Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 2,644

render

@MatthewJP I think we all expected the same. Basically the level is the boss as it’s quite a challenge as it is. The was the only biome I managed to do first time so I quite enjoyed it even though I managed to find the challenge room first 😆

render

MatthewJP

@Voltan I was worried the boss hadn't spawned or something! Biome 6 is surprisingly laid back and easy so far (I know the awful end boss awaits)

MatthewJP

MatthewJP

@render 'the level is the boss'.
That makes perfect sense now

MatthewJP

nessisonett

@MatthewJP I was stuck for a while on Biome 4 so when I finally beat it, I then expected to die on Biome 5’s boss, which obviously didn’t happen. So then I ended up beating Biome 6 first go as well! I think that without that kinda break after Biome 5 then there’s no way I would have beaten the last two biomes first try.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Thrillho

@MatthewJP I did get confused when you mentioned “an easy ride to the boss” for biome 5 on the previous page!

I got through biome 6 first time but it’s one where your run can get utterly ruined in a flash, particularly with the enemy that causes malfunctions. The constantly spawning enemies are great if you have the perk for getting health back with attacks!

The biome 6 boss I thought was fairly straightforward but I’ll give you the advice to keep an eye out between waves as occasionally health packs drop during that fight.

Good luck though!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Generally if you have portal beam against the Biome 6 boss then you win 😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Kidfried

I finally did it. I beat biome 4 after months and months. It felt like beating myself actually, because I couldn't believe I would ever finish this wretched biome.

The boss fight itself, and the lead up to it was amazing. I loved the music, the monster's design and the close quarters gameplay.

So uh... do you reckon I'll ever make it into biome 6? I'm not so sure, but I'll certainly die trying.

Kidfried

MatthewJP

@Kidfried well done. I did enjoy that boss and the lead up to it, great music.

I found biome 5 difficult but if I managed it I'm sure anyone can. I'm still yet to beat the final boss in 6....

MatthewJP

render

@Kidfried Well done, you’ve sure got some staying power to stick with it after all that time. It’s a great biome, one of the best, but I bet you are glad to see the back of it now. Have you been playing on and off or has it been your main game?

B5 should be interesting for you as it brings about some new challenges. Hopefully you can pick up a weapon you like with some awesome level 2 or 3 traits so you can make some progress. Lobber with explosive / trailing rot is my favourite but hollow seeker with portal beam would have been the weapon is used when I first cleared B5 and 6. You’ve got every chance of completing it 👍

render

MatthewJP

I've beat Ophion! It was actually pretty easy, felt more like housemarque were showing off there in terms of how many orbs and lasers they can get on screen at one time. Certainly succeeded, a proper next gen game.

Still so much to work out and do now I'm back at the ship. Trophies are 37% which says it all.

Have I got the push square record? (not in a good way) 69 hrs, 83 deaths

MatthewJP

Kidfried

@MatthewJP I just beat him too! I beat 4, 5 and 6 in one run actually. Seems like it was really just biome 4 holding me back...

Kidfried

MatthewJP

@Kidfried haha brilliant well done to you. Still appears there's a lot more to do to actually finish the game

MatthewJP

Kidfried

@MatthewJP Yeah, it's really late right now over here, I'm almost falling asleep, so I'll look into that later. For now, to bed and to dream of white shadows.

60 hours, 67 deaths

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried @MatthewJP Oh wow! Fantastic work, my friends! Kudos to both of you.

It’s such a rush to have a special run and beat the boss. So good.

The hard part is over now but you’re right, there’s some important game left over to at least see the end of Act 3. But by now, you know the tactics and have got gud with your skillz, so you can deftly mop up the final act hopefully.

Neither of you are close to my total, but you’re roughly on track. I think I was about 85 hours and around 90 deaths, if I recall. Somewhere in that ballpark. I think someone on here went over 120 hours. Maybe @johncalmc …. Seems he had a high playtime.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Kidfried That’s exactly what happened with me too! Biome 4 was the toughest one of that set and once that was down I also did 5 and 6 in the one run. I wonder if that’s common then!

Th3solution

@nessisonett 5 was a big stumbling block for me. But not as much as 3!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Thrillho

@MatthewJP @Kidfried Congrats folks!

I also struggled with B4 which seems weird in hindsight as it’s not the hardest biome. B3 and B6 I did first time.

Act 3 is fun as you’re pretty powerful now and have a good grasp on the game (hopefully!) but the RNG can make finding the fragments frustrating. The extra bit of story is cool though but don’t expect it to suddenly make sense of the story!

Thrillho

johncalmc

@Th3solution My finish time on Returnal was 124 hours and it wasn't a thing where I like went to the lakes for a weekend and left it running or anything - obviously there were times I went for a cuppa or whatever, but it was a mostly realistic time. I seem to recall it took me forty hours to get out of the first biome because I remember thinking that some people had finished the game in forty hours and I'd barely started it.

It's weird because while I wouldn't say I'm a great gamer or anything I'm not like a novice either. I've beaten some tough games, but this one really kicked my rump. I think part of the problem as well was how I approached runs sometimes. I was trying to clear out every room in every biome so I had the maximum EXP and money so I would be better equipped for future endeavours - this really hurt me in biome 3 where I spent the majority of my time. I kept getting to the final room and dying, but then someone - I think on here? - said to just run through the third biome as fast as possible and skip the final room because you don't need to fight everything in there, and when I did that I beat it on the second try.

johncalmc

Twitter:

CJD87

@Kidfried @MatthewJP Awesome and well done guys!

Reading this thread has made me realise how much I miss playing this game...

You're in a great position now - if you are hungry for more game, then Act 3 definitely incentivises continuing to play. But equally, if you're now 'breathing a sigh of relief' regarding completing all Biomes, then it is not necessarily a bad time to stop/break.

This game really had a hold on me, and it breaks my heart that GOTY didn't show it more love.

My 2 cents - I'd certainly encourage you both to push through Act 3, @Thrillho points it out well in that the extra story unveil is cool.... but possibly even more confusing than end of Act 2 ha!

Well done again guys.... Returnal is truly a test of 'gittin gud', very little opportunity to level up and/or cheese means that skills have to be honed!

CJD87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic