moranis, and is just a really good time. Nostalgia probably plays a part as it's been a Halloween favorite as far back as I can remember, but I found myself chuckling along to it all the way through. Some of the sets & special effects are starting to show their seams in high definition, but I found myself still really enjoying it.

The Package:

• It's a double pack that comes with Ghostbusters II (which I'll get to in due time), and while it does have special features I didn't have the time to check what all they entail.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

aaroncutrone

Shawshank Redemption is my favourite.

I am a musician and rapper. I love to love rap. My favourite rapper is juice wrld 999.

nessisonett

So Jamie Foxx is back as Electro in the MCU Spider-Man 3? This is the strangest twist this year’s thrown yet 😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Wonder if they are gonna do a live action Into The Spider-verse? Would be crazy if they had Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire as other versions of Spider-man.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Tobey Maguire still looks younger than Andrew Garfield so it would work 😂

TheFrenchiestFry

I really hope they don't do a live action Spider-Verse. It would completely undercut the plot that was seemingly alluded to based on FFH's end credits scene. I want this next film to be way more street level than any previous MCU Spider-Man film or even any of the Phase 3 films in general. Plus, ITSV is essentially as good as I could've hoped for as both a Miles Morales film adaptation, and as a loose adaptation of the Spider-Verse story in the comics, and a live action one probably won't hold up nearly as well imo.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah they could have Andrew Garfield as the overweight Spider-man!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Arugula

Real Steel

Totally ridiculous. Yet highly enjoyable, and I'll be damned if it wasn't yanking on some heartstrings.

Arugula

RogerRoger

Bond has been delayed again, I see. Looks like No Time to Die will now be a full year late, pending the status of the ongoing pandemic in its biggest markets.

It's the right decision, of course, but I do wish they'd stop putting dates on it.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

@Arugula I have so much freaking nostalgia for Real Steel

The scene where the kid has to watch Hugh Jackman get beaten up in the parking lot was basically what I considered morbid imagery as a kid

I still remember the Xbox 720 easter egg in the battle arena

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Thinking about it, the sorta movies that we would feel nostalgic about are strange. I also feel kinda nostalgic about Real Steel despite it not being very good. I’m trying to think about what would be our equivalent of E.T. or The Karate Kid but I dunno, Marvel movies were basically the only thing I went to see in the cinema between 2008 and last year. My first 15 in the cinema was Straight Outta Compton, while my mum’s was Tough Guys, with Burt Lancaster and Kurt Russell. Even back in the late 80s and early 90s, she watched more movies at home because Blockbuster + older sister meant she could watch Robocop and Terminator while way underage 😂

zupertramp

Thought I'd mention I've just watched The Devil All the Time and Antebellum recently. One of them was trash and the other pretty solid with some impressive acting... I'll let you all guess which.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

Tjuz

@zupertramp I hope The Devil All the Time was the trash one, because Antebellum actually interests me and has the amazing Janelle Monaé at its center. I fear you think it's the other way around, though.

Tjuz

nessisonett

@Tjuz I do love Janelle Monaé but Antebellum struck me as being an extremely cheap shot. Making a horror movie with that premise just feels a bit icky and tacky.

JohnnyShoulder

I'm watching The Devil All the Time at the moment at i will concur that it is pretty solid with some impressive acting. R Patz does another great performance, in a small but creepy role.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic