Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@LN78 Understood, although I'd argue that The Force Awakens was both reboot and remake and that, despite the inclusion of legacy characters, it still shares the general concept of "starting over" with those other movies for the majority of its runtime. But that's me being pedantic!

This'll take some digging. Give me a moment... wait, that makes no sense on a forum... anyway, yes, I did post some pretty scathing rants about No Time to Die. Start scrolling on this page and continue over to the next one, as well. Funnily enough, much of the ensuing conversation touches upon the issues we've just been discussing! Would definitely be interested to see what you think about No Time to Die, as and when.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Thanks. Wow - you REALLY didn't like it! It really has been such a polarising film. I don't think I'll be ready to see it for a good long while yet, but when I do (and if I remember to) I'll jot down a few thoughts in the movie topic. You'll no doubt be thrilled to hear that I absolutely loathed "Terminator:Dark Fate" and "Ghostbusters Afterlife". It's actually pretty amusing how completely at odds our tastes in movies are. It probably means I'll think "No Time To Die" is a masterpiece - which is quite encouraging. 😉.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, all joking aside, I really hope you do enjoy No Time to Die, because it's always better to like things instead of hating them (and the film's nearly three hours long, so I'd imagine it's much easier to endure if you're having fun)! How come you're gonna take a while to get around to it, if you don't mind me asking? Someday I'll see the Blu-Ray in a sale and give it another shot, and maybe it'll sting less second time around. Until then, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for IO Interactive's Bond game.

And I'm genuinely sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Dark Fate or Afterlife, but I'm also not surprised!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I don't know if you remember my telling you during about our somewhat protracted (and ill tempered on my part - many apologies for my completely uncalled for behaviour in that instance) debates on the merits (or lack thereof) of "Die Another Day" but the Bond films were not only formative in my love for the cinema going experience, but a shared passion (and huge ahem bonding experience) between my father and I. Anyway long story short he passed away in November of 2020 (the day after the PS5 launched and the same day as mine arrived in the mail) after a short battle with cancer. Knowing what the ending of the movie is just makes the prospect of sitting through it all the more daunting. Not quite ready to deal with it yet but I'll get there someday.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Damn. You have my sincerest condolences for your loss. I hope that, when you're ready to watch No Time to Die or any other Bond film, it ultimately ends up being a positive experience, with regards what you must be feeling. And I really hope you think it's a decent film now, too!

No apology necessary for previous conversations, by the way. I enjoy encountering diverse opinions but can definitely become too defensive and intransigent at times, and probably gave my replies a bit of an edge when I realised the extent of our differences, which was wrong of me. I'll also take this opportunity to sneak in a pre-emptive apology for any future bear-poking which may or may not occur.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Looks like we should all brace ourselves for "authentic but clunky" review conclusions.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've got the PS3 "Star Trek" game (the "Gears of War" style cover shooter based on the Kelvin timeline) sitting unplayed on my shelf. A definite rainy Sunday afternoon special - I've heard that it's terrible!

LN78

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The dialogue is definitely clunky but I’d play that just to wander round the environments. The ship looks great!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@LN78 Oh my, yes. I've played that game through more times than it deserves, that's for sure! Even got its platinum trophy, much to my shame. It's not entirely without merit, but that kinda makes its dedication to utter mediocrity worse. At least it'll give you plenty to laugh about!

@nessisonett They do, don't they? I'm actually real impressed with its setting and dedication to detail, almost to the point where I could believe that the dialogue is "early TNG" clunky on purpose.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Of course - if memory serves you're a major aficionado of and expert on the resoundingly average licensed video game. I've been amazed at how expensive some of them (specifically the Marvel adjacent ones) have become over the duration of the pandemic.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Given what I've just dumped in the Star Wars topic... well, you're not wrong!

It is astounding how painfully average (or straight-up bad) games can command such insane prices, thanks to the power of brand association. I recently tracked down the tie-in games from The Amazing Spider-Man movies and was shocked at what some people expected me to pay, even moreso now that I've actually played 'em and seen how "amazing" they really are.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Are you keeping up with "Picard" by any chance? Everything I've seen and read suggests that it devolved into an ungodly mess after the first couple of episodes. Should I stay well clear?

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, I'm still with it, although I'm watching it in chunks, skipping every other week and catching up with it two or three episodes at a time. Which helps, because it is relatively slow-paced when compared to most other contemporary shows. I reckon it's been designed to be binged.

I really like it. I think it's fallen victim to fan expectation, most of which is unfair. Nobody really expected much from it, and it crept up on everybody, and then started so strong that suddenly it's this super-important focus of everybody's attention that should be going in Direction A, B and C, rather than doing what it always wanted to do from the get-go. I just reckon it's a lot of fun. They've done much better with Picard himself this time around; in almost every episode, he gets to make a little speech about human nature, or help somebody by sharing some poignant insight or wisdom, or champion a cause, not in a preachy way, but rather a way consistent with his TNG days. Alison Pill and Annie Wersching have also put in award-worthy performances in their respective roles, the latter being a total scene-stealer.

So yeah, it might not be what everybody wants it to be, but it's perfectly happy being what it is, and I'm enjoying it from that perspective. Knowing that the third and final season is already in the can, and that all of the principle TNG cast are coming back for it, helps. Means that this season can do its thing without feeling like a missed opportunity. The ending could still be weak, but that's always a risk, I guess.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I took a punt on it on Friday evening and watched the first four. It's an absolute train wreck and exactly as bad as I'd been led to believe - if not worse. I know that I've said this before, but I'm never (and I mean never) watching another episode of Kurtzman produced "Trek" content for as long as I live. I'm really,really surprised that you like this. I found the sheer stupidity of the writing to be borderline offensive - Lord only knows what Kurtzman will do when he has the full cast at his disposal but I'm most certainly not going to be hanging around to find out. Unbelievable.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Oh. Okay then, fair enough! Am sorry you found it so unpleasant.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Yes - I think that's the end of that particular discussion. 🖖.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78

I was gonna say something along the lines of "sorry for taking so long to answer your question" but thinking about it, I still would've replied encouragingly.

And then I really would have something to apologise for!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Oh don't worry about it - knowing how our tastes are so frequently mirror images of one other I suspect I'd have been outright worried if you'd said it was one of the worst things you'd ever seen! 🤣.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yep, looks like normal service has very much resumed.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic