Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,041 to 6,060 of 8,866

LtSarge

I just have to ask, am I the only one who thought Thor: Ragnarok was absolute garbage compared to the previous Thor movies? How do you take everything from the first two movies, throw it all out of the window and on top of that, introduce a larger emphasis on comedy which doesn’t fit the series’ tone at all?

I loved the first two Thor movies because of how epic they were and what a badass Thor was. But they just made him into a joke in this movie, literally. He’s constantly cracking jokes and making himself look like a clown, which is completely out of character. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind humour in movies but they just went overboard in Ragnarok. I loved the jokes in the previous Thor movies because they were few and far between and very effective. For example, when Thor arrived to Earth and tried to become accustomed to it. Going to the pet store because he wanted a horse was hilarious. Throwing down the mug when he wanted another drink was good fun. The humour was moderate and felt fitting to an otherwise serious movie. But then they started having jokes literally every other minute in Ragnarok and that completely ruined my picture of Thor and the series as a whole. It basically turned the franchise into a Guardians of the Galaxy copy, which isn’t fitting at all. GotG is one thing and Thor is one thing, don’t mix those two things together.

There was also no build-up to anything. Thor is stranded on an unfamiliar planet for most of the movie and nothing of significance happened here. No character developments, no progress towards stopping Hela, nothing. Even Hela lost her menacing appeal when the entire movie was turned into a comedy. Ragnarok is supposed to spell out the doom of the world but everyone’s cracking jokes and enjoying themselves. Way to ruin the serious mood.

Not to mention how they just got rid of everything that they had done previously. Killing off all of Thor’s friends, getting rid of Thor’s love interest Jane, killing off Odin, destroying Thor’s hammer. I was seriously on the verge of just stopping at that point. There’s a difference between making losses meaningful in stories and just outright not caring at all about the things you’ve crafted. It genuinely feels like there was a completely different group of people who made Ragnarok compared to the first two movies.

I’m genuinely appalled by how awful this movie was because all the other MCU movies I’ve seen so far have been great. Ragnarok was just a bad Thor movie.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Thor 1 and 2 are kinda pants though. Thor 2 especially is just downright dull with a terrible villain despite Christopher Ecclestone being a great actor.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Yeah I mean, they are not my favourite MCU movies but at least they had their own identity. Ragnarok just feels like a new effort from Marvel Studios of making their franchises more comedic and therefore similar in tone to each other.

LtSarge

Ralizah

All Thor movies are bad Thor movies. Especially the second one which, no joke, I've never successfully been able to sit through without either turning it off or falling asleep. Ragnarok just seems like it knows it's going to be bad and resigns itself to embracing farce instead.

They basically went from a Jaws sequel to Sharknado.

I don't disagree with the criticisms, but I also don't know that much of value was lost in the transition.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

sorteddan

@LtSarge
I liked Thor Ragnorok, it really made me laugh. I thought that big rock monster thing was hilarious. But then I am a fan of Taika Waititi films generally. Also I tried to watch one of the other Thor films recently (dark world? maybe) and gave up after about half hour coz I was bored of it. So guess there were aiming for a different audience with Ragnorok and found it with me.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Ralizah

@Sorteddan I almost guarantee it was The Dark World. The original is at least watchable.

sorteddan

@Ralizah
Felt a bit bad afterwards though. Don't even think I lasted till Thor had turned up! it probably improves when he does.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

nessisonett

@Sorteddan Thor’s basically a cardboard cut out in that movie, it doesn’t really improve all that much when he’s on screen. Rene Russo honestly gives the only tolerable performance in that movie!

nessisonett

Brendan Fraser is in Glasgow filming Batgirl. Christmas has come early.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I'm so glad he's making a comeback these days. Poor guy deserves a break, and he was always the best thing about his many 90s movies.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

In preparation for starting Terminator: Resistance Enhanced next week, I've been reacquainting myself with the older movies from its franchise.

The Terminator has some pretty ropey effects that can be quite jarring (particularly on Blu-Ray) but, in the context of history, it's good for its budget and era. It reminds me of the first Alien movie in a lot of ways; slower, more methodical and far more restrained, but also more creative. Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn't quite got his mechanical mannerisms down, and Linda Hamilton is stuck playing a stereotypical screaming blonde for 90% of the runtime, but the potential is all there.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is every bit as brilliant as everybody says it is. End of.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines feels way more clinical than its predecessors, but I've always liked it, and I think a lot of the common criticisms are unfair. The massive vehicle chase which concludes its first act is spectacular, Kristanna Loken is a great Terminator, and the ending is perfect. I do think that Nick Stahl is slightly miscast as John Connor, but he does okay enough, I guess.

I've never seen Salvation, and long may its absence from my memory continue. I won't bother with Genisys either, because I watched it a few years back and remember being severely underwhelmed, so I'm callin' it. That's my homework finished.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Watched The Last Duel on Disney+ and it was really great actually. It worked well as a pretty damning critique of honour, chivalry and male pride. Jodie Comer was great but not quite as good as whatever the living f**k Ben Affleck’s blonde hair was.

Ralizah

Accidentally traumatized my sister by showing her 70s anime classic Ringing Bell, lol. Kinda shocking to think that was a story intended for children.

@RogerRoger Yeah, like Alien, Terminator is pretty much a straight-up horror movie masquerading as science-fiction. Amazing to think how much T2 shifted the tone of that property.

Edited on by Ralizah

colonelkilgore

Wrath of Man... they don’t films like this any more! I’ve always (well apart from that turgid mess that he made with his then wife Madonna) ‘quite’ liked Guy Ritchie’s output. His movies are never really ‘great’ but normally entertaining... and the same for Stath really. Well, this was definitely a change of pace for Ritchie in particular. I’ve always felt his usual schtick is something akin to a wannabe Tarantino with cockney stylings... well there’s been a definitive shift in his creative energy and this was far more Michael Mann by way of Sam Peckinpah. Now I have nothing (absolutely nothing... he’s an absolute treasure) against Tarantino... but there is only one... and no matter how talented the copycat may be it will always be a pale imitation. This worked though... maybe the final third fell off a little, but films like this are so few and far between these days that it got a pass for that from me. Stath was ‘still’ Stath... but the best kinda Stath.

Great old fashioned revenge ‘em up.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

After not watching it in years I ended up watching The Matrix last night thanks to being reminded about it by that Unreal 5 demo and the new film coming out.

Good grief that was two hours I'm never getting back. Absolutely dull as dishwater. It was even worse then I remembered it being.

I really don't get what anyone sees in this series 😧

I also watched Detective Pikachu over the weekend and it was better then the Matrix that's for damn sure.

It was a bit disappointing though.

Most of the Pokemon models translated rather well into a more realistic style I thought but the model for Gengar (one of my favourite Pokémon) was really quite off putting.

Didn't think a whole lot of the lead character Tim (Honestly I thought his friend in the beginning was much more interesting) & I personally thought the news reporter girl was an awful actress.

Ryan Reynolds was pretty good as Detective Pikachu though not gonna lie & Bill Nighy, naturally, played his part rather well too (Even if him being the bad guy was rather obvious).

The voice they got for Mewtwo wasn't great either & the final act was... Bizzare.

The whole Bill turning into a Pokemon in Red and Blue is a really weird event that's never brought up in the games again from what I recall... So... The final act involving this by giving Mewtwo this power to merge a human's soul with a Pokémon's body seemed REALLY out of place to me other thenthe script needing the bad guy to have some kind of world changing villain plot.

The scene with Mr Mime was probably the best, and funniest, bit in the movie. Tim miming pouring gasoline over him and threatening to drop a match to get it to spill info was a lot more darkly humorous then I was expecting the film to get

The "Torterra garden" scene was pretty nice too (even if it went on for far too long).

Not bad but not fantastic either.

Honestly I thought the Sonic film was miles better though despite me being much more nostalgic and sentimental over Pokémon then the blue blur

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It’s been a while since I watched The Matrix, but I recall it being pretty decent at the time. However, I never watched any of the sequels, so that’s telling. I must not have liked it that much. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy it never ceases to amaze me quite how differently that people can react to various forms of art and entertainment. The Matrix (& The Matrix Reloaded… which is pretty universally loathed btw) absolutely rocked my world back when they released. I still make sure that I have a day free every couple of years when I watch the trilogy and all the Animatrix shorts.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

I don't recall thinking much about the film when it orignally released to be honest but I definitely didn't consider it as badly as I did yesterday @colonelkilgore & @Th3solution!

Style over substance in my opinion... and it doesn't really have any style either

I think I watched one of the sequels that has the twins in but... Yeah not for me in the slightest 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I also didn’t like The Matrix but I was about 8 years old and drank two whole banana milkshakes and was throwing them back up the whole night 😂

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah it’s just the way of things... there are probably a load of things you love that I can’t stand too. It’s just interesting how varied us humans’ likes and dislikes can be. I guess it’s why proper art and entertainment reviews in the academic realm never really state whether something is ‘good’ or ‘bad’... they just discuss technique and inspiration etc.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic