Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,454

Thrillho

@nessisonett That is pretty ridiculous for schooling. As for homeworking @JohnnyShoulder some businesses will want people back in ASAP for the classic reason of "but that's how we've always done it" and some managers can't manage unless they're directly standing over people.

I think things will go back to more 50/50 but does that mean everyone in on the same days or random little groups in for the sake of it? I wonder if businesses will also realise paying thousands/millions on office space is a thing of the past but could this have a knock on effect of realising you don't need people even based in the UK if things move online more?

There are still the problems of home/work boundaries being more blurred and I've heard a few people say that's even more so if their business is across different timezones as they're expected to contribute more outside of "office hours" now.

Overall, I think the old status quo will end up prevailing for most.

Thrillho

GoodGame

A PSN friend of mine contracted Covid in January. He was in hospital but died within 4 weeks. He was only 48.
No funeral til March 19th though as there is such a backlog
Three people I knew have died of this thing. It's a shame they weren't in time for the vaccine.

Current Level - 55

PSN: wR_sixtee6

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho For my work there are starting off with limited capacity so social distancing can be in place. And for my team we have shifted a few things round so all our can can be done remotely. Just that things like being trained on a new system is not ideal trying to be done remotely.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LieutenantFatman

@GoodGame
Sorry to hear that. A couple of people I was close to died during this pandemic. Not from the virus itself but it causes complications such as not being able to attend funerals. Difficult times.

LieutenantFatman

Voltan

Just learned my big brother (and his girlfriend) tested positive and so did the drummer in one of my bands. The bass player in the same band had it a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen either of them in about a week before their symptoms so I'm probably safe but seems like we went from "I hear a friend of a friend might've had it" to several people in a close social circle pretty quick.

Voltan

RogerRoger

@GoodGame Huge condolences, from somebody with an unfortunately similar tally. Am also sorry to hear that @LieutenantFatman has suffered a few complicated losses, as well.

Sobering stuff in the week everybody here seems to have said "meh, we're bored of this now" and started openly flouting the restrictions. I went shopping first thing this morning and had to bottle up a lot of rage as I saw example after example of dangerous indifference (and if that was during the relative emptiness of 0630 hrs. then I dread to think how bad it got once everybody else woke up).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, I’ve noticed more people ignoring the rules too. It’s frustrating, the more people do it then the longer before we can open back up.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

Same here, people dgaf anymore

Voltan

mookysam

Ventured out for my jab earlier and was perturbed by the hordes of school kids roaming the streets. Surely teenagers understand the concept of social distancing? 😕 Anyhoo, I now have a fever and the shivers and ache from head to toe, but that means it's working.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Yeah, it was navigating past groups of schoolkids which drew my ire, as well. That they're huddled together by the dozen, unmasked, is bad enough, but the total lack of awareness towards others trying to pass them by is the part I can't abide. It's supremely selfish. Anyway, I'm glad you're all jabbed up, and hope the side effects subside soon (if they haven't already)!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Blooper987

@mookysam most of us teenagers understand it but don’t really care. Especially seniors. Last thing we want is governments telling us how to live our last year of high school that we get to spend with friends. They should still respect social distancing tho. I don’t tend to wear a mask most of the time, but I’ll move out of someone’s way if they are walking next to me cause I respect their decision of their health well-being. Least I can do is respect your distance if you want it.

Do hope you feel better soon! Just remember downing bottles of bleach doesn’t tend to work that well.👍

Edited on by Blooper987

Kidfried

@Blooper987 "Last thing we want is governments telling us how to live our last year of high school that we get to spend with friends"

Prepare for adulthood and always being told what to do. :')

Kidfried

Kidfried

Psychological tests have already shown us time and time again that adolescents tend to choose short term satisfaction over long term gain moreso than adults.

Combined with the fact that younger people tend to go out more than adults anyway, and I'm not at all surprised that we see younger people ignoring the rules more often.

I roll my eyes way harder when I see parents ignoring the rules, standing closer to me than anyone should be allowed to (even without corona). They are adults, responsible for a family and way more likely to be infected anyway.

Kidfried

Th3solution

It’s good to see that the immunizations are becoming much more common place and accessible. I think they predict the U.S. could be up to 90% vaccinated by the summer. “Project Warp Speed” was probably better termed “Project Faster Than Ever Before But Still Too Slow” but it seems to finally be kicking in. To be fair though, what the collective international scientific community has accomplished with getting the research and development done so quickly is nothing short of amazing.

It gives me hope for the next common foe that hits the earth. When the aliens attack, we’ll be ready to combat them in 12-16 months.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution As long as they can make a profit, corporations can accomplish almost anything.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, true that nothing would have probably been accomplished without the lure of profitability. It makes me wonder how these other vaccines in development are going to fare. Apparently there are still a handful of other companies’ versions of it that aren’t finished with the studies and they will probably be quite late to the party. That can’t be good for stock prices.

In the U.S. I’ve been pleased to see that the vaccines appear to not cost anything upfront to the individual when they receive it. Health insurances cover it 100% and if a person doesn’t have insurance I think all they need to give is their Social Security number and I think the government fits the bill. If there was a charge, then we’d have no hope of ever getting sufficient vaccination rates to get to herd immunity. We might still not get there. Either way, it looks like we’ll know a lot more over the next 3 months.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam

@RogerRoger I felt pretty wretched all weekend but am now mostly just tired. I wasn't prepared for such an intense reaction! And yeah, this group of schoolgirls walked by me without a care in the world. Kids are one thing, but like @Kidfried says it's shocking how many adults don't seem to care. I think it's often that people are oblivious rather than going out of their way to be *****. I've had people pull their mask down to talk to me and quite a few wearing them below their nose, which drives me up the wall.

@Th3solution They're getting through them extremely swiftly here. The vaccines are free for everyone, but I balk at the cost per dose for the Pfizer and Moderna jabs. Reading how much these pharmaceutical companies will profit from the pandemic and all this human misery makes me sick.
@Kidfried It makes me wonder how many illnesses would have vaccines by now if they affected straight white men more. 🤔

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

mookysam wrote:

It makes me wonder how many illnesses would have vaccines by now if they affected straight white men more. 🤔

That explains why I'm immune to almost all diseases!

Octane

RogerRoger

@mookysam I'm glad to hear you're over the worst of it, at any rate, and hope you're able to rest up and fully recover soon. At least you're protected now (and will be even moreso once you've had the follow-up shot). Let the rest of the oblivious, mask-lowering world get on with killing itself.

Making It So Since 1987

Sorry, this topic has been locked.