Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,481 to 2,500 of 2,757

CJD87

@FullMetalWesker Just jumping in on this thread (again!) due to my overall love of Returnal...

For what its worth, my favorite weapon by a long-shot was the Hollowseeker... particularly towards end-game, where you can level up amazing traits like Portal Beam. The weapon itself just seems to melt through enemies, and the traits/amenities serve nicely as auto-damage... v helpful in the last few biomes!

A close second for me though would be the Electropylon Driver. This is especially true on the occasions where I was playing 'cautious' runs, in that I could set up the pylons and then seek cover whilst they did the hard work for me..!

There were many runs I would give up on if I hadnt found a decently levelled Hollowseeker or Driver early.

I think that most of us can agree that the worst weapon by far is the shotgun? I would honestly rather take my chances with the default pistol!

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 Same here! I would only swap out them out with the Rotland Gobber in Biome 3. I found the Pylon essential in biomes 4 to 6, but no use against the final boss, which I always used the Hollowseeker seeker.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

R1spam

I've just beat the last boss and finished act 2, wow! My heart is pounding out my chest. That last biome was brutal The last boss not so much once I figured out where I was meant to shooting. I've seen credits roll and then looked up what it takes to get the final ending. I've been compelled to play this game every spare second I can but I need a break lol . I just wanted to give everyone a huge shout out for your tips and advice @CJD87, @Kidfried, @Thrilho, @render, @Th3solution without a bit of help at the start I would have completely bounced off this game.

P.s. for what it's worth I though hollowseeker with the portal unlock and the assault rifle with leach rounds unlocked where my favourite weapons.

Edited on by R1spam

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

Kidfried

@R1spam Those are my favorite weapons as well. Congratulations on beating it, it is truly an achievement. So be proud of it!
Also, I didn't really give any tips at all, but It'd be an honor if my spouting nonsense on here had helped you in any way at all.

Are you going to try for Act 3?

Kidfried

Just2Milky

@R1spam congrats, it feels really good when you beat the last boss! Will you go for act 3 and the platinum?

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

R1spam

@Kidfried @Just2Milky I'm not a trophy hunter so I'm definitely not interested in the platinum but maybe act 3. I suspect not though, I've enjoyed my time with the game but given only really ether and weapons unlocks persist between runs, I think its probably a boss/biome too far.

Thrillho

@R1spam Huzzah, good work on beating Act 2!

I went for Act 3 but not the platinum and am glad I did. It's not anywhere near as hard as what you've done but there can be a little bit of randomness as to whether the areas you need to find turn up when you're in the biome. I'm glad I did it though and I'm sure you'll have the itch to play the game again if you move onto something else for a bit

Thrillho

Th3solution

@R1spam nice job! Congrats! What a great game, eh? You might consider doing Act 3 just for the additional story points. It does add a little to be able to see the end. It’s also actually not that long. It’s much quicker to do than to get through acts 1 and 2. I won’t spoil exactly how and what you do to complete it, but if you need help, holler.

@FullMetalWesker Yeah, it is interesting how everyone struggles with a different boss or biome. I beat Ixion on my first attempt, but Phrike took me several tries and I even watched several YouTube videos breaking down the boss’s moves and strategies.

And I’ll echo @velio84 who expressed my exact feelings on which weapon is favorite. Dreadbound just feels so good to shoot and is so effective in the right scenarios. Unfortunately it’s fairly useless in most boss fights and in Biome 6. So next favorite is probably Electropylon Driver and then Hollowseeker.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

render

@R1spam Well done, it’s a big effort to get to the end of Returnal so a big congrats. I was still loving the game by that stage so was happy to carry on but I can also see the other side so can’t blame you for wanting a break. I hope you carry on playing to at least do Act 3 as the game should feel a lot easier now and you can go out there feeling like a god 💪😀

render

FullMetalWesker

So, the general consensus seems to be the Hollowseeker, Electro Driver, Rotgland, and Dreadbound. That’s interesting. I’m not surprised the driver is up there; I tried one as part of a daily challenge and that thing just tore through everything, while allowing me to stay safe behind cover to boot.
Don’t know about the Dreadbound, haven’t seen that yet. A little surprised to read so many saying the Hollowseeker, but a couple mentioned Portal Rounds which I haven’t unlocked yet, so might have to keep that in mind.

On a side note, is it worth trying to re-beat bosses when going through old biomes (e.g. beating Phrike and Ixion again while building up my arsenal for Biome 3)? I’ve been mostly avoiding them so far (partly because the one time I did try, I ended up dying), but I’ve been curious as to whether I’m missing out on something useful?

FullMetalWesker

Voltan

@FullMetalWesker beating a boss again will give you 5 ether and a random item but I don’t think it’s worth it unless you feel very confident about it. However, it might be a good idea to challenge Phrike if you find a datacube in biome 1 (as the cube processor in that biome can only be accessed after that fight).

Voltan

render

@FullMetalWesker All the guns live and die on their traits so they can be made massively better with some good ones. Portal beam, serrated and phased rounds I think are some of the best for the hollowseeker and really change how useful it can be. The dreadbound can be really good but needs things like forth shard, and expanding shard to make it really useful. As it relies on the shards coming back to you before you can fire them again I found that it's awesome for things really close to you but if something is further away you occasionally get that brown trouser moment waiting for them to return.

Both the pylon and lobber are great for doing damage to hostiles even after they've taken that initial hit but the lobber is my favourite out of the two. Exploding, trailing, durable and caustic rot are all great and it can obliterate some things in an instant.

render

FullMetalWesker

@velio84 - You know, it’s funny; I used to think having to grind for blood vials after dying to a Boss in Bloodborne was an annoying waste of time. “Why can’t I just challenge the boss again?!” I would ask.
Now having played this, that sounds awfully quick 😄

Fair enough, I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing then (thanks @Voltan for the info).

So, I was planning on starting this with on a triumphant note, but unfortunately for me I kept playing, and now that feeling has deflated somewhat. On the plus side, I defeated Nemesis, and on the first try as well! Honestly didn’t know what the heck was going on, and once again only barely scraped through (well, not really, as I had a revive ready, but my health was low, so it felt like it) but I made it, and finished Act 1.
Then I started going through Biome 4, and after finding an electro driver, proceeded to breeze through the entire area with it, boss included (I get what you guys were saying about it not being good on bosses, as there were times where it didn’t seem to want to work, but thankfully it wasn’t that often) and now I’m in Biome 5, once again breezing through (though at the end I switched to a carbine, so it might get hard again now) and wonderingly where the difficulty went.
I’m not sure how much of this is the electro driver being op, or me being so in tune with the game’s rhythm that I can just deal with whatever the game throws at me, but it’s been weird going through these last two biomes and not having to deal with a further increase in difficulty, as it had been pretty constant throughout the first three. I guess I’ll find out when I continue.

On a side note, I was surprised at how different Biome 5 was, especially when 4 was more of the same. But I guess in hindsight it isn’t that surprising that a level like this was included, as they’re pretty common in general

Edited on by FullMetalWesker

FullMetalWesker

R1spam

@FullMetalWesker this was not my experience for areas, though I definitely feel boss difficulty dropped after act 1. Nothing felt as tough as ixion but I died a whole bunch in B4. Just roll with it and hope it continues on to B6.

johncalmc

Anyone else ever just randomly think about starting Returnal again?

It really has that Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro thing for me where I've constantly got in the back of my mind this feeling that I would love to just play one of them again but my brain overrules it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@johncalmc Yep almost did over Christmas after watching a few videos of other people playing. I knew that if I started playing again though I'd likely not be able to stop until I finished it and I've got so much else to play.

@MightyDemon82 There's no sign of any DLC at the moment and HMQ seem to be tightlipped on what they are working on.

render

Elodin

@johncalmc I hope back in at least once a month for a few runs which turns into a few more runs.

Elodin

JohnnyShoulder

@johncalmc Yeah, when ever I'm reading someone playing the game in here. But I've traded the game in so I can't.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fill3rup_

Im currently going for the Plat,that RNG is quite something.. also, Biome 6 is a MFer..

Fill3rup_

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic