Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 701 to 720 of 2,131

ralphdibny

@nessisonett cheers for the tag, I'll sit this one out as I haven't played origins and dont own either game

@Thrillho is all of origins included in this release? Like could you play origins in its entirety first and then move on to the Legends portion. Or do you kind of just unlock levels from Origins to play but not get the story (if there was one)

See ya!

LobsterJohnson

I will be bowing out of this one early, not a fan. See you all on the next one.

LobsterJohnson

nessisonett

Quick aside to everyone, the Big in Japan sale is back on PS Store so if you see anything there that would be perfect for Game Club make sure to drop it in here! I probably should do this each big sale, so that we aren’t hamstrung by PS Plus games.

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Trisque @Col_McCafferty @DerMeister

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

Rayman Legends is brilliant; the game released the week I got my PS4, so it's the first game I bought for the system (aside from already having some Plus games and cross stuff). I put a lot of hours into that game, even into its challenges, trying to earn the platinum, so I don't myself replaying it very soon, but it's one of the greats nonetheless. It's the best Rayman game by a mile!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@mookysam I didn't know it was a Wii U game first and foremost; that's interesting! Thanks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@ralphdibny I think it is something like 40 levels from Origins which isn't all of them but must certainly be plenty! They're not quite the same as they were in Origins either (enemy types are slightly changed for instance).

You certainly get your money's worth from Legends!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The asymmetric multiplayer and touchscreen controls actually added a lot to the game, it’s only playing the PS4 version that I really appreciate how unique and fun that version was!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Well I've beaten 1 world. I went for the second world Toad Story first as I find it the most boring one of the lot with no real interesting gimmicks, visuals or even the level design really.

The final level Orchestral Chaos is still rather delightful though!

I've done some of the daily challenges so far, managing to get all silver cups so far. I don't think I'll ever get a gold (Especially Diamond) for those though as they're all rather extreme scores you need to beat

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The musical levels are great! The 8 bit versions at the end of the game are devilishly tough though..

And yeah, it took me a fair while to get daily challenge gold for the trophy. At least with a few different game modes you can find one you do better in.

Thrillho

Th3solution

So.... early impressions and experience —

I spent some time with Rayman Legends today. As I mentioned before, I had given the game an attempt a year or two ago but just didn’t quite gel with it. I didn’t remember hating it, it was just not holding my attention enough to stick with at the time. But sometimes moods change and mindsets alter. Perhaps this time it would be different...

I really only played a few hours back then, so rather than start over, I decided to pick back up where I left off many months ago. I had to go through that sense of confusion that we are all aware of when we jump back into a game we haven’t played in a long time. “What do these buttons do? Where was I? What are the goals I was working toward?...”.
It was about an hour of trial and error as I mashed every button and jumped into every painting looking for something familiar to remind me and bring back the muscle memory I surely once had for this game.

Unfortunately, one of the main gripes I had with the game when I played it the first time was my confusion about what order to do all these different levels and modes. If I felt that way then, well I certainly felt that way now, and then some.
So what ensued was a bit of random scattershot gaming. Somehow my first destination that I clicked on was the “Daily Challenge.” After a few pathetic runs of that and eeking out a bronze rating, I figured I’d had enough of that and explored the gallery for something more substantial.
The first painting I saw was the “Origins” one and I remembered people talking about that being possible good early content, so I tried that to begin with. After about 3 runs of the first level and successfully freeing all the little dudes (Lums?) from their cages, I was feeling good about this area and wanted to move on to the next level within the “Origins” space, but it didn’t open up like I thought it would after clearing the first one. So I guess you open each sub painting within the Origins painting by doing stuff outside of it? It was a little confusing. So I left that space and spent the rest of my time progressing through “Teensies in Trouble”, where I had already cleared like 4 levels already, so I went on to a quicksand themed level (I forget the exact name of it) and it was a 3-skull rated difficulty, maybe a little much for a newb? ...but I was just throwing it all out there and seeing what would stick with me.

It was pretty hard.

Well, more than pretty hard, actually quite frustrating. I persevered and completed the level finally after multiple respawns, but it wasn’t all that fun.

So I left that area and went to do some side activities to “Rescue Aurora” and then “Rescue Elysia”, the latter of which was another really frustrating timed level and just way too rage inducing. Again, I stuck with it and did finally get it done with all the little Lum characters saved and unlocked Elysia.

But man... the timed nature of these more difficult levels is really not my cup of tea. Whether it be the firewall chasing you or the quicksand, it’s pretty irritating and distressing for me. And I’m pretty ticked that the game doesn’t let you speed ahead of the destructive force chasing you, as I noted that the faster I ran through the level, the faster the wall of fire (or sand) chased me. With the “rubber banding” there is no advantage of going fast; there is no way to get ahead of the demise inducing phenomenon during the straighter shots so as to have a little more time on the complex jumps (...much less the complex jumps that have to be timed to avoid some other enemy or trap, all the while pressing another button at the perfect time so your little companion can move yet another trap out of the way so you can land perfectly on a tiny pedestal and immediately jump again to avoid the wall of fire and then immediately do the whole 5 things at once within a split second again and again until you reach the end.... 😩). At times it felt like I was trying to pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time while walking and chewing gum. And this was just the 3rd easiest difficulty?!?

So it looks like my skills and tolerance for the game is limited to 3-skull difficulty for now. I notice that latter paintings are rated with 6 skulls and maybe even more and I just can’t imagine even the slimmest possibility that I’ll have the skill or patience to complete them.

It’s just the first day back at it, so I’m not giving up yet, but so far I’m still fairly lukewarm on Rayman Legends. I hope it starts getting fun soon rather than feeling like a lesson in multi-tasking at the NASA space training program.

I did rank up to Awesomeness 2, so at least there’s that to show for my efforts. 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Tagging @colonelkilgore since we had been talking about this earlier and you said you were curious how I’d get along with Rayman. ...see above. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution The Origins levels are unlocked through scratch cards the game gives you (I forget what triggers them).

I used to finish a main world and then go play the Origins levels I’d unlocked before moving to the next world of the main game. I forget when the Invasion levels unlock as well but they can be really tricky too.

Luckily the lack of a real storyline means jumping all over the place isn’t going to feel too discombobulating but I imagine leaping back into the game like you have would feel that way.

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah it doesn't sound like my thing in all honesty... to those who enjoy it though I salute you! As I stated earlier (in another thread) I just don't enjoy 2D games anymore... and in addition to that I just don't play cartoony games either. Although I am going to try Ratchet & Clank just because Sony 1st Party exclusives have become appointment-playing in my house but.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Kidfried

@Th3solution If you don't like it now, I don't expect that to change anytime soon. For me I played the game first on an in-store demo on the Wii U and was immediately sold; even though I didn't really like the Wii U controls for that game.

I think the game was designed to be enjoyed the moment you start the game. It's not a slow-burner at all! Maybe it's best to move on then?

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

If you made so little progress @Th3solution I dunno why you didn't just restart it, especially if you were so confused about the layout of things? That way instead of bumbling about in a comical fashion everything would've been gradually unlocked and you wouldn't have been running about like a blue arsed fly

Perhaps start with the very first level of Teensies in Trouble so you can familiarise yourself with the playstyle properly instead of the quicksand level or the rescue levels? I just don't get why you'd continue to struggle/choose a level so hard when you don't remember anything about the game? 😄

I'll give you some pointers, correct some things and answer some of the questions you had too

• Teensies are the blue guys in cages
  • Lums are the yellow/pink things you collect throughout the levels.
  • There are two teensies (The king and Queen) in every standard level that are usually well hidden and behind a special door (With a little challenge) compared to standard teensies. Most levels have lots of nooks and crannies. Even the very first level has a secret on the very first screen.
  • Back to Origins levels are earned by collecting lucky tickets
  • Lucky tickets are obtained by getting 450 lums from standard levels or 75/125 from shorter levels (Like bosses or the rescue levels). They can also be earned by completing a world.
  • Lucky tickets can also give you lums, creatures (They don't really matter though I think) & Teensies.
  • The amount of Teensies you save unlocks further stages/Other worlds/Rescue missions etc.

So you'll want to collect as many lums and Teensies as you possibly can from a stage. 10 teensies and 600 lums is your goal... But getting at least 450 lums and 8 teensies will be ok enough for progression.

Like Thrilho says there's no story at all beyond the opening cutscene so just jump around the levels of Teensies In Trouble, Toad Story, Fiesta De Los Muertos, 10,000 Lums Under The Sea and Olympus Maximus. The first levels of each stage are typically pretty easy. Don't worry about the challenges/rescue missions you might unlock for now til you get more used to it.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Written like a true teacher! Good stuff! Well, maybe not the blue arsed fly comment, but that did make me chuckle! 🤣

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Written like a true teacher! Good stuff! Well, maybe not the blue arsed fly comment, but that did make me chuckle! 🤣

... Well being off work at the moment I had to let my teacher instincts out somehow @JohnnyShoulder! And thanks... I, rarely, have my moments of wit!

Gremio108

Ah, I love Rayman Legends. I'll try and play a bit of it over the next few weeks in honour of Game Club.

I've been looking forward to a new entry for the last few years, but it seems like hopes are dwindling

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Thrillho @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Kidfried Thanks for the tips! And I hope you have realized much of that post was written with tongue firmly in cheek. Yes, I am a little frustrated and worried I may not be able to ‘git gud’ enough to really make it through the game, but I exaggerated a little for dramatic effect 😜

Thanks for the guidance though (that’s what this Game Club is all about after all! Peer support and sharing the experience. It’s how I got through several other games I otherwise never would have enjoyed like Bloodstained and Resident Evil) and it helps to know a little of the basics. I did remember from my first attempt that the worlds / paintings seemed to pop open randomly and had very little order to how they needed to be done, and that’s largely why I took the role of the ‘blue arsed fly’ and flittered around the way I did 😂. I think I buzzed into a Venus fly trap though.
I guess I took a shot at the Quicksand level when I saw that 3-skulls is not even very difficult in the grand scheme of the game where there are 6+ skull levels aplenty. I suppose it’s akin to running into the Cleric Beast on the bridge and thinking, “sheesh, I’m really struggling here and this is just the first few hours of this game?! How much harder will it get?!”

And I have never been good at platformers. Well, I’m not especially good at anything but walking sims and visual novels 😛, but I’m an especially less-than-average platformer. The reaction time and twitch muscle responses don’t quite gel with my analytic and slow personality.

Nevertheless, I expect it will become easier. I think there is a modicum of enjoyment so far, and I want to at least try some of the vaunted musical levels I’ve read about.

Quick question though. So the four leaf clover lucky ticket thingy — I earned a couple while completing the first Origins level and during another level, but it didn’t automatically open up the next Origin level, that I could tell. I scratched off the first ticket to earn a “creature”, but I held off on the second one because I wasn’t sure if you can use the ticket to “purchase” levels? And it wasn’t clear if it was one or the other, like you can either scratch the ticket and earn a creature or you can stockpile these to use for opening up new levels or purchasing other perks? I wasn’t sure.

@colonelkilgore I like the visual aesthetic of this game. The characters are quite unique and well animated. The worlds are colorful and have a clever design. But there is definitely a mood that it fills which may not appeal to all. Ratchet & Clank similarly has a colorful cartoonish feel at face value, but is quite beautiful. The three dimensionality will still make it appealing for you I think. The gunplay is really great and although it’s definitely less gritty and realistic, it’s fantastic from a gameplay perspective.

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution you're probably right in regards to R&C, I've got the PS4 one to play first (god knows when...) but yeah I have heard that one at least plays beautifully and it obviously has the 'x' plane of dimensionality too. One thing it does seem to miss though is 'fine-aim', maybe the anarchic frenetic-ness of it means a fine-aim is redundant I don't know...

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic