Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 721 to 740 of 2,131

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, the shooting is much more casual and approachable, there are some weapons with finer aiming than others, but I don’t recall really precise sniper type rifles, but I could be forgetting some. But yes, the frenetic pace of the firefights lend to less accuracy needed.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution thought that might be the case. I'm hoping that it might have that Pixar vibe where although it's aimed at kids, there is a subtle humour for the parents too.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@Th3solution The cards are just scratch cards. Some rewards lums, some give you creatures, some give Origin levels.

It’s all pot luck but you’ll unlock everything eventually. A fun little use of the touch pad though.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

Thrillho Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Kidfried Thanks for the tips! And I hope you have realized much of that post was written with tongue firmly in cheek. Yes, I am a little frustrated and worried I may not be able to ‘git gud’ enough to really make it through the game, but I exaggerated a little for dramatic effect 😜

Ha ha I assumed you were exaggerating somewhat @Th3solution

Th3solution wrote:

Thanks for the guidance though (that’s what this Game Club is all about after all! Peer support and sharing the experience. It’s how I got through several other games I otherwise never would have enjoyed like Bloodstained and Resident Evil) and it helps to know a little of the basics. I did remember from my first attempt that the worlds / paintings seemed to pop open randomly and had very little order to how they needed to be done, and that’s largely why I took the role of the ‘blue arsed fly’ and flittered around the way I did 😂. I think I buzzed into a Venus fly trap though.

You're welcome sol, hopefully the tips and stuff help out a little. You can just do one world at a time and not bother with the others til you're done (As that's how I played it the first time round) but upon reflection it IS a bit scttershot in the way it opens things up.

Th3solution wrote:

I guess I took a shot at the Quicksand level when I saw that 3-skulls is not even very difficult in the grand scheme of the game where there are 6+ skull levels aplenty. I suppose it’s akin to running into the Cleric Beast on the bridge and thinking, “sheesh, I’m really struggling here and this is just the first few hours of this game?! How much harder will it get?!”

Seeing as I was going to make a similar reference in my original post but to Dark Souls... Then yeah I think it's pretty apt comparison from yourself 😄

Th3solution wrote:

And I have never been good at platformers. Well, I’m not especially good at anything but walking sims and visual novels 😛, but I’m an especially less-than-average platformer. The reaction time and twitch muscle responses don’t quite gel with my analytic and slow personality.

Nevertheless, I expect it will become easier. I think there is a modicum of enjoyment so far, and I want to at least try some of the vaunted musical levels I’ve read about.

Yeah though I didn't really get into gaming til Resident evil on the PS1 I did play a decent bit of Mario Bros on the SNES and I played a fair bit of Spyro, Crash, Rayman (Though the first was ridiculously hard) Ratchet and all other sorts of platformers so it does come pretty naturally to myself. Here's hoping you'll get on with it more as you progress!

-EDIT- (Thrillho beat my response to this by miles thanks to me replying to everything else too 😅)

As for the Lucky tickets It's purely random what they unlock sol.

Well you'll eventually get everything they have to offer of course as they have a set number of rewards and they wouldn't leave you without any levels or whatnot... but ya know... it's a scratch card. It's random. Best scratch them whenever ya get them for the extra stuff

Also (Upon looking up about the creatures apparently they also give lucky tickets by completing the families? I don't recall that but it's probably true)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

Thrillho wrote:

@ralphdibny I think it is something like 40 levels from Origins which isn't all of them but must certainly be plenty! They're not quite the same as they were in Origins either (enemy types are slightly changed for instance).

You certainly get your money's worth from Legends!

@Thrillho cheers for clarification on that! I think I will save playing Legends for when I have run through Origins first. I think there was some console shenanigans going on which is why I didnt buy them at the time of release. Like maybe I didnt have a PS3 when Origins came out and while I did have a PS3 when Legends came out, I hadnt played Origins so I didnt bother getting Legends for Wii U. So, total shenanigans really lol

I'm quite curious to know how the Wii U exclusive features worked actually. I was maybe under the impression that the touch screen stuff applied to one of the characters when you play multiplayer. Is that the case? or do you switch to that character in single player as and when the situation arises in game? Or am i completely off the mark altogether

See ya!

DerMeister

I've been out of commission for most of this week, so I'm only now starting my second run. Still gotta unlock Living Dead Party.

So far I've done the first world, Teensies in Trouble. Very good world to teach the basics of how the game works, but still has some good challenge near the end. Since I've unlocked them during my first run before the game club, I also did the Invaded levels, which are challenging "race to the finish" type levels that award Teensies depending on how fast you finish the level. Since I've gotten used to the game, I managed to get some of the Teensies I missed the first time, though I'm still missing a few. The Queen in How To Shoot Your Dragon in particular seems to evade me.

Also for the heck of it, I got a gold cup (or at least I'm in the running for one) on the Daily Extreme Challenge. If anyone beats my score of 1,189m, they get an imaginary back pat.

I can confirm @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy knows her stuff, so if anyone has trouble understanding the game they can refer to her post. To add on some things-

-If you're just having trouble, instead of running through each painting set before doing the next (y'know, standard level procedure), try to do the easier levels in each painting set before doing the harder ones if they're unlocked. I can't remember the exact order levels unlock, sadly. At least, try to press on. The game is actually pretty good at subtly teaching you how it works as you play.
-The lums and Teensies from the Origins levels count towards your total, so I'm assuming you can play those to unlock Legends levels as well.
-Definitely, definitely search as much of the level as possible, since the game is very fond of hiding Teensies or giving "gotcha" moments to prevent you from getting them. If a part of a level even vaguely looks like you can touch it, go for it. Keep those eyes peeled.
-Creatures are meant for giving you more lums as you unlock them.

Anyhoo, that's all from me right now. gonna try to do Toad Story before work tomorrow to make it a week. Hope everyone enjoys themselves!

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

crimsontadpoles

@ralphdibny The Wii U version uses the touchscreen for the levels where you're playing as Murfy, guiding Globox. It involves swiping the screen to cut ropes, drag objects etc. Plus if you tap on a rotatable object, it'll then rotate as you rotate the controller.

I assume other versions of the game changed it to use buttons and analogue sticks for those levels?

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

Ralizah

I should pick this back up. I 100%ed everything years ago, but I still have months of daily and weekly challenges to grind before I get my level up awesomeness up to 11 for that last trophy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

I seem to have unlocked Olympus Maximus before even finishing the first world. I don’t quite remember Teensies being this frequent!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@crimsontadpoles cheers for letting me know! 👍 I definitely think I'll track down a Wii U copy if I ever get around to playing these games

See ya!

Th3solution

Another stupid newb question —
Is there any advantage to using certain heroes or is it strictly cosmetic? I’ve been playing with Barbara and her reach, power, speed, and hovering mobility do seem to be the same as Rayman’s. I’ve got about a dozen or more heroes unlocked but can’t really tell if hitboxes, etc are much different.
Also, I have now completed Teensies in Trouble and thoroughly enjoyed the last level, “Classic Rock” I think it’s called. I guess that was one of the musical levels people talk about. It was much more fun! Now I see that this game is sort of a rhythm game of sorts and the music makes it actually much easier for me to know when to jump, hit, and run. Very enjoyable.

I still got pretty frustrated at the dragon boss level and I just am not very good at this game in general. But I’m liking it more than I did before. The movement and controls are too ‘floaty’ for my taste though.

Edit: Also, do most people use the analog stick or the D-pad in this game. I have been using the D-Pad and it’s seems to be more precise, but I’m mashing so hard I’m getting a sore thumb 😅

Awesomeness Level 3, btw. 😎

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution I can’t say that I really used other heroes other than Rayman. They have slightly different abilities but nothing so dramatic to make a huge difference.

I think the most I did was play with the character with the axe to get a trophy for sliding around on it.

Thrillho

crimsontadpoles

@Th3solution I had been using the D-pad, but was having some issues. In some intense parts of Daily Challenges, there were a few times where I thought I pressed down, but Rayman went right. Anyway I've switched to using the analogue stick, and that's working much better for me.

I've been racing through the game, beating the third world and getting level 7 of awesomeness. The song in world 3's music level is one that I'm super fond of, so it was fun to see it pop up here.

ralphdibny

@crimsontadpoles ahh that's pretty lame. I prefer it when the game gives you a choice. Normally I'll use the game pad if it actually has a function though even if it is just an inventory/map or something. Breath of the Wild had nothing displayed on the game pad screen so I just used the pro controller and got out the game pad for the motion puzzles and some of the trickier archery challenges.

@Th3solution this may be overkill but I used to use these finger bandages for when I played mortal Kombat X. They are kind of stretchy cylinder bandages and they really help prevent pain and callouses on the thumb! I got them from Boots which is kind of like a chemist/pharmacy chain over here. Maybe there's an equivalent store over in the states that can help you with your d-pad woes!

See ya!

DerMeister

@Th3solution The heroes are just cosmetic.

@crimsontadpoles You know what I find weird? The Switch port uses buttons for Murfy's actions despite having function for touch controls.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Reading your initial thoughts on the previous page, I flashed back to when you bounced hard on Sonic Mania, citing a general lack of comfort with 2D platformers. I'm pleased to see you've managed to stick with Rayman Legends enough to find some enjoyment and yes, the music levels are what I think everybody remembers best about the experience!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah. I had Sonic Mania flashbacks too. The quick timing requirements feel similar at parts. In fact, the whole gameplay loop is reminiscent of my Sonic experience.

My obsessive gaming tendencies is making it hard to just move past a level where there is still Teensies left unfounded, but I feel like my best hope for enjoyment is to skirt through all the levels and worlds I can and only replay those that I really fall in love with. I think this approach will at least keep me engaged to see if things click even more over time. Who knows, maybe if I end up enjoying this enough then I’ll revisit Sonic Mania.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic