Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 8,818

nessisonett

@zupertramp It’s soooo much more noticeable in Nolan movies but mostly in the Batman ones. I have no idea who mixed the sound but it’s utterly shameful. There are whole conversations between Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman that are indecipherable.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett lol. You're probably right but I have so much trouble hearing dialogue in any movie these days I always have subtitles on so I may not have noticed (I just went through the trilogy recently and it didn't seem out of the ordinary)

Also, while we're on the subject, why aren't there subtitles dedicated strictly to dialogue? I don't need to read that music is playing, or that a horse whinnied, or that plates broke in the background... I just need to know what the hell the people "talking" are mumbling.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp I assume it’s because subtitles are mostly reserved for deaf/hearing impaired viewers? Perhaps they could do different subtitles for a strict transliteration of dialogue and then one specifically for hearing impaired viewers.

zupertramp

@nessisonett surely I'm not the only one who isn't hearing impaired but still insists on subtitles right? Like for The Lighthouse, I mean c'mon, am I really meant to be understanding Dafoe unaided? "Inconceivable!"

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp I think you may have chosen the descriptive subtitles option instead of subtitles. Descriptive subtitles describe EVERYTHING In the film, like a door slamming, etc. There should be an option for just subtitles which is only for the dialogue. The worst is audio descriptive when you have a narration of everything 'There is a fly on the wall'. Of course very useful for people that require it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

I thought I’d watch the DC animated movies so I watched Justice League: The New Frontier last night. I skipped Superman Doomsday as that same story was adapted later on. I really enjoyed it though, it being set during the Cold War provided an interesting backdrop and some rather close-to-home comparisons between McCarthyism and the anti-alien sentiment faced by Martian Manhunter. It perhaps wasn’t the most revolutionary of movies and the bad guy was essentially Keith David’s disembodied voice but it was a fun ride. Next one is Batman: Gotham Knight which is apparently in the Nolanverse so who knows how I’ll take to that one.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder idk, I go to subtitles and select the English option, it gives me dialogue and describes what type of music is playing along with other noises relevant to the scene. I've never seen an option for descriptive or dialogue. Some films are worse than others but this is pretty much every movie or TV show I've ever watched.

Even the streaming services are like this. There's one option: subtitles on or off. I guess technically that's two but you know what I mean.

Closed Captioning is like this but a hundred times worse. And that's why I don't understand why subtitles give any descriptions because that's what closed captions is for. Or so I thought.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I'll admit, despite not being a super-huge fan of Disney animated films, I enjoyed Lilo & Stitch for what it was. Made the mistake of mentioning that I'd never seen it before, and got forced to watch it a couple years back. They could do far worse, put it that way.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Uuuurgh, Disney need to stop with the remakes. Lilo and Stitch is a classic and probably the one I remember watching most as a kid. It just doesn’t need to be remade. At least the Cinderella one made sense because the original has a threadbare plot and also it’s a classic fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast actually made the film less interesting, added some genuinely insulting gay twist to Lefou and didn’t add anything at all to the story. It’s as if Disney are trying on purpose to be the least imaginative company on the planet.

HallowMoonshadow

A Lilo and Stitch remake? Oh that doesn't sound like it's going to translate well to live action at all.

Wasn't the new Mulan they did pretty bad too?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger @nessisonett @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Lilo and Stitch is probably one of my least favorite Disney movies, and I consider myself a more avid than average Disney fan. Mulan actually looks pretty good (minus all the political shenanigans in its production) but I’m not going to pay $20 to stream it on TV.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TheFrenchiestFry

Jon M. Chu

That guy who bastardized G.I. Joe and probably ended up on the hitlist of every Jem & The Holograms fan on the planet

And Crazy Rich Asians was ok I guess

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I wasn’t that big on Crazy Rich Asians to be honest. They were a bit too rich for me to care about. It’s like if The Great Gatsby lacked a social message and said that being rich is great and screw you peasants. If the film was in any way subversive then nobody would have ended up happy. They didn’t deserve to. Some of the jokes were just incredibly dense, bottom of the barrel stuff that came across as being written on a napkin in a McDonalds. I’m all for the movie meaning that Asians (yes, that incredibly large group of people stretching from Kazakhstan to Japan) are now getting the money to create movies about them but let’s hope they use this newfound bankability to y’know, make good movies. At this point, the ‘Crazy Rich Asians effect’ just means that Netflix have about 50 romcoms with East Asians in them.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Mulan is free on D+ at the beginning of next month, so you haven't got too long to wait.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I do wonder just how much money they managed to make on that. I get that some folks are stuck for entertainment at the moment, and might've wanted to make a family night out of something new, but was it really worth twenty bucks to get a couple months' jump on things?

@nessisonett Disney had to start remaking everything, because the original licences were due up. If they didn't refresh the IP trademarking, some of the really classic stuff would've passed back into the public domain. It's kinda snowballed from there but, as always, the impetus was far from creative.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I don’t get why Disney should be allowed to have the rights to tales like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and the like. Most of them are fairy tales that stretch way back when and have no right being owned by anyone.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I personally wouldn't pay for it, or more specifically there hasn't been a title which I'm eager enough to fork out 15 - 20 quid for. But I think it is a fair price seeing the price of a cinema ticket alone, then you factor in travel, treats and drinks, parking costs etc.

@nessisonett I assume it is becasue they paid the money for those rights when doing the original animated movies? I could be wrong, as I've not looked into it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It’s just a bit crap. You don’t see companies paying for the rights to the Bible and that’s also really a collection of folk tales passed down the generations just like a lot of fairy tales. Not that I’m saying that the Bible is full of fairy tales, more that they’re spread the same way.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett No, I think you were right the first time about the bible. 😉

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic