Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,481 to 2,500 of 2,535

render

@Kidfried @MatthewJP Congrats for beating the game. That must feel like a massive victory for the both of you.

It's definitely worth going for Act 3 and by now you will be super good so you should just charge through it!

@CJD87 Really miss playing this game as well. I was actually tempted to fire it up the other day just so I could experience how good it is all over again but got lots of other games on the go so held off. I'm going to leave it a while to see if we ever do get any DLC and if not I might just go ahead and delete my save just to play it through again.

render

MatthewJP

Yeah I'll definitely be continuing to play on.
I usually trade in games after finishing them, and only ever keep hold of real masterpieces. Returnal will be staying.

MatthewJP

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP @Kidfried Sorry for the late response, but congratulations! Act 3 is worth it, and very little grinding is needed, as what you are looking for is a guaranteed spawn in your run.

“Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.”

_____

“Someone must extinguish thy flame. They will fight, and they will die. A lowly Tarnished, playing as a lord. I command thee, kneel!”

CJD87

@MatthewJP Careful mate, the guys on here will soon convince you to join 'Club Platinum'...! But honestly, if you're still having fun (+ can stomach some tedious RNG/collectables) then its worth a shot.

Paid 70 £GBP for this at launch, and don't begrudge paying full price. I just wish patch 2.0 had existed earlier ha...

CJD87

Thrillho

I’m planning to go back to it at some point; I need some more good screenshots for the yearly forum competition if nothing else!

Thrillho

Kidfried

I have been glowing with pride since I got out of bed this morning, just thinking back to this achievement. That probably sounds stupid, but when you rise above yourself like that, it's truly a magnificent feeling and it's also why I love games as a medium so much.

... obviously Returnal is still one of my favorites for GOTY.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried For sure. I definitely agree. Few things can give one a sense of immediate accomplishment like a well crafted gaming experience.

Out of curiosity, during your epic final run through Biomes 4, 5, and 6, did you do it all in one sitting or did you use the new suspend/save feature? Just curious if you had success by breaking it up. I’m of two mind on it. The few times I put the PS5 in rest mode during a run (prior to the current update with the save feature) I sometimes went back in and found I had lost my edge and was no longer ‘in the zone.’ But also there are times the sheer fatigue (mental and physical) of a long run was making me sloppy and I did better if I took a break.

How did it go for you? All at once, or broken up? How long (in-game time) was that final run?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Kidfried

@Th3solution I had a break in the middle actually, in which I used the new feature as well. I have a problem with my PS5 that sometimes the HDR will look ugly unless I reset after switching between game and dashboard, so it's great that I now had that as a back up.

I had a friend over for dinner, so I think she was here for an hour or two or three. But that was still really early on during my run, and I remember thinking that first 20 minutes that it wasn't a great run anyway.

What kind of saved my run was how during the end of Biome 4 came together out of nowhere: I got all kinds of boosts from successful reloading, I had an artifact that increased my life total for every parasite attached and detached, and from that moment one I just picked up every parasite in the game. I doubled my life total eventually, which is when I knew my run was pretty special.

So I did the part that mattered, which was about 2.5/3 hours, all in one sitting, but I took breaks often, so I was able to keep my concentration up.

Also I did it all with a level 25 gun with only level 1 perks. I just was way too afraid that switching gun type would ruin my flow.

Kidfried

render

@Kidfried I remember doing a few runs through B6 with a much lower proficiency weapon for the same reason. You get really attached to a gun if you are doing well and it almost matters more what the traits are than the level of them.

I also always kept away from things like the coilspine shredder or pyrocaster even if they were of a high level just because I was never accurate enough.

It does sound like the suspend a run feature has been a success though so that’s no bad thing. I am still glad I did it without in the sense that it added to the peril of the game but I wonder I do wonder if things would have played out any differently if it had been there when I was playing it.

render

MatthewJP

Doing act 3 now, I've collected the fragments from 1-3 and beat nemesis again and got a little cut scene.

It was like visiting old friends, going back to biomes 1-3

MatthewJP

Kidfried

The game awards nominees were unveiled some time ago, but only now did I see the nominees for music. Was really weird not seeing Returnal there either, but Deathloop took its spot again.

Don't know about you people, but I really loved the music.

(Also, Chicory had the best soundtrack of the year)

Kidfried

render

@Kidfried The music is amazing, and the whole soundscape of the game really. I'd also say it's the best use of 3D audio on any PS5 game so far. Out of all the biomes B4 seems to bring everything together the best there.

render

nessisonett

@Kidfried @render See, in the Oscars you have the distinction between music and audio. If there was a specific audio award then Returnal would win that hands down as it properly pushes the 3D audio and has a very interesting soundscape. I wouldn’t say that the music was really all that memorable though outside of the Biome 4 boss. It was more the sound mixing and general ambience that impressed me.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Elodin

@render @kidfried couldn't agree with you more. The sound work is fantastic. Biome 4 I play the most and even climb to the boss just to hear the rising sounds of the organ. Overall my game of the year, sad it wasn't even nominated.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

Voltan

@nessisonett There is a specific audio award and Returnal is nominated for it

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan There we go then!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

KilloWertz

Hearing about the audio almost makes me want get a Pulse headset. Almost, but I'd rarely use it beyond for games like this now that I have Returnal.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz

Voltan

@KilloWertz I literally never used headphones with my PS4 but I started using them a bunch with the PS5. I'm just plugging in the wired headphones I already owned, because they're pretty good and I don't really need another pair.
The DualSense's built in microphone does a surprisingly decent job too, effectively eliminating a need to own a dedicated gaming headset.

Voltan

KilloWertz

@Voltan I would only use them for select games that have really good atmospheric audio, like Returnal or on Xbox like The Medium or Hellblade. It's cheaper to just take people's word for it instead.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz

Kidfried

@nessisonett It's not like Returnal is one of the best soundtracks of all time, but I do believe it's interesting.

" I wouldn’t say that the music was really all that memorable though outside of the Biome 4 boss. It was more the sound mixing and general ambience that impressed me."

I thought the piano motif was used to strong effect, and it actually had some kind of function and meaning within the game, more than most games in which music is like a bit of a wallpaper.

Also still think ambient music is underrated everywhere. It's not music music, but what Returnal does well is not merely audio design.

I also think this soundtrack is strong, because Returnal is very much a sci fi game, but it doesn't have the enormous trumpet heavy cliché-ridden symphonic music that all these games seem to have. For comparison, just listen to the Guardians soundtrack, which is nominated. If I had told you it was any other game in the genre, you would have believed me too.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2a4d7wPIMXe58843Rs5Tk2?si=b844...

Then Returnal, immediately recognizable:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1TdbweqOvtgUWBj0WhQf7a?si=bbbe...

I will admit to being truly biased. I've been a casual fan of composer Haxan Cloak ever since Family by Bjork, liked his work with Serpentwithfeet and was truly enamored with Midsommar. So when he was announced as Returnal's composer I had already made up my mind up that I would love the soundtrack in advance. :')

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic