Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,454

Voltan

Mine's AstraZeneca - I know a few people that had it and had flu-like side effects for one or more days but apparently Pfizer is the one statistically most likely to cause mild side effects and Moderna is the safest one.
We shall see

Voltan

zupertramp

@MarlonJohan maybe if I were smarter I'd see a difference between this and any other fiat currency, but I don't. All of it only holds value because people have agreed it does. And the likelihood I'll live to see the day that everyone stops believing in the value of the US dollar or the Euro or the British pound has got to be somewhere near impossible.

Idk, maybe if I were in someplace like Turkey I'd see it differently. As it is now the crypto craze seems comparable to the fearmongering doomsdayers peddling gold on Fox News.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

Also anyone worried about gov debt, at least in Europe and US, should check out Stephanie Kelton's work regarding Modern Monetary Theory.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Crypto’s also needlessly draining with its environmental footprint. Same as these bloody stupid NFTs. What started as some sort of middle finger to banks has just become its own culture of nonsense perpetuated by new-money billionaires instead of old-money billionaires.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett I've seen the environmental downsides mentioned frequently (especially with NFTs) but it's a critique I don't follow. Which isn't to say I don't believe it, I just don't understand and haven't cared enough to educate myself. But, devil's advocate, I'd ask isn't there a similar footprint to paper money/coin manufacture?

nessisonett

@zupertramp Well crypto won’t ever replace traditional money and let’s face it, unless they’re massively unrealistic then the progenitors of crypto believe that too. So it will always be an additional environmental impact than replacing the existing issues with traditional money. Even then, just mining Bitcoin will increase the global temperature by 2 degrees Celsius in the next 20 years. It just doesn’t really strike me as a particularly helpful endeavour at this crucial moment in time for so many communities affected by climate change.

Rondoooo9

That's where I personally and many others believe XRP/Ripple will come into play, once cleared of this SEC lawsuit. & as of now a judge has ordered the SEC must prove why bitcoin, doge and others were not claimed to be investment securities while Ripple was. Not to mention the ex head of the SEC(the one who brought this lawsuit) and his recent shady private investments/maneuvers. It just got really interesting.

Rondoooo9

Voltan

Alright - getting stabbed in 1.5 hours. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my bluetooth earbuds.

Voltan

Voltan

Turned out I got the Pfizer vaccine after all (my appointment was originally for AstraZeneca), which means I'll get my 2nd jab sooner.
So far so good, I feel normal.
Didn't notice any difference to my internet speeds

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan Yeah, my mum got the Pfizer one even though everyone else we know got the AstraZeneca one. Idk how they’re deciding who gets what.

Voltan

@nessisonett It's basically what's available but apparently they don't actually know what's available
When the appointments opened for my age group, it was basically impossible to get one for anything else than AstraZeneca here in the city (Pfizer and Moderna were available in some other regions) but apparently they ran out. I'm not complaining though. If I had the choice I'd probably go with Pfizer anyway.

Voltan

RogerRoger

@Voltan Glad you didn't suffer any side effects, at least not right away. I was expecting half the folks I know to react badly, but it's actually been quite a small minority of 'em, which is encouraging.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

@RogerRoger My arm hurts a little today (which is expected, I think) but so far nothing else.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

I've had my letter from the NHS about booking my vaccination appointment, but still waiting for something more local to pop up. Apparently my sister had a letter from her doctors surgery (which is the same as mine), so will probably just wait for that at this point.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Voltan That's all I got from the Pfizer the first time and even less second time. It does anecdotally seem that the second is worse for people with Pfizer and the first for AstraZeneca but I've not heard of many people having problems for more than 24hrs either way.

Thrillho

Voltan

@Thrillho My parents were both knocked out for a couple days after their first Astra shots. I've also heard about the same happening to some after Pfizer but yeah, anecdotally it seems to be mostly what you said.
I guess I'm also feeling a little more fatigued than usually at this time of day but it's nothing worrying. I might take a little nap (my cat has the right idea)

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan All I need to know is if it has in any way impaired your Returnal skills. Perhaps it has enhanced them? Have you developed super powers? Glow in the dark? X-ray vision?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam

My reaction to the first AstraZeneca jab was horrific. It does anecdotally seem to be better for the second jab, thankfully. I'm due to have my second one early next month. My siblings should be offered other jabs now the government have decided to not give under-40's the AZ one.

@JohnnyShoulder Mine was through my GP at a clinic they'd set up in town with other local surgeries. They haven't rung me about the second one yet, but I'm going to wait as on the NHS website the only available places are in Birmingham.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam Oof, sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to your first jab. My 73 year old mum had her second Pfizer jab a couple of weeks ago, and that wiped her out for the rest of the day. She was fine the next day however. She just got a sore arm from her first jab.

I don't drive, so am limited to where I can go.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

My brother got his second shot & my mother her first yesterday (both Pfizer). Only holdout now is my father.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sorry, this topic has been locked.