Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 8,929

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry It did to me too until I saw the trailer. The special effects look a lot better and it just works, I dunno why.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

Terminator Dark Fate. Not awful but not great either, and just felt like I was watching a rubbish version of T2 with some tweaks. Not too keen on some of the ways they handled the story and some of the characters either.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder I'd say it was a fair bit better than terminator 5 but overall it was just a bit generic. They took the really cool and originally named skynet and renamed it Legion which is just bland and used in everything.

I quite liked the new characters though played by Mackenzie Davis and Gabriel Luna but yeah overall I thought it was not great but miles better than genisys

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny @Arugula Not seen anything past the 3rd film, so can't comment on how it compares with those. I can see why that did what they did, but it didn't work for me. None of the cast were awful, but they came across as a bit bland. And it made absolutely no sense why Arnie's character was the way he was. Just like the Alien films, they really need to just stop making these films.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I actually enjoyed Dark Fate for what it was. It’s not a ‘good’ film but it’s a fun ride which is more than can be said for pretty much everything after 2.

nessisonett

The second film in the Small Axe anthology, Lover’s Rock, was every bit as good as the first one. It’s incredible how you don’t really notice that there really aren’t many black British romance movies until you see one. It was filmed in a way that I haven’t really seen before, following a house party with sweeping camera shots and heavy use of changing focus. You could really tell that Steve McQueen was recapturing an era almost forgotten, out of absolute reverence. Not many movies can truly transport you back in time and immerse you in the culture, sights and sounds of a specific setting but Lover’s Rock manages it and more.

RogerRoger

@Arugula I've seen Skiptrace before... and you're absolutely right, I couldn't tell you a thing about it, except that it definitely starred those two actors, and some people got punched at some point.

It's a shame, as I love Jackie Chan and would happily watch him in any old rubbish. Which I clearly did.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Arugula I went to the pictures to see that. Enjoyed the extremely held in pee afterwards more than the movie. Man, Nolan so wants to be Kubrick.

zupertramp

@Arugula Went on a Nolan binge not too long ago and though there are elements of Interstellar that I really love it's not my favorite. It was better than I'd remembered it though.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Ralizah

Interstellar was a potent mix of fantastic cinematography, (reasonably) hard sci-fi themes, a genuinely awe-inspiring scope, likable characters, and a terrific ending. Not necessarily Nolan's best film, and definitely not the equal of lizard person Stanley Kubrick's one truly excellent film, but it's one of the better science-fiction films I've seen, and was really cool in cinemas.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Seeing as I’ve gotten hold of a PS5, I’ve ordered some 4K Blu-Rays for Christmas. I got It’s A Wonderful Life, The Wizard Of Oz and Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I’m hoping to pick up The Shining in the near future but might plump for the super duper deluxe version.

nessisonett

@Arugula Yeah, I’m really looking forward to The Wizard of Oz as the Technicolour stylings should translate really well in 4K. I saw some Raimi Spider-Man movie comparisons in 4K vs the Blu-Ray and it’s crazy just how much of an improvement it is. The colours and brightness in particular seem to be massively improved.

zupertramp

@nessisonett cool you were able to secure a PS5. no sarcasm. I'm going to try to watch Mangrove and Lovers Rock some time this weekend. Trying to finish up my yearly re-watching of My So-Called Life first.

Which reminds me, watched Mr. Nobody based upon a friend's recommendation and although it wasn't bad, it also wasn't that good. There's this whole plot element I think could have been left out and it'd make a much better film imo. And shorter, because boy did feel long.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@Arugula Blood Diamond is extremely colorful now that you mention it. Or maybe, vibrant is a better word for it. It's one of the few movies I own on physical Blu-ray.

Edit: I think Fury Road will probably be the first film I watch if and when I get a PS5.

Edited on by zupertramp

nessisonett

@zupertramp I hope you enjoy the Small Axe movies, the first two were brilliant and the next one starring John Boyega is on tomorrow night, which should be good as I do love him.

nessisonett

Oh man, Dave Prowse passed away. As much as he later fell out with George Lucas and was banned from fan events, Darth Vader wouldn’t have been the same without him. He and James Earl Jones together sold that part. There’s been too many in 2020.

Black_Swordsman

Can anyone recommend any good Jon Voight films? Preferably something experimental or artsy.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

ralphdibny

I watched Lethal Weapon 1 + 2 over the weekend. I still think I prefer the first film because of how it portrays mental health and the attitudes of the time. It's very sad but also very funny which I like about it. I guess it's a bit like First Blood which was really poignant but the sequels just kind of run with whatever else was popular about the film.

It's also quite funny how Danny Glover has an "End Apartheid" sticker on his fridge in the first film but can't recognise a South African accent in the second film! I'm going to watch 3+4 again sometime this week

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Draco_V_Ecliptic not very artsy and experimental but I love them nonetheless, National Treasure 1+2 both have Jon Voight. I think they are surprisingly really good but probably not everyone's cup of tea, they're somewhere between Indiana Jones and the Da Vinci code

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic