Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 2,454

zupertramp

This is admittedly trivial, so I haven't really complained, but since the numbers have dropped (much to my surprise) I don't feel like as much of a jerk for bringing this up.

So here goes. My county releases these infographics regarding the covid numbers. And there's this particular aspect of it that really bothers. Just wondering if I'm being too nitpicky.

Untitled

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Voltan

@zupertramp You mean the fact that they include "probable" (so unconfirmed) cases in the main number?

Voltan

Voltan

Btw, my parents both got their 1st dose of vaccine today. I'm won't be getting mine until at least June or July, probably. Maybe even later.

Voltan

Ralizah

@mookysam I got my second shot recently and only experienced moderate soreness in my arm. Hopefully that's not a bad sign.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

I don’t see me getting my vaccine for a long time but I’m cool with it to be honest. It’s better they do more vulnerable people first.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

Yeah was kinda wondering how everyone was getting on with the vaccines.

It's really way too much work to get vaccinated at the moment and similar to @nessisonett I don't want to make it harder for those more vulnerable to get one. Like my in-laws have only gotten theirs within the past few days and they're both over 65 with health issues. I guess everyone needs to get it but seems weird it's open to everyone now.

Have had people report just having a little soreness in the arm and others saying they felt as if they'd been hit by a truck afterward.

@Voltan nah it wasn't that. It jumps out at me but if I'm the only who sees it perhaps I'm making a mountain out of molehill, as they say. It's not really covid related anyway tbf.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Is it that you're only allowed to need medical assistance from the county during weekday business hours? Not much of a hotline if it's closed evenings and weekends (when most people are gonna want to gather, mingle and double-check the rules).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

I’ve been double Pfizer-ed; had a pretty sore arm for a few days after the first one and then pretty much nothing after the second.

My wife was knocked for six for about 24hrs after her second one and some colleagues had the same.

Thrillho

zupertramp

@RogerRoger no but good eye. I can barely even read that lol.

nessisonett

@zupertramp Is it the O having a mask on. Some Grade A junior marketing right there.

zupertramp

@nessisonett I actually like the little mask. Definitely corny but I'll take what I can get in regards to mask encouragement.

Th3solution

@zupertramp Hmmm... my guess — it’s the fact that “deaths” are represented by a crucifix? Perhaps it’s a little presumptive and insensitive for all the non-Christians who’ve succumbed to COVID.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Th3solution exactly.

nessisonett

@Th3solution @zupertramp Oh wow, being the incredibly lapsed Catholic I am, I did not pick up on that. Crosses are always used for deaths because I assume it’s supposed to look like a Christian grave. Although it’s only a crucifix if the big man’s on there. The Vatican’s pretty cool though, other than the preserved bodies in glass caskets. Which I asked my RE teacher about back in high school and he had no idea what I was talking about. I’m pretty certain I didn’t make it up.

Voltan

@zupertramp Ah, I'm from Poland so I'm too used to seeing crosses everywhere, I guess
You're right though

Voltan

Th3solution

@nessisonett Ah, yeah, so it is - ‘crucifix’ does mean the cross has the image of Jesus on it; that’s simply a cross. Which is confusing because the [formerly blue, now monotone] X button on the PS controller is called the ‘cross’ button, so I wasn’t sure if other cultures called the Christian cross a ‘cross.’

@zupertramp I agree the image of the cross for a death marker is a bit narrow-minded in the multicultural and diverse world we live in, although I’m trying to think of another icon they could have used. Other images representing death would probably come across as even more insensitive. 🤔 Perhaps some flowers or the image of a setting sun...

I also find it weird how they have ‘net active cases’ as a minus (-) sign, and it took me a second glance to figure that out. And the ICU is represented by the image of a doctor, which is also a little strange given doctors are involved at all levels of the disease.

——

As far as vaccines and COVID activity, it is encouraging how much more accessible the vaccines have become and that things really have calmed down. I suspect there will be a booster shot within the next year which will have to cover the new variants though. I wonder if we’ll ever have live as “normal” again. I’m willing to wear masks in public for the rest of my life, but I kind of want to have big sporting events and large public gatherings (concerts, conferences, parties) again at some point.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think the need for a mask will lessen the more people get vaccinated. I certainly hope so and will be glad to see the back of them. Last I heard was 60% of the people have recieved their jab over here.

In the UK a series of test events have been planned, allowing a few thousand people into stadiums for certain sporting events. I can't see myself going to anywhere like a pub or anything like that for a good while yet. I just don't trust the people that operate these places or the general public to adhere to whatever rules are in place.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

And frankly I am fed up with masks, I'll wear one if I have to but I really don't want it to be a normal thing.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Good lord that would be morbid. But kinda hilarious too.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.