Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 2,454

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Good call from Sol up there. I was kinda enjoying the game, but doubt I'd have ever gotten to that answer because, in all honesty, I don't think about religion all that often. You're right, though. Both the US and the UK are so incredibly diverse nowadays, one shouldn't make assumptions on official documentation. If I were producing such bulletins, I'd force myself to think differently.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Most people aren't even religious at all!

Kidfried

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 I'd choose an inconvenience like wearing a mask, over not being able to do something at all, like inviting people over, such is the case here.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried eh, if it’s a requirement I’ll do it but I don’t want to wear a hat every time I go out the door either so if it’s not compulsory I won’t do it unless I feel like it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

zupertramp

Yeah even in a country-bumpkin place like this we have synagogues and mosques. I only know Ramadan just started because my kids go to school with people who observe it. And regarding Covid deaths, presumably not every death has been a Christian one so to default to a cross feels disrespectful, even moreso for those of the Jewish faith imo. Not to mention heathen atheists. And on a government publication no less. Sigh.

But what to put in it's place I'm not sure. Maybe don't put any icons as they are all a little bit nonsensical anyway like @Th3solution pointed out. Maybe just some blue stars or round bullet points. You could even just put the text in circles to highlight it and separate it. Graphic design isn't my forte but I'm thinking there's hundreds of ways to do it.

I pretty much spit up my cereal in laughter at the grim reaper. Just wow. Good call @kyleforrester87 I mean, it's at least equally insensitive to everyone and frankly, drives the point home even more. No sugar coating. I like it lol.

@JohnnyShoulder 60%!? That's really impressive. I'd feel much safer venturing out if we were just somewhere near there. I'm an unapologetic introvert who loves nothing more than to be at home but even I'd really appreciate a break from all... this.

@RogerRoger It was kinda fun.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@Rondoooo9 Herd immunity is a bit pointless now though. We have several vaccines, might as well minimise deaths and maximise vaccine outreach instead of purposefully throwing vulnerable people under the bus in efforts to reach herd immunity.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

Don't see the issue with using a cross, and I'm probably the least religious person you can find. I'm not offended

@nessisonett Still doubt most of those bodies in the Vatican/Rome are even real. I've seen them up close, and they look like terrible mannequin dolls from a century ago.

Octane

zupertramp

@Octane idk, imagine having a deeply held belief in Judaism and your loved one dies and they are represented with a cross. I'm not at all religious either but I also understand some people are, and therein lies the rub. Here's just one of the many articles that come up when you do a search on Jews and the Christian cross.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/25/jews-cr...

I'm not exactly going to storm the courthouse but, having mulled it over much, I maintain it could easily not be a cross.

Edited on by zupertramp

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

Oh and totally unrelated but absolutely more on topic, this is an interesting article about our, I guess, misplaced obsession with keeping surfaces clean.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/end-hygiene...

Rondoooo9

@nessisonett seems more pointless to get a vaccine when you havent been sick in years and to force that upon people.

Whats up with Johnson and Johnson? Pulled the vaccine back after 6, SIX, not 6,000 or 600, S-I-X people reported having blood clots. Something else is going on. Was it rushed too quickly? Sure doesn't give one much trust to go put a mystery formula in their body. When people were already skeptical, they just made it much worse. What an effin mess. "GD wear a mask a tho". We will break every suggestion the cdc makes unless its the blessed masks lol. Soda? Nope lardass is still chugging. Smoking? Nope iron lung is still huffing. Masks, we will police each other over though. LOL!

Good luck putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Rondoooo9

nessisonett

@Rondoooo9 The vaccine isn’t just to protect you though. Even if you personally don’t have much trouble with the virus, you could walk past a person with asthma on the street while you flaunt your maskless ‘freedom’ and essentially be responsible for them being in intensive care.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@Rondoooo9 As far as I know, J&J hasn't pulled their vaccine. (Some) States are probably doing it because although thousands of people safely get it people focus on the few with complications. At least that's the situation stateside. I admit to knowing nothing about what vaccines are available elsewhere.

Also this can't possibly be the first vaccine forced on you so not sure why this one is so much of an exception. In fact some of the compulsory vaccines you got when you were younger probably have helped you lead a life free of sickness.

Edit: I do admit to having some skepticism about this vaccine tbf. I just think the overall benefits outweigh the possible harms that probably only exist in my mind.

Edit 2: my bad, guess there's a recommended pause on the J&J vaccine from FDA and CDC.

Edited on by zupertramp

Rondoooo9

@nessisonett extremely far fetched considering you're outside.

Edit: I live in a rural area. I have to drive miles to go walk down a street. Doesn't happen.

Edited on by Rondoooo9

Rondoooo9

Rondoooo9

@zupertramp because this one wasnt tested like other vaccines and was rushed out. Sure I had to get the normal vacc shots to attend college.

The point is this J&J issue is damaging their hopes of vaccinating everyone. Something is going on we're not told and this latest development will make more skeptical.

Rondoooo9

Th3solution

I’m not opposed to FDA/CDC being as cautious as possible and these things being studied and watched closely for safety, but I can’t help but think that we’d probably be appalled at the safety data when they gave everyone smallpox vaccines and polio vaccines first came out. Again, not saying we don’t need to be cautious and use modern science to the fullest, but now that we can gather mountains of data we are surely seeing issues that would have never been seen before. It’s probably a good thing, but you have to weigh the risk and benefit. How many people would have died from COVID (which also can cause blood clots I understand, even weeks after recovery) without the vaccine. People are dying everyday from COVID, actually. So at some point, we just need to accept that the vaccines may not be perfect and one in a million people who receive a vaccine may have a bad side effect. Sucks if you’re the one person, of course.
Anyway, not sure how I feel about it all, but I think it’s easy to be “Arm-chair quarterback” or “Monday morning quarterback” (the Americans out there will understand the reference) and judge from a distance. I always find it ironic how people who are anti-vaccine still benefit from those who actually take the chance and get the vaccine. Kinda like we all are the beneficiaries of all the folks who took the smallpox vaccine and polio vaccine back in the day.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@kyleforrester87 Keep in mind that there are also people who cannot get vaccinated due to medical reasons. They will be locked up inside until we all are vaccinated.

Octane

Octane

@Th3solution I don't get it either. People don't want to take the 1-in-a-million risk (assuming the cause of death are even caused by the vaccines), yet they don't seem to mind taking the 1-in-a-100 or 1000 risk that is associated with COVID, with the additional risk of spreading it to people who are much more vulnerable than you are.

Octane

Sorry, this topic has been locked.