Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,181 to 2,200 of 2,454

nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

What’s the latest in Europe/UK as far as COVID cases and society returning to normalcy?
It seems like the US has pretty quickly been heading back to “normal” state and most public spaces are gathering again. However, I’m hearing that the new strains have some resistance to vaccines and so for the first time in a while the case counts and hospitalizations are trending up again. So I was curious if you’re seeing similar things on the other side of the pond.

The Olympics ought to be interesting. Not sure if they have decided about crowds yet. I hear Japan has a really low vaccination rate, so not sure I’d want to cram into a stadium or a subway with a bunch of people from all over the world. Seems a perfect set up for spreading a pandemic — bring a bunch of people together, mix them up and spread things around for a couple weeks, then let them all go back home and spread it back to their home countries. For a virus trying to reach maximal exposure it would be the ideal set up.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution Are the Olympics happening? I wasn't paying attention.

Here in Poland daily confirmed new cases are down to under 100 (from a 35k peak in early April) but not much has changed yet. Small events (mostly outdoor) are starting to happen now. There's a pretty low attendance cap but if I understand correctly, fully vaccinated people don't count towards it.
Still gotta wear a mask in public transport and indoor public spaces.

Voltan

Octane

Cases are surging again after night clubs have been opened. We went from 300 or so last week to around 5000/6000 yesterday. I just had myself tested as well. Not feeling so well today.

Octane

Th3solution

@Voltan Honestly I’m not following news very closely either, but I’ve caught a few tidbits and I know the Olympic trials in some of the events have been occurring over here in preparation for it. However, I’ve not heard definitively about the Olympics actually firmly happening, but all signs point that they will. Rumor was that the competition will occur but with no spectators?

@Octane Wow, hopefully your test is negative and you get feeling better. I have noticed that concurrent with increased cases of COVID, all the other viruses that were kept in check in 2020 while we stayed shut in are now popping up again. The colds, flu, sinus infections and the like. So hopefully that’s all you have.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

andreoni79

Good news: today I'm finally going to get my first shot of vaccine, with paid time off.
Bad news: Sunday I'll work 22.30-02.30 so I'll be able to watch only the first half ot the Euro final... 😭
@Voltan Olympics will have no crowds.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Octane

@Th3solution Yeah, that's true, but the thing is, I keep my distance, and limit social gatherings. COVID spreads much faster than regular flu and whatnot, so if anything, I expect to get a positive result later today. Would be a bummer, cause I can't use quarantine at the moment at all, but it is what it is.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Ugh, that sucks man. Well, someone said the new strain that are spreading (I think they are calling it delta. Or is it now lambda… whatever) is more infectious but less deadly than the early original strain. Not sure the accuracy of that statement, but if you have it I sure hope that it ends up a mild case!

Kidfried

@Octane Hope you feel a bit better soon! No time to be feeling mediocre during weekends.

I am curious where things are going to go from here, but on the other hand most people I am close too will be vaccinated within a month from now, so I am stressing a lot less than I did last year.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Octane Feel better soon, buddy.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane Hope you get well soon.

@Th3solution The lifting of most Covid guidance and legal restrictions in England is expected on 19 July.

The move will be confirmed on Monday, depending on a review of data.

So that means no face mask required by law and social distancing is scrapped, apart from in places such as hospitals. Also means we will no longer have to work from home, although my work has confirmed full capacity at our offices will not be at least until September.

Personally I'm still not comfortable go to pubs and stuff just yet. Maybe I will feel more confident once I've had my second jab, which is next month brought forward from the original date in September .

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Th3solution I wouldn't be worried about vaccine resistance but it's getting both of them that is vital. The tweets below are from someone who works for the Financial Times newspaper and has been excellent at collating and presenting information on Covid throughout the pandemic. The numbers here back up my opening sentence. And even the levels with the Astrazeneca giving 60% protection against symptomatic infection would be seen as good many other vaccines.

From a UK perspective, the opening up so soon is ridiculous. Things are already fairly normal again (or they are to me but I am still being cautious about things) so I can't see why we don't wait for another 6-8 weeks until the double jabbed numbers are even better.

I have felt pretty safe the last couple of months in restaurants etc with the current guidelines in place and things like increased outdoor seating and table service have been great (although I can appreciate that it must be a nightmare for staff in restaurants and bars having to do full table service at times).

@nessisonett All I had side effect wise from Pfizer was a dead arm for 3 or 4 days after my first and nothing after my second.

@Octane Fingers crossed for you. Some people have had stinking colds recently so fingers crossed it turns out to be "just" that.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Someone said that Pfizer is starting trials for a third dose after 6 months. Which also coincides with another rumor that ongoing development is occurring for a new version of the vaccine which covers the variants. Wouldn’t it be a dumpster fire if we end up having to get four shots (jabs) within a 9 month period? Yeesch….

nessisonett

@Zeldafan79 So you’ll refuse to take the vaccine because of one death? Covid’s killed over 4 million people and will continue to unless people stop looking for excuses not to be vaccinated. One death is tragic, millions of deaths is catastrophic.

Zeldafan79

Removed - inappropriate

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

nessisonett

@Zeldafan79 While it’s your choice not to get the vaccine, it’s a supremely silly choice as it doesn’t just affect you. Unless you literally don’t leave your house, you’re endangering everyone you come into contact with as well as yourself. As for ‘Nazi regime’, it doesn’t surprise me that you’re coming out with crap like that and linking to Fox News articles. Lord knows how Biden can be a Nazi and a Communist at the same time but Fox will have you believe it.

Zeldafan79

@nessisonett

I do hardly ever leave my house unless i want a quick meal or something and when i do go out i never get right up in peoples faces like some idiot. I was social distancing before it was cool. As for fox news i didn't choose exactly that site it's just the first thing that popped up on google. It's my understanding that fox are the ones telling everyone lies and covering for mr. magoo's every mistake like he's Jesus christ or something and it's the orange man they hate.

Either way with this country right now and it's evil overlords we won't get our basic human rights back anytime soon. There's a vaccine and people still put on three masks while sitting in their cars with the windows rolled up. I never knew sheep could drive.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Ryall

@Zeldafan79 You’re evil overlords want to get enough people vaccinated so that they can open up without the health care system collapsing. Once they can do that they aren’t going to care if the remaining unvaccinated population gets cut to ribbons. I really wouldn’t want to go into the next winter unvaccinated.

Ryall

Sorry, this topic has been locked.